This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comics for Noobs

edited November 2009 in Manga/Comics
Hello Forum. Since I grew up in Australia Comics weren't a common entertainment material amongst the kids, therefore I didn't have the experience of reading them. Though after listening to GeekNights I now want to get started. What should I start with and how should I go about acquiring it?

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Read this for some suggestions. If you never read any other comics, you should read Watchmen, Kingdom Come, The Dark Knight Returns, Marvels, and Sandman.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Readthisfor some suggestions. If you never read any other comics, you should readWatchmen,Kingdom Come,The Dark Knight Returns,Marvels, andSandman.
    Yes, you absolutely should read all those. But first, read Bone.
  • Asking what comics to read is like asking what movies to watch. It would be helpful if you could give us some genres or themes you enjoy, so we could narrow it down a bit.
  • in Australia Comics weren't a common entertainment material amongst the kids
    I grew up on underwear pervert comics, The Phantom, and MAD Magazine. I don't know what area you were about, mate, but It's far from uncommon.
  • The Phantom
    Why does the Phantom feel the need to get all dressed up and don a mask and crap, seeing as he lives in the jungle?

Does he really think that mask will disguise him, taking into account that he is the only white guy of what appears to be northern european extraction in the whole jungle?

And why is he white? Doesn't the storyline insist that he is the latest of generations and generations of Phantoms? If the Phantom dudes took local wives, wouldn't later generations of Phantoms begin to look more and more like the native population?

And where did he get his horse and his German Shepherd? I'm no expert on jungle fauna, but I don't think that either make their native habitat in the jungle.

And just where is this jungle, exactly?
  • And just where is this jungle, exactly?
    Bangalla, why do you ask?
  • It sounds like you're an expert on Bangalla lore.
  • But first, read Bone.
    This is what I came to post.
  • Thanks for the input guys. Will update once i read a few. :)
  • If you like Hunter S. Thompson, read Transmetropolitan. It could best be described as "Fear & Loathing in the Future."
  • Scott Pilgrim, perhaps?
  • Thanks for the input guys. Will update once i read a few. :)
    What city are you living in? We should be able to sort you out with a good comic store, between the few Aussies we have about here.
  • What city are you living in? We should be able to sort you out with a good comic store, between the few Aussies we have about here.
    Thanks Churba. I live in the city of Sydney in the Western Suburbs, specifically Greystanes. Though on another note I picked up a copy of Superman Red Son from my local Library and thought it was super dooper, as I read it during my study time. I also find a copy of what I thought was Bones but it was so damn thick so I ignored it.
  • I also find a copy of what I thought was Bones but it was so damn thick so I ignored it.
    Bone is about 1300 pages, I think. It was probably the right one.

I'm still waiting to hear what your tastes are in general before I try recommending anything. Right here, we've got Transmetropolitan and Scott Pilgrim one right after the other, and those are about a million miles apart.
  • Yes, Bone is over a 1000 pages, but it's worth every single one of them.

Anyways, I recommend Bone, Scott Pilgrim and Watchmen. I also recommend any given Asterix volume between 1 and 24. The quality deteriorates after that a bit because the writer died and the artists carried on doing both. Let's just say he's a better artist than writer but it's still decent.
  • After I just finished reading it, add Preacher to the list.
  • I also recommend any given Asterix volume between 1 and 24. The quality deteriorates after that a bit because the writer died and the artists carried on doing both. Let's just say he's a better artist than writer but it's still decent.
    Tell me about it. Asterix and the falling sky? A (somewhat racist) diatribe that was pro-Disney and anti-manga. It was all "Oh noes! The evil yellow manganese aliens are going to wipe out the kind and cute Mickey aliens! Save the day Asterix!" And I was like "Moar Romans, fools!"
  • Tell me about it. Asterix and the falling sky? A (somewhat racist) diatribe that was pro-Disney and anti-manga. It was all "Oh noes! The evil yellow manganese aliens are going to wipe out the kind and cute Mickey aliens! Save the day Asterix!" And I was like "Moar Romans, fools!"
    *Taps head*This Writer is crazy.
  • After I just finished reading it, add Preacher to the list.
    THIS.

Also, while I haven't read it all yet, The Boys also looks excellent.
  • Also, while I haven't read it all yet, The Boys also looks excellent.
    You haven't read it all because you can't read it all. It's still coming out every month.
  • Also, while I haven't read it all yet, The Boys also looks excellent.
    You haven't read it all because you can't read it all. It's still coming out every month.
    Well, OK, I should be more specific: I am not up-to-date on it. I've read the first three issues, but they're up to, what, 35 or so?
  • It really depends on taste. Originally I didn't like to whole superhero-DC-Marvel thing and don't, for the most part. Although Blackest Night has got me into it a little. Then there's the Dark Horse & IDW Publishing I enjoy a lot more. So if that's what you want then Wormwood: Gentlemen Corpse is pretty radical. I also like Locke & Key & Fell: Volume 1. Anything Garth Ennis, Ben Templesmith, or Warren Ellis has a hand in would be something I'd purchase. Again, it's all personal preference but there are a few I'd suggest.
  • The Maxx or anything by Sam Keith. Of course what do I know.. I'm reading Models Inc.!
  • Anything Garth Ennis
    Even Crossed?
  • Thanks Churba. I live in the city of Sydney in the Western Suburbs, specifically Greystanes. Though on another note I picked up a copy of Superman Red Son from my local Library and thought it was super dooper, as I read it during my study time. I also find a copy of what I thought was Bones but it was so damn thick so I ignored it.
    Sweet as, I've given my cousin a call, he lives down that way, and he's getting back to me.