This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Shattered Horizon

edited October 2009 in Video Games
This one completely flew under my radar until I was checking around on Steam today.

yFhrAqYzIfc

On the upside, it's got jetpacks and doesn't cost much, on the downside, it's made by Futuremark, who make PC benchmarking programs; This leads me to think it'll be heavy on graphics but not so much the well thought-out gameplay.
Anyone interested in playing if it reviews well?

Comments

• I already pre-ordered it because of the low price.

One word of warning. This is a game meant for benchmarking. My computer, with it's 8800GT, barely meets the minimum system requirements. If you don't have lots of horsepower, you probably don't want to bother with this one.
  • edited October 2009
    Ah bahls, got a 8600GT but if games going to be all around the graphics, I'd better get working on the backlog. Needs that new HDD.

Seriously, FPSs be all about the FPS, effects come second.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I'm getting a new video card as soon as I rebuild my PC to Windows 7/Ubuntu 9. Either that, or I'm building a brand new PC entirely, and then giving the current one to Emily as our shared studio/art PC.

As an aside, I am immensely please with the fact that the Core 2 Duo I installed in that thing so long ago is still more than adequate for everything I do: my 7900 video card is the sole limiting factor on my framerate.
  • edited October 2009
    I'm not a hardware geek by a long shot but those Core 2 Duo's are frikkin' amazing.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • I like my Pentium D dual core.. it was free.
  • The E8400 is still probably one of the best processors you can buy right now. Not to mention the fact that it is now insanely cheap.
  • The E8400 is still probably one of the best processors you can buy right now. Not to mention the fact that it is now insanely cheap.
    Yeah, looks like it. The E8500 is looking pretty good as well.
  • My PC should run this pretty well, I've got a 9800GT. Looks pretty cool though.
  • Looks like it's being released on Steam tomorrow. Take advantage of the pre-order while you can.
  • I saw this on steam. I also noted the fact it's made by futuremark. I noted that there is no sound to the game in the trailer. I wonder if the game itself has no sound (because they are in space?). It might be cool simply because it has no sound. The trailer with the tense music looked quite good.

Anybody who tries it want to comment on the gameplay? I'm not ready to buy it until I hear how it plays. Is it simply deathmatch?
  • In case you had ANY doubts that this game is not a steal...
  • In case you had ANY doubts that this game is not a steal...
    Did you mean to use that double negative? It seems pretty good to me.
  • edited November 2009
    Did you mean to use that double negative? It seems pretty good to me.
    A steal as in it's so cheap for what you are getting that it's almost like stealing it...
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited November 2009
    Ah, but wouldn't you say: "In case you had ANY doubts that this game is a steal."?
  • edited November 2009
    But jesting aside, is this another one of those where people use the wrong writing of a phrase? Similar to "Couldn't care less?".
  • But jesting aside, is this another one of those where people use the wrong writing of a phrase? Similar to "Couldn't care less?".
    Probably.
  • This game does look pretty awesome, which makes the fact that my computer is just below system requirements all the more frustrating.
  • So, it's ten bucks on Steam. Worth it?
  • So, it's ten bucks on Steam. Worth it?
    I played it for two days. Then I stopped. I checked a week or two later, and nobody was online at all. Unless the game has a resurgence, or you want to benchmark your box, don't bother.
  • That's the info I needed.
  • Cool looking game. If I didn't suffer from FPS Barfogenesis (i.e. motion sickness when playing FPS games) It'd be worth the tenner Steam is asking. I did, however, pre-purchase DOWII: Chaos Rising to go with my original DOW2 and got a free copy of Saint's Row 2 (A.K.A. "GTA on CRACK") for my troubles. I have a love/hate relationship with the sales Steam runs; I love 'em, my wallet hates 'em.
  • Cool looking game. If I didn't suffer from FPS Barfogenesis (i.e. motion sickness when playing FPS games) It'd be worth the tenner Steam is asking. I did, however, pre-purchase DOWII: Chaos Rising to go with my original DOW2 and got a free copy of Saint's Row 2 (A.K.A. "GTA on CRACK") for my troubles. I have a love/hate relationship with the sales Steam runs; I love 'em, my wallet hates 'em.
    The only way to fix barfogenesis is to just keep playing. The first "3D" game I played was Descent when I was in middle school. Wolfenstein 3D isn't really 3D enough to cause barfage. Descent is way way way more barf-tastic than any fps. I was way motion sick playing Descent for the first time. It was like one of those video-rides at an amusement park, like Star Tours or the Back to the Future ride. The solution was to just keep playing until I got used to it.
  • Wolfenstein 3D isn't really 3D enough to cause barfage.
    Go back and play it now. I did so recently, and the way it renders "3D" in two dimensions making it look like the whole screen is sliding around. That made me near-vomit-atious where no other game ever does.
  • I did, however, pre-purchase DOWII: Chaos Rising to go with my original DOW2
    Did they ever fix the buggyness of the original DOWII? I really wanted to play that, but it would just crash/bug out with every comp I tried it on.
  • Go back and play it now. I did so recently, and the way it renders "3D" in two dimensions making it look like the whole screen is sliding around. That made me near-vomit-atious where no other game ever does.
    Well, every game renders 2D in two dimensions. Unless you've got some funky glasses on, you're playing all 3D games on a flat screen.

Anyway, I went back and played two levels of Wolf3D. You are correct that it is a little bit dyzzying compared to modern games. However, I think the reason for this has nothing to do with the graphics or rendering. The reason is the controls. The game requires you to press and hold a button to strafe. It also makes it impossible to strafe and mouse-look simultaneously. The result of this is that you do a lot of spinning around. Spinning around makes you dizzy. Even little kids know that.

Anyone know a control hack for Wolf3D that allows for modern controls?