This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Spectacular Spider-Man

edited October 2009 in Everything Else
No, this is not about the comic book, it's about the newest Spider-Man animated series. Anyone else watch it? If you like Wolverine and the X-Men, it will definitely be right up your alley as it's just as well written, planned out, and developed.

Also, the theme song is very silly, but not in the good way.

Comments

• Haven't watched it, but the character designs are by Cheeks Galloway, so that's at least one good thing.
  • Haven't watched it, but the character designs are byCheeks Galloway, so that's at least one good thing.
    I actually started watching the show because I found his DeviantArt page, you have to love his character designs. They're wonderful.
  • edited October 2009
    I actually started watching the show because I found his DeviantArt page, you have to love his character designs. They're wonderful.
    Yeah, he's great. Really excellent use of shape and proportion. The only thing I don't like is that his palettes all look kinda washed out to me, but I know people who love that. Did you see his Teen Titans strip in Wednesday Comics? It was basically unreadable, but looked really pretty. (Same with Ben Caldwell's Wonder Woman.)
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • The only thing I don't like is that his palettes all look kinda washed out to me
    The colours in the show really don't bother me, but I'm not in awe of his pallets either. I'm rather indifferent.
  • According to some friends of mine, this is pretty much the best Spider-Man show ever. And they're not really Spider-Man fans, either. The theme song is pretty addictive, too.
  • According to some friends of mine, this is pretty much the best Spider-Man show ever. And they're not really Spider-Man fans, either. The theme song is pretty addictive, too.
    If it's anything of the quality of Wolverine and the X-men, I will be checking it out.
  • If it's anything of the quality of Wolverine and the X-men, I will be checking it out.
    Oh shit, it's Spiderman!
  • The theme song is pretty addictive, too.
    I hated the theme song when I first started watching the show, but it definitely grew on me.
  • Am I the only person who liked Spiderman: The New Animated Series? It was the one that aired on MTV back in 2003 and featured Neil Patrick Harris as the big Peter to the Parker.
  • The one true Spider-Man cartoon.
  • The one true Spider-Man cartoon.
    Oh my god. I haven't seen that since it was actually on TV.
  • Am I the only person who liked Spiderman: The New Animated Series? It was the one that aired on MTV back in 2003 and featured Neil Patrick Harris as the big Peter to the Parker.
    The animation in that show was so awful that I found it to be completely unwatchable.
    The one true Spider-Man cartoon.
    I remember having a tape of that when I was a kid. It was so bad that it was completely amazing.
  • I was always very partial towards this Spider-Man. All others after have been "meh" to me.

Mark Hammil as the Hobgoblin FTW :-)
  • Yes. That show is my childhood. Everything I know about Spider-Man comes from there, dear God. So great.
  • My first exposure to Spidey:

• The person who voiced Kingpin in the clearly superior 90s cartoon (you lose Scott) scared me because of how intimidating his voice and how great a villain he was (even though he is supposed to be Daredevil's arch-enemy, but whatever).
  • What is everyone's favorite Spider-Man villain by the way. The people here who like Spider-man must at least have one, right. It's a three way tie between Mysterio, Electro, and Carnage for me.
  • edited October 2009
    (even though he is supposed to be Daredevil's arch-enemy, but whatever).
    The Kingpin (Wilson Fisk) is a fictional character, a supervillain in the Marvel Comics Universe. The character first appears in The Amazing Spider-Man #50 (July 1967), and was created by writer Stan Lee and artist John Romita, Sr. There the Kingpin appeared as an adversary of Spider-Man, but eventually became the archenemy of Daredevil. He continues to be a dangerous and recurring opponent of both Spider-Man and Daredevil, and is an important suspect for the Punisher.
    Yeah, Nah.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2009
    (even though he is supposed to be Daredevil's arch-enemy, but whatever).
    The Kingpin (Wilson Fisk) is a fictional character, a supervillain in the Marvel Comics Universe. The character first appears in The Amazing Spider-Man #50 (July 1967), and was created by writer Stan Lee and artist John Romita, Sr. There the Kingpin appeared as an adversary of Spider-Man, but eventually became the archenemy of Daredevil. He continues to be a dangerous and recurring opponent of both Spider-Man and Daredevil, and is an important suspect for the Punisher.
    Yeah, Nah.
    Alright fair enough, but traditionally he is the arch-enemy of the Daredevil seeing as how he was responsible for killing his father. Also, I see you failed to answer my previous question about favorite enemy(s).
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited October 2009
    Alright fair enough, but traditionally he is the arch-enemy of the Daredevil seeing as how he was responsible for killing his father.
    Yes, considering he's been a consistent regular in Spiderman's Villain Roster since 1967, and has only been appearing in Daredevil books since the eighties, I can see how he's traditionally a Daredevil villain, not to mention the flawless explanation that he killed Jack Murdock being the reason for him earning Daredevil as an enemy, especially since The only time he is noted as being the one responsible for the death of Daredevil's Father is in the Spiderman Animated series, and that lamentable live action Daredevil movie.
    Also, I see you failed to answer my previous question about favorite enemy(s).
    I wasn't aware I was under an imperative to do so, but I must have been, since you stated that I failed to answer your question. The Venom villians, Ie, Venom, Carnage, Dusk, toxin, scream, so on.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • clearly superior 90s cartoon (you lose Scott)
    What do you mean I lose? If anyone "loses" it's you for thinking that I seriously endorse the old cartoon. It's corny and stupid as balls! The only reason to watch it at all is for lols, especially the episode with the X-Men in it.
  • My favorite villain is also Venom, as he is just the greatest. Carnage too. The symbiotes are just so awesome.
  • especially the episode with the X-Men in it.
    That's the episode I had on VHS. "I'm coming for you, Charles Xavier!"
    What is everyone's favorite Spider-Man villain by the way.
    I've always liked Carnage and the Green Goblin, but Shocker holds a special place in my heart for the other meaning of the word "Shocker" that has come up in the past few years.
  • I didn't like the underwear perverts so much, so this is pretty much the only exposure to Spider-Man I had as a little kid.

• When I think of Spiderman, I hear this song:
  • I liked the way Spectacular combined Tombstone and Kingpin into a single very competent antagonist, and the way it didn't make Mary Jane the obviously destined love interest.

Although the various fake-outs about the Green Goblin's true identity felt very forced.
  • edited November 2009
    Although the various fake-outs about the Green Goblin's true identity felt very forced.
    The first one was good, POTENTIAL SPOILERS: but yeah, the numerous ones in the end of the second season were pretty bad. I did like that they didn't kill of Norman Osborne, there is a lot of further potential for him as a villian. /SPOILERS
    I liked the way Spectacular combined Tombstone and Kingpin into a single very competent antagonist, and the way it didn't make Mary Jane the obviously destined love interest.
    What I'm really wondering about is whether or not they're going to kill off Gwen Stacey. The show is pretty brutal, but I don't think they would go that far on a show aimed at children.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on