This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Venture Brothers

edited October 2009 in Everything Else
It's probaby the most consistenly funny show on TV right now and the Monarch's crew and Dr. Orpheus are obviously the best characters. Discuss.

Comments

• Hank is really coming into his own this season. I wonder if we are going to have some Dean heavy episodes later on.
  • It's probaby the most consistenly funny show on TV right now and the Monarch's crew and Dr. Orpheus are obviously the best characters. Discuss.
    I especially love how the whole show is just one straight up parody of the original Johnny Quest show, and how there are so many references to the old show as well. Also, I'd have to say that the Monarch's crew are indeed the best characters
  • and how there are so many references to the old show as well.
    They parody everything. I was watching one tonight where they grab a couple of random lines from The Godfather.
  • They seem to like David Bowie alot as well.
  • and how there are so many references to the old show as well.
    They parody everything. I was watching one tonight where they grab a couple of random lines from The Godfather.
    I love how it parodies just about EVERYTHING and it manages to be absolutely hilarious. I'm really looking forward to what they do this season.

Dr. Orpheus and the Monarch Crew are definitely great, but they have some great recurring and one-shot characters.
  • edited October 2009
    but they have some great recurring and one-shot characters.
    Like Dr. Dugong... "I have a tank of gentle cuttlefish!"
    I'm really looking forward to what they do this season.
    I'm expecially excited for the over-arching plot for this season, it seems really interesting. Needs more Brock, though.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • You know. I love the concept of this show, and my name includes "Venture" in it, but I just can't watch this show due to my Butterfly Phobia.
  • edited October 2009
    I just can't watch this show due to my Butterfly Phobia.
    So you fear the sting of the mighty Monarch?
  • I've been meaning to really sit down and watch this show. I've seen random episodes here and there, and it tends to be hit or miss with me. The thing is, when it hits, it tends to really hit. Any recommendations as to where I should start?
  • I've been meaning to really sit down and watch this show. I've seen random episodes here and there, and it tends to be hit or miss with me. The thing is, when it hits, it tends toreallyhit. Any recommendations as to where I should start?
    Episodes 5 ("Eeney, Meeney, Miney... Magic!"), 7 ("Ice Station – Impossible!"), 10 ("Tag Sale – You're It!"), and 12 ("The Trial of the Monarch") are my personal favourites off of season 1. You should start from the beginning, as every season builds off of the previous and there is a slight overarching story.
  • edited October 2009
    Any recommendations as to where I should start?
    I've got the box set for season 1. You should start there.
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • For those who do that sort of thing, here's the show free.
  • I've been meaning to really sit down and watch this show. I've seen random episodes here and there, and it tends to be hit or miss with me. The thing is, when it hits, it tends toreallyhit. Any recommendations as to where I should start?
    Episodes 5 ("Eeney, Meeney, Miney... Magic!"), 7 ("Ice Station – Impossible!"), 10 ("Tag Sale – You're It!"), and 12 ("The Trial of the Monarch") are my personal favourites off of season 1. You should start from the beginning, as every season builds off of the previous and there is a slight overarching story.
    Yeah, one thing to remember with the show is the overarching story. But looking at the wikipedia list of episodes in Season 1, I would definitely add 1 ("Dia de Los Dangerous!"), 4 ("The Incredible Mr. Brisby"), 6 ("Ghosts of the Sargasso"), and 9 ("Are You There, God? It's Me, Dean")

Along with that, Brisby goes with one of my favorite one-shot characters. "YOU CALL THIS WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE?!"
  • edited October 2009
    Along with that, Brisby goes with one of my favorite one-shot characters. "YOU CALL THIS WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE?!"
    I take your wheelchair accessibility and raise it with a "Now that we've exchanged pleasantries and hot panda milk..."

I love that Wikiquote has sections for each episode of the series. It makes things so much easier.
  • Is it possible for you guys to help me with episodes that does not include a Butterfly in it whatsoever? I get the impression that the Monarch guy is the main baddy, so I'm scared to even delve into this show in the first place.
  • Is it possible for you guys to help me with episodes that does not include a Butterfly in it whatsoever? I get the impression that the Monarch guy is the main baddy, so I'm scared to even delve into this show in the first place.
    Unfortunate, as the Monarch is the Big Bad, and you're missing out on what's probably the funniest animated series on television right now. Although, to be fair, the Monarch isn't even close to looking like a legitimate butterfly. He and his Henchmen all look so absurd, and the "Cocoon" looks more like a beehive than anything else.
  • I thought that, until I watched the 1st episode and saw a relatively realistic Monarch Butterfly in the first 5 minutes or so. I couldn't touch the show again after that.
  • I would check out the 2nd episode (pretty sure it's the second), in which the Ventures travel to space to repair a space station Dr. Jonas Venture built. I don't think there are any butterflies in that.
  • If you don't mind me asking, why are you afraid of butterflies? Any particular reason?
  • edited October 2009
    If you don't mind me asking, why are you afraid of butterflies? Any particular reason?
    It was some traumatic experience I had as a child. I hardly remember anymore, but I've lived with this phobia for almost as long as I could remember.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • If you don't mind me asking, why are you afraid of butterflies? Any particular reason?
    It was some traumatic experience I had as a child. I hardly remember anymore, but I've lived with this phobia for almost as long as I could remember.
    Well surround yourself with your fear, and you'll overcome it.
  • I remember back when the first season was still airing on the Cartoon Network, a friend of mine who was a fan challenged me to write a Monarch/Brock slash fic. Oddly enough, I pulled it off while keeping it within show continuity.
  • This is a show I've been meaning to watch for a while. Still working to find the time for it.
  • Just checked it out. Good stuff, I'm going to watch more.
  • this is one of my Favorite shows and I finally got the first 3 seasons on DVD. scored a deal and got them for $13.94 each. Win

"where do you want this hot rocket?"
  • New episode tonight? Im pretty sure. WIN
  • edited September 2010
    They got off to a good start. 21 is such a badass.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Swiss Guard Gorillas are one of the best things I have ever seen.
  • Molotov Cocktease is one of my favorite characters. She's sexy and dangerous...
    but I like to wear a little more clothing when cosplaying (me as Triana Orpheus)
    Is it possible for you guys to help me with episodes that does not include a Butterfly in it whatsoever? I get the impression that the Monarch guy is the main baddy, so I'm scared to even delve into this show in the first place.
    Season 2 - Love-Bheits should be butterfly free.
    "you mess with the cat and you get the claws.
    -you mess wit da gurl, and you get da Hitler!!"
  • edited September 2010
    Last night episode was one of the finest. Funny and dramatic is had to pull off that well.

"Those where some mournful tits..." conversation between Brock and Col. Hunter about a strip club. I LOL'ed.
    Post edited by Wyatt on