This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

IDShare 2.0 Beta

Comments

• edited November 2009
    It's so ugly!

Seriously though, I'm always happy to see some non-shit talking going on. How much of a pain would it be to go ahead and make the values link to the page on the respective website like you had originally planned? That's a feature that would make me use this instantly, because right now I have to back and forth manually finding everything in each site if I want to add a bunch of people.

Edit: Also, it might be a good idea to add a button on the page of each key to add your own value for that key without having to go back, add one, enter the name, and make sure you get it right. Just an idea.

Double edit: It also might be a good idea to add multiple entries from one person into the table together, rather than looking like separate entries from separate users.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Seriously though, I'm always happy to see some non-shit talking going on. How much of a pain would it be to go ahead and make the values link to the page on the respective website like you had originally planned? That's a feature that would make me use this instantly, because right now I have to back and forth manually finding everything in each site if I want to add a bunch of people.
    How would you implement this? A big feature of this system is that Scott doesn't have to keep adding services as they pop into existence, like Google Wave. If Scott doesn't have to add anything, how will IDShare know how to put in the links? Should users have a field to link to their Twitter page when they enter their ID, or should Scott have to make a bit of code to generate the URL for each service? Just a couple things to think about, I suppose.
  • edited November 2009
    How would you implement this? A big feature of this system is that Scott doesn't have to keep adding services as they pop into existence, like Google Wave. If Scott doesn't have to add anything, how will IDShare know how to put in the links? Should users have a field to link to their Twitter page when they enter their ID, or should Scott have to make a bit of code to generate the URL for each service? Just a couple things to think about, I suppose.
    That's an easy problem to solve, relatively speaking.

What I'll do it make a format field in the database for each key. The field, by default, will be blank. Thus, people will be able to make new keys and share new IDs even if the formats are all blank.

Then what I can do is go in and add a format for any keys I feel like. For example, the format for the e-mail key will look something like this.
    <a href="mailto:{{ID}}">{{ID}}</a>I can then also make a way for people to suggest formats. Even though I really want to crowd-source as much of the data input as possible, there is no way to safely let users put in their own formats. It's just too much of a security concern.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • One cool feature would be an "add your value to this key" thing, where if you clicked on the Facebook key and saw everyone else's Facebook names, there would be a link for you to "add yours to this list" if you don't already have a matching key. That might mitigate some of the crowd-sourcing problems and help to keep keys the same so we don't have too many crazy keys.
  • Good point, Blattus.
  • Man. I'll have a violently shorter commute very soon too. Scott's set the bar high for an end to shit-talking with his newfound free time. You guys had better give me shit if our store isn't up before the end of the year. ^_~
  • Man. I'll have a violently shorter commute very soon too. Scott's set the bar high for an end to shit-talking with his newfound free time. You guys had better give me shit if our store isn't up before the end of the year. ^_~
    I'm giving you shit for not having the store up months and months ago when we launched the new site and did the live 'cast.

Expect new IDShare features coming this weekend.
  • violently shorter
    So, what, you're traveling exclusively by cannon now?
  • violently shorter
    So, what, you're traveling exclusively by cannon now?
    It had to happen sooner or later.
  • Ok, I added some of the stuff you guys asked for. I did it the quick and dirty way. I know it redirects you annoyingly, I'm working on it. Those sorts of problems will go away when I AJAXify all the forms.
  • Ok, I have now added the magical formatting feature. Some of you might need to edit your IDS to be compatible with the formats that I have used.

Check out those XBL gamercards :)
  • edited November 2009
    Rounding out today's changes, I have added support for Gravatar to IDShare. Also, when I upgrade the forum to Vanilla 2, or what have you, I also plan to use Gravatars. Some of you have them already, but most of you do not. I suggest you all go get one.

If you do not have a gravatar, an Identicon will be used by default.

Also, I am now going to change the link at the top of the forum to point to the new IDShare. The old one will still function, but you will have to memorize the URLs to get to it.
  • Rounding out today's changes, I have added support forGravatarto IDShare. Also, when I upgrade the forum to Vanilla 2, or what have you, I also plan to use Gravatars. Some of you have them already, but most of you do not. I suggest you all go get one.
    For those who don't know, if you have a Wordpress account already then you don't have to make a new account for Gravatar.
  • Ok, forget what I just said. The old IDShare is turned off now. You can't get to it, even if you remember the URLs.

Also, Sail is correct. Gravatar is owned by the WordPress company, Automattic.
  • How do I get those interesting shape avatars that a lot of people on the new IDShare seem to have. I tried to find out but since I'm semi-layman when it comes to computers, I didn't really understand the directions.
  • How do I get those interesting shape avatars that a lot of people on the new IDShare seem to have. I tried to find out but since I'm semi-layman when it comes to computers, I didn't really understand the directions.
    As I already said, those are Identicons. They are automatically generated for anyone who does not have a Gravatar. If you have a Gravatar, there is no need to use an Identicon.
  • edited November 2009
    How do I get those interesting shape avatars that a lot of people on the new IDShare seem to have. I tried to find out but since I'm semi-layman when it comes to computers, I didn't really understand the directions.
    You have one too. It's just a stand-in avatar for when you haven't uploaded one.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • This is a really stupid question, but how do you connect a Gravatar with IDShare?

Feature suggestion: I think all of the ID and key pages should sort by username or key to make things easier to find, rather than the first-come first-serve way that it is now.
  • edited November 2009
    This is a really stupid question, but how do you connect a Gravatar with IDShare?
    Since people are having a hard time understanding this, and haven't bothered to read the Gravatar site itself or the Wikipedia page about Gravatars, I guess I will explain.

Gravatar is a service created by the WordPress company, Automattic. It is a service for globally recognized avatars. Hence, the name GRAvatar. The way it works is you go to the Gravatar site, and create a Gravatar. The Gravatar is associated with your e-mail address. Then, any site which has your e-mail address can use your Gravatar automatically without requiring any further input from you. IDShare requires you to use an e-mail address to register, and that is the e-mail address that is used to get your Gravatar.

Because many users will not have Gravatars, they allow developers to choose alternative default icons to use for users, rather than leaving a blank space. I have chosen to use identicon. This procedurally generates a a unique, but consistent, geometric pattern that will be used as your avatar if you do not have a Gravatar associated with your e-mail address.

If you still don't understand, RTF Gravatar site.
  • I had figured it would be like that, but I registered with Gravatar (with the same email address) and IDShare still shows that Identicon thing.
  • edited November 2009
    The "Add New ID" form is now AJAX powered. What does that mean? It means that by using JavaScript, the page no longer reloads when you submit that form. It's a very slight usability improvement. Also, because I'm awesome, the form still works even if you have JavaScript disabled. I'm going to AJAXify the other forms tomorrow, which will really start to make things interesting.

If you are having problems with Gravatar, I can't help you.

Also, the site will continue to remain ugly for the foreseeable future. I'm putting my full effort into functionality, and no effort whatsoever into design. You know, cult of done, minimum viable treehouse, all that BS. Once all of the major functionality is in place and polished, it will be much easier to go through each page and fix the design without having to think about the code part at all. It will also be much easier for a designer who is not me to go and look at a completed site, and then design it up rather than working from descriptions.
  • How come there are two e-mail values?
    It's all automatic, and some people typed "E-mail" (which is correct) and some people put "email", hence, two values.
    It's a completely crowd-sourced system. People can make whatever IDs they want. If people happen to make two different IDs for the same thing, but use different names, well, that's what happens. Think like Wikipedia. Trusting the users it should work itself out. With the changes I've got coming down the line, I think it should definitely reduce problems like this.

Just an example, let's say I put a list of most popular IDs somewhere. It could look something like this.

Real Name - 200
    E-Mail - 99
    XBox Live - 50

Even though there might be a separate IDs for "E-Mail", "email", and "email address," one of them will win out in popularity. As a result of this, new people who sign up will be much more likely to use the popular choice because it will be much harder to find the unpopular choices, and much easier to find the popular ones. The idea is to give users complete freedom, but with proper design, you can guide their behaviors. Just like WoW gets you to grind, I'll get people to put their IDs in properly.
  • If you go to your profile page and delete something, and you have JavaScript in a modern browser, it will be deleted instantly with no reloading or anything.
  • All the lists should be sorted alphabetically, either by the User ID or by the value. Or let me decide which. Having the lists sorted by who signed up first is a bit dumb.
  • All the lists should be sorted alphabetically, either by the User ID or by the value. Or let me decide which. Having the lists sorted by who signed up first is a bit dumb.
    Well, they're basically un-sorted right now. I didn't specify any sorting whatsoever. The result is that the database returns them sorted by id#. And the way databases work the id# is auto-incremented.
  • edited December 2009
    I fixed the sorting, and spruced up the UI a bit. More AJAX is coming.
  • Just letting you know that the links on Flickr IDs lead to error pages. In order to get the link to work, you have to enter the alphanumeric string in your Flickr's photostream URL (e.g.: mine is 8485090@N08), and I don't think most people want to enter that as their Flickr ID.
  • Just letting you know that the links on Flickr IDs lead to error pages. In order to get the link to work, you have to enter the alphanumeric string in your Flickr's photostream URL (e.g.: mine is 8485090@N08), and I don't think most people want to enter that as their Flickr ID.
    It works for my Flickr, and it works for some of the other users. If it doesn't work for somebody else, I'm going to call that user error for now.