This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

So Much for Hulu

RymRym
edited October 2009 in Everything Else
It appears that, starting next year, Hulu is going to begin the transition to a pay model.

I finally have a chance to prove to the world that I am, in fact, a psychic prognosticator. I hereby foretell the following fate:

Ahem...

In 2010, Hulu viewership will plummet.

In all seriousness, I don't think anyone involved realizes that the majority of the people watching Hulu only do so because it is free. It's just one more source of idle Internet entertainment among thousands. If it costs anything, people will simply go elsewhere for their circuses. Even worse, I foresee this going the same route as cable television. Many of you may be too young to remember, but the original selling point of cable was that many of the channels were ad free. But, as CATV supplanted broadcast television, the ads crept in. I'll wager Hulu will charge for the content and, if they do not at the start, will eventually also continue to show ads.

I gave up the Daily Show when I gave up TV a decade ago (Fuck, I feel old... I watched TDS for four years before I left for university, which itself was a decade past). With Hulu, I could watch it again, as, as much as I enjoyed it, the show was never worth anything more than free to me. I may well have to give it up a second time. The same goes for Family Guy and The Simpsons. They're funny, but not worth any amount of money to me.

Comments

• Well, I certainly won't pay for it. Not when Netflix Instant exists and is getting bigger, better, and higher-def content to begin with.
  • The Daily Show is on Comedy Central's website as well. Hulu tanking will not interrupt your enjoyment.
  • The Daily Show is on Comedy Central's website as well.
    Bully, then.
  • Depends on somewhat how the system will work and how much it will cost. If the latest episodes are still free and past seasons you have to pay, I see no change. However, I don't think they will make near what they are expecting by doing this. If the whole site is pay to watch its going to fail hard.
  • Bully, then.
    Jesus Rym, How many times have I gone to the Dailyshow site to show you a episode.. They have every single eps of the show stored. I watch the show nearly every morning as I get ready for work ^_^ They have always been good at updating the site the day after with the new eps.
  • edited October 2009
    Here's an idea, but I doubt the people running Hulu are smart enough for it.

Most people are really only going to watch what's free. Maybe some people who already buy TV shows on iTunes or DVD might buy them on Hulu instead, if Netflix doesn't have the show streaming and Hulu has a better price.

If they do leave some shows as free, then I predict those shows are going to get lots of viewers. That is they will have far more viewers than they would have gotten competing against all the other free shows on Hulu.

Now think about that in reverse. Hulu will have the power to determine what shows are popular by deciding which shows are free. Of course a bad show will not be popular, even if it's free. However, putting out an episode 1 for free amidst a sea of non-free is going to get a lot of views. Whoever controls the prices at Hulu will have a larger amount of control over which shows make the cut than the viewers do.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited October 2009
    If it goes to a pay mode, I will just download the shows I care about or get them through the individual network's website.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • The Daily Show is on Comedy Central's website as well.
    Bully, then.
    Yep, and I've taken to watching it there rather than on Hulu, because I get smoother video. My problems paying for Hulu are thus:

1) The streaming quality sucks for me. Maybe it's just my computers, but the video is stuttery and choppy recently. Sites like Comedy Central and South Park Studios don't have that problem.
    2) I have to re-watch the ad at the beginning of the episode every time I reload the show, even if it's in my queue and has saved my place. If it knows I am halfway through the episode, then it should know I already watched an ad.
    3) I already pay for cable because my roommate wanted it, and we have TiVo. I will simply learn how to use it and record the shows I want to watch that way, since there is no extra cost to me. Hulu was convenient, but I am not willing to double-pay for content that is poorly-presented.
    4) Did I mention my internet connection sucks here? My internet connection drops several time throughout an episode, and stays out for about a minute. This wreaks all kinds of havoc on Hulu.

Hulu used to be a service I was willing to pay for. Through a combination of their degradation and my own acquisition of cable, they are not any longer.
  • I've heard this quote, from this exact guy, before. I'm pretty sure that Gizmodo article is either shit old or based on a shit old quote.
    And note that this person is an executive from News Corp, not actually from Hulu. He still has the other two major stakeholders (NBC/Universal and ABC) to convince.
  • 1) The streaming quality sucks for me. Maybe it's just my computers, but the video is stuttery and choppy recently. Sites like Comedy Central and South Park Studios don't have that problem.
    I'm having this problem as well. I can't watch more than 5 minutes of hulu at a time without it stopping, but I can stream from South Park Studios or ABC.com just fine.
  • I live in Australia. No Hulu here, so basically all of my television comes from EZTV.
    I wonder how many people will transition from Hulu to EZTV? The proportion of people able to handle torrents continues to rise, and EZTV is, well, easy.
  • *news*
    Well, there goes my plans of getting rid of cable in my parents house.
  • *news*
    Well, there goes my plans of getting rid of cable in my parents house.
    Download?
  • It depends on their pricing, quality and how much content they offer. If I could pay less than my current DirectTV bill and get ALL of the shows we watch I would pay for Hulu.

I've been looking for a way to ditch my TV service for months now but I have not been able to find a good replacement. Netflix has recently begun adding current season TV shows to their on demand line up but not for all networks. Many networks offer streaming of their shows from their website but that would require hooking a computer up to my TV rather than simply using the 360 as an extender (why is there no web browser on that thing???) Some of those networks (kid nets mostly) only offer crappy versions of their shows online if at all.
  • I wonder how many people will transition from Hulu to EZTV? The proportion of people able to handle torrents continues to rise, and EZTV is, well, easy.
    <3 EZTV, though it's been a while since I last used it.
  • The problem I have with Hulu is the same problem I have with pretty much all Flash video -- I can't keep it fullscreened on my second monitor while working on my first monitor, and I can't control it with global hotkeys. If there was any streaming service that did these things, I'd very much consider paying.
  • Well it looks like I'll be back to Torrents if this happens. Can get the few shows i watch in much better quality anyways. That is if this happens. I heard rumors about this a few months ago so I'm not sure if it will actually happen. Why would they shoot themselves in the foot when they have something good going.
  • Why would they shoot themselves in the foot when they have something good going?
    I feel like between DRM, awesome-but-crippled media formats, once-free-now-pay services, and all the other similar situations over the years, this question just has no reasonable answer and never will.
  • If you actually read the real article, instead of the breathless Gizmodo article, they cut out part of the quote, and parsed what they cherry-picked way too closely. Here's the actual, factual quote, which leads me to believe this is just one guy spitballing:
    Carey, who says heÂ’s only been to one Hulu board meeting since arriving at News Corp., suggests there is still no timeline but supposes itÂ’s at least in 2010. Carey says that while throwing up a pay-wall around all content is not the answer, it doesnÂ’t mean there wont be fees for some specially-created content and TV previews. Windows are just around the corner. American Idol audition previews anyone? Mobile Hulu is another potential way of making money.
    [Emphasis mine]
  • The post was updated with this, an e-mail that a reader got from Hulu when he questioned them about a pay model.
    Don't worry, Hulu's mission has always been to help people find and enjoy the world's premium, professionally produced content. We continue to believe that the ad-supported, free service is the one that resonates most with the largest group of users and any possible new business models would serve to complement our
    existing offering.

Thanks,

Betina Chan-Martin
    Hulu
  • I don't understand why people still read Gizmodo when they consistently post bullshit like this. They're just terrible and unprofessional journalists, if that's what you want to call them. I'll stick with Engadget, thank you.
  • I could see paying for internet television if it was the right model. I prefer Hulu over most of the network sites but I don't have the connection issues some people have here. Mine works every time, the first time.

I really like the model for torrents and rss for filtered download though I admit I've transitioned quite a bit of my EZTV time to Hulu in the past months.
  • I could see paying for internet television if it was the right model.
    The reason I can't is that I don't even pay for regular television. There's just nothing on that's worth any amount of money to me. Hulu is barely worth the ads I have to sit through as it is.

At least South Park is easy and free to watch, and probably will be for as long as it exists.
  • As is the case with music, I'd be willing to pay a small monthly fee to access a large quantity of DRM and ad-free entertainment, on demand, with excellent download speeds. I don't see that happening any time soon, but I'd be willing to pay for it. Actually, it would be best to be able to subscribe to only the content I want, and pay an adjusted fee based on the amount of access. Man, that'd be nice.

It's still free for now, and I can sit through the two minutes of advertising to access the content. Hell, I just pop up another browser tab and ignore the ad altogether.
  • I could see paying for internet television if it was the right model. I prefer Hulu over most of the network sites but I don't have the connection issues some people have here. Mine works every time, the first time.
    I thought about this too. I enjoy having and HD DVR box from Comcast. I get to record shows in HD and watch them when I want to. I know I probably could watch them online, but I like watching shows on my couch on my big screen TV.

I love how more shows are easily available to watch on streaming Netflix. It gets me interested in newer shows, and I can get the next episode without having to wait. Another awesome thing is a few of the newer shows released their brand new episodes for a short period of time after it's aired. Some of these shows are from either HBO or Showtime, so I don't have to get the additional channel package.

If Netflix or something similar could have a larger array of shows and movies that I can watch whenever with no limitations, I would happily pay around $50/month for it.

For now, I have gotten into Leverage and am getting way too spoiled with all the Law & Order SVU on Netflx. No commercials, in HD, I'm blissfully happy.
  • I could see paying for internet television if it was the right model.
    The reason I can't is that I don't even pay for regular television. There's just nothing on that's worth any amount of money to me. Hulu is barely worth the ads I have to sit through as it is.
    I can totally see that if you don't like TV then you wouldn't watch it. I have about 8 shows a week I watch regularly but I'm always a few weeks behind. My wife watches a few more shows that I don't and Hulu is good for that too.

Between Netflix instant queue, torrents, and hulu/network internet channels, the Netflix model wins out most of the time for me. If they had more shows on Netflix as they air I'd be set.
  • Between Netflix instant queue, torrents, and hulu/network internet channels, the Netflix model wins out most of the time for me. If they had more shows on Netflix as they air I'd be set.
    Indeed. I currently am on the 1-DVD out at a time with Blu-Ray upgrade membership with Netflix. With how much I watch on my Xbox, I'm getting way more out of it than what I pay.
  • Apparently, Netflix Live Streaming is coming out on the PS3 next month...for free. Got damn, Scrym.
  • edited October 2009
    Apparently, Netflix Live Streaming is coming out on the PS3 next month...for free. Got damn, Scrym.
    You still have to pay for a Netflix account. The free part only applies to actually streaming app.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited October 2009
    Paying for the Netflix account is a given. For the 360, you also have to pay for an Xbox Live Gold membership.
    Post edited by VentureJ on