This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What the hell is wrong with my friends

2»

Comments

• What's wrong with them? Nothing, they have different tastes than you do.
    If they don't like Cowboy Bebop, that's fine. If they don't like Cowboy Bebop and love Rosario + Vampire, you got a problem.
    How is this a problem? I love both, taste is taste, and you're turning that into an absolute statement makes you look like an ignorant twat.
    It's half-joke/half-experience. You just feel very odd if you like something that none of your friends seem to like or if all your friends love something that you don't like.
    edited October 2009
    How is this a problem? I love both, taste is taste, and you're turning that into an absolute statement makes you look like an ignorant twat.
    Read the line you're responding to again Loganator. The statement was
    dislike Cowboy Bebop and like Rosario+Vampire
    It said nothing about anything being wrong with you if you like both. Churba, could you pass me that bag with cement?
    Post edited by ... on
  • Churba, could you pass me that bag with cement?
    Make sure you add the right amount of sand and gravel, or else you'll end up with relatively light, and rather brittle concrete.
  • Seriously, they're morons if they don't like it because I've done research (in my red lab coat) that shows it's statistically impossible to dislike Cowboy Bebop on any level except if you are moron.
    Only the Sith deal in Absolutes.
    Isn't that an absolute? I'm watching you, mister.
  • Make sure you add the right amount of sand and gravel, or else you'll end up with relatively light, and rather brittle concrete.
    Carp, I don't want everyone to sound like Biker Yupa.
  • Biker Yupa.
    Does someone have an MP3 of this? I want to hear Biker Yupa.
  • I like how it seems that the initial general response to this thread/question is the whole "EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO THEIR OWN OPINIONZ K?!?" shtick. I'm pretty sure that most, if not all people here, are well aware of the fact that everyone has different tastes and that they are entitled to those tastes. (At least I hope so.)

It seems that michaelmon is raising the sentiment that he can't really comprehend how someone he knows and respects could possibly dislike/be ignorant of what he sees as one of the greatest animated works in existence. I've experienced the same thing a few times with a few of my friends. I can tell them that they're entitled to their own opinion, but I just don't freakin' get it and I think they're insane.

Like 27 year olds who think Yu Gi Oh is awesome. I don't get that. I don't need a magical sparkling Jiminy Cricket to pop out of my ear and start singing about how everyone's unique opinion makes the world go 'round, I already know that. That doesn't mean I'm forbidden from wondering what the hell is wrong with that unique 27-year-old Yu Gi Oh fan.
  • I don't need a magical sparkling Jiminy Cricket to pop out of my ear and start singing about how everyone's unique opinion makes the world go 'round, I already know that. That doesn't mean I'm forbidden from wondering what the hell is wrong with that unique 27-year-old Yu Gi Oh fan.
    Exactly. People are welcome to enjoy what they will, but others are free to evaluate those likes and dislikes in their assessment of said people. In the example of, say, Cowboy Bebop, or Christianity, I've never encountered an intelligently articulated argument or rationale behind an opinion contrary to my own, and have simultaneously found numerous such arguments in my favor. Ergo, I stand by and defend my opinion, and have good cause to cast doubt on the intellectual faculties or knowledge base of those with a contrary one.

Secondarily, I hold any opinion which does not include some sort of rationale as being of zero value. If someone claims to like or dislike something, and they cannot articulate why, then they'd might as well have said nothing at all. Unbacked opinions are worthless. Strongly held unbacked opinions are dangerous.
  • Like 27 year olds who think Yu Gi Oh is awesome.
    If I remember correctly the first couple of manga were pretty intense...or at least I thought so when I was 14. It was actually pretty violent and had almost no card battles. I remember one chapter where they played air hockey with a frozen bomb on a grill. I could be wrong, because it has been so long, but I just thought I'd put in my 2 cents.
    If I remember correctly the first couple of manga were pretty intense...or at least I thought so when I was 14. It was actually pretty violent and had almost no card battles. I remember one chapter where they played air hockey with a frozen bomb on a grill. I could be wrong, because it has been so long, but I just thought I'd put in my 2 cents.
    No, I remember that bit too. It pales in comparison to Kaiba's death theme park that includes a haunted house stalked by an actual serial killer and a Tetris death room. Keep in mind the whole point of the death theme park is to revenge cause Yugi's grandfather beat him in a card game.
    No, I remember that bit too. It pales in comparison to Kaiba's death theme park that includes a haunted house stalked by an actual serial killer and a Tetris death room. Keep in mind the whole point of the death theme park is to revenge cause Yugi's grandfather beat him in a card game.
    I think I remember that, but I was mainly talking about before they really had any card battles. In the first few volumes there are maybe a couple of them...if I remember correctly. Like I said, it has been years since I read it.
    I think I remember that, but I was mainly talking about before they really had any card battles. In the first few volumes there are maybe a couple of them...if I remember correctly. Like I said, it has been years since I read it.
    We're still talking about the same part. The card game first appeared as just another story device in the series. As I understand it, the game became so popular with the readers the author fleshed it out and made it the focus of the series. The super card game-centric stuff officially starts after this arc.
  • Exactly. People are welcome to enjoy what they will, but others are free to evaluate those likes and dislikes in their assessment of said people. In the example of, say, Cowboy Bebop, or Christianity, I've never encountered an intelligently articulated argument or rationale behind an opinion contrary to my own, and have simultaneously found numerous such arguments in my favor. Ergo, I stand by and defend my opinion, and have good cause to cast doubt on the intellectual faculties or knowledge base of those with a contrary one.

Secondarily, I hold any opinion which does not include some sort of rationale as being of zero value. If someone claims to like or dislike something, and they cannot articulate why, then they'd might as well have said nothing at all. Unbacked opinions are worthless. Strongly held unbacked opinions are dangerous.
    I'll have to talk to my dad again sometime and get him to restate his opinions on Cowboy Bebop for me. The man is a very learned English teacher, and while he does not dislike Cowboy Bebop, he is also not entirely enamoured with it. I remember him explaining his thoughts to me at one point while we were watching the show together, but I can't remember all of or exactly what he said, only that it involved finding the plots of most of the stand-alone episodes he saw un-engaging and the plot of the "plot" episodes better, but a bit off.

It is worth noting that he only saw half the series, though. I should probably encourage him to finish it sometime.
  • Like 27 year olds who think Yu Gi Oh is awesome. I don't get that. I don't need a magical sparkling Jiminy Cricket to pop out of my ear and start singing about how everyone's unique opinion makes the world go 'round, I already know that. That doesn't mean I'm forbidden from wondering what the hell is wrong with that unique 27-year-old Yu Gi Oh fan.
    Exactly. People are welcome to enjoy what they will, but others are free to evaluate those likes and dislikes in their assessment of said people.
    While you are indeed entirely free to form your own opinions about others' opinions. Asking others to then tell you why you have your opinion should still be met with "Their opinion is not wrong." as has been shown in this thread.
  • So, Nineless, is changing people's names in the quotes an attempt at trolling what they say, at trolling about us complaining about the potential of a glitchy Vanilla, or some combination of both? If it's just the Vanilla thing, it's kinda funny. But if it's trolling, then it seems unnecessary. You were a very successful troll before then, so I don't see the need to add it.
  • edited October 2009
    Based on what I know of Nine, people bitching about the Vanillauser error thing got him so he is retaliating against the forum at large.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • So, Nineless, is changing people's names in the quotes an attempt at trolling what they say, at trolling about us complaining about the potential of a glitchy Vanilla, or some combination of both? If it's just the Vanilla thing, it's kinda funny. But if it's trolling, then it seems unnecessary. You were a very successful troll before then, so I don't see the need to add it.
    No, it has something to do with suggesting Yupa to commit suicide by Russian roulette, we clear bro?
  • Based on what I know of Nine, people bitching about theVanillauser errorthing got him so he is retaliating against the forum at large.
    Really? I just thought he really liked penis [-5 for obvious joke.].
  • Axel seems to have trouble with understanding subtext around here, so I try to explain it to him.
  • So, be nice to people, respect their opinions even if you think they're stupid, etc.
    I think the purpose of this topic has been served.
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2009
    So, be nice to people, respect their opinions even if you think they're stupid, etc.
    I think the purpose of this topic has been served.
    But there is a fine line of people's opinions and not understanding what they have seen/read fully. I can't tell you how many people I've met (and even some I know) who dislike things because they didn't understand it nor did they make the attempt to understand it. It's one thing if you attempt to figure out the message of something and succeed and therefore fully understand it, but dislike it. It's another thing however, to just dislike something for shallow reasons and not have any other credible or valid reasons to back up your opinion or make the effort to understand it. People can do what they want, but they will still look close-minded if they don't like something and not have the evidence to fully explain their position.

EDIT: Concerning the latter sentence, it's been my experience that a lot of people just say "It's my opinion" as an excuse or as a default answer but don't fully go through on the necessary explaining.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Even if you think someone's opinion is invalid, nothing we do will change that. People are stubborn. So are all of us. This huge wall of stubbornness is not going to allow us to reach any kind of resolution. You're absolutely right, from the perspective of people like us, or like the rest of this forum really, since I think I fall into the category that everyone is describing with some of my opinions. *Coughcough.*
    But, despite that, people should be allowed to be shallow. We should never have to like it, but they're allowed that. They allow us to be weird and like "abnormal" things. Despite their strong suggestion that we conform, they don't force us or tell us we're wrong, just like we strongly suggest that they like Cowboy Bebop, but don't force them and say they're wrong for not liking it. That's the way things are.
  • Really? I just thought he really liked penis [-5 for obvious joke.].
    *Slaps omnutia's wrist* No! Bad! I've told you about low hanging fruit.
  • *Slaps omnutia's wrist* No! Bad! I've told you about low hanging fruit.
    But it would be weird if some guys' balls are where his nipples are supposed to be!
  • edited October 2009
    But, despite that, people should be allowed to be shallow.
    A pointless statement. How could we possibly not allow them to be shallow?

We are free to try our best to convince other people of what we believe is true, as long as we do not violate their rights. We are also free to be annoyed, distance ourselves from them, or defend our own opinion when others do the same to us, as long as we do not violate their rights. Nothing more is needed, nor is there a need to step lightly around their opinions saying "I disagree, but their opinion is equally valid even though I don't believe it is true..." It's just a waste of words, and says exactly the same thing as just saying they're wrong. Unless explicitly backed up by evidence, anything you say is an opinion.
    Even if you think someone's opinion is invalid, nothing we do will change that. People are stubborn. So are all of us. This huge wall of stubbornness is not going to allow us to reach any kind of resolution.
    That's not always true. It's the rare case where we do break through the hidden wall of stubbornness that makes it worthwhile.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on