This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

M:TG Duesl of The Planeswalkers

edited November 2009 in Video Games
Just out of curiosity I downloaded the free demo of this for the 360. With it, I was able to play a few games of Money: The Wasting. They were relatively simple and uninteresting games, because they were all basic decks. Regardless, it reminded me that Magic can be a fun game if you keep only the customization aspect, and remove the collection aspect.

In considering whether to pay money for this game or not, I need some answers. How do you get cards? Are they selling boosters and starters as DLC? Can I just use any card I want as many times as I want? Can I even make my own deck, or do I just choose from a list of available decks? Is there any collection aspect whatsoever, or does everyone just all have the same cards, and you do whatever you want?

When you are going to play against someone online, can you see what deck they are using? How does that work, and how do they avoid the rock-paper-scissors aspects? Oh I see you have chosen a red deck, blue it is then.

Also, I was surprised at just how many of the cards were actually cards I recognized from back in the day, but had simply been reprinted in new sets with newer artwork. I was also surprised that the rules were basically 100% identical to what I remember. A creature has defense instead of wall. An enchant creature is now an aura.

The user interface was also surprisingly good. I would like to see a game like Dominion coded using a similar interface. However, I do think the game would work better on the PC. The game would certainly go faster if I could just click on cards instead of cycling through them with the stick.

Comments

• I was also surprised that the rules were basically 100% identical to what I remember.
    Well, not quite. They made some pretty significant changes to the timing rules by introducing this concept of the "stack" and removing interrupts entirely. They also removed banding (because people were too stupid to figure out how to use it), but that was a while ago.

I'm pretty sure they'll sell you boosters as DLC. I mean, let's be realistic here, it's a viable and successful business model, and since people have gotten used to paying for boosters, the transition to DLC is nearly trivial. Hell, if they make it cheaper to get boosters as DLC instead of as cards, people will jump all over that.

Wasn't there a much older M:tG game for like Windows 95?
  • edited November 2009
    I don't think you will like it. The decks are only preconstructed decks and you earn additional cards by winning games. In terms of customization the game is really lacking as you can't remove cards from those pre-existing decks and you can only add cards you have won and not other cards from other decks you have unlocked (which have their own share of cards to be won). The amount of lands in the deck is determined by the computer based on the cards in the deck and you can't change that (in fact, you are never really certain how many lands are in fact in the deck) and there are no non-basic lands in the entire game.

If you want to play some free computer Magic, use Magic Workstation for your PC and the MTG Card Database. That's how I play Magic these days if I feel the need. Unfortunately there is quite a lot of shitcockery in the community, but if you want some fun and lighthearted games, play some Elder Dragon Highlander.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Wasn't there a much older M:tG game for like Windows 95?
    I think you may be referring to MtG:Online which has all the randy buying of boosters / trading cards etc. elements.

If you just want to play some MtG with people over he internets, without spending any money and with any of the cards you want (well almost, it seems they haven't updated it in a while), check out Apprentice.
  • edited November 2009
    Actually, I was referring to MtG for Windows, released by Microprose in 1997.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Actually, I was referring toMtG for Windows,released by Microprose in 1997.
    That one is actually fun.
  • Yeah, I think I'm going to pass on all these.
    Wise decision.
    Y'know, I've said it before, and I'll say it again; we in the crew should just pool everybody's cards together and play from that. Between all of us, I'm sure we have enough cards to give everyone enough options.
  • Y'know, I've said it before, and I'll say it again; we in the crew should just pool everybody's cards together and play from that. Between all of us, I'm sure we have enough cards to give everyone enough options.
    There are a few problems with this

1) How do we put everyone's cards back where they came from without marking them?

2) We need to use some sort of drafting mechanism. If one person has one very rare card, whoever gets it is bleh.

3) We have to figure out what rules to use in terms of banned/limited cards. If we use modern tournament rules, most of our cards might be banned. If we use rules that are too lax, channel/fireball rears its ugly head.
  • 1) How do we put everyone's cards back where they came from without marking them?
    We don't. Do you really need those cards? Do I really need those cards? Does Wyatt really need those cards? I'm saying that we all sacrifice our useless individual collections and make one massive collection. Which requires...
    2) We need to use some sort of drafting mechanism. If one person has one very rare card, whoever gets it is bleh.
    This. A drafting mechanism. We need a massive pool of cards and a drafting mechanism.

3) We have to figure out what rules to use in terms of banned/limited cards. If we use modern tournament rules, most of our cards might be banned. If we use rules that are too lax, channel/fireball rears its ugly head.
    Use Type I rules. Banned cards are banned, restricted cards are no more than 1 per deck. Using Shahrazad gets you punched in the cock.
  • edited November 2009
    Guys, if you want to play casual fun MtG, play Type4. One stack from which all players draw and two rules 1) you have infinite mana 2) you can play one spell per turn.

It takes a few times to figure out which cards are "good" for this game and which are boring.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • edited November 2009
    Guys, if you want to play casual fun MtG, playType4. One stack from which all players draw and two rules 1) you haveinfinitemana 2) you can playonespell per turn.

It takes a few times to figure out which cards are "good" for this game and which are boring.
    This could be really fun, but it could also be really stupid. I've already thought of the ways.

1) Obviously you would use all of the expensive cards that are otherwise useless in a normal game of magic. I'm talking about things like the absolutely gigantic creatures and the gold cards that require so many different mana colors to cast that they are typically unusable.

2) Any spell that scales is far better than one with a static effect. Disintegrate is an automatic winning card. There are also creatures that get +1/+1 for ever mana you spend. You would basically have to ban all these cards for their to be any meaning to the game.

3) Only using one card per turn removes a lot of what makes magic fun. A lot of the fun in the game was activating instants, interrupts, and other abilities in combination and in clever response to the opponents moves.

I think the best way to play M:TG would be to have an actual draft where you get a starter box and boosters, open them up, and go. The thing is, that costs real world money, and isn't worth the mount of real world money it costs. What would be awesome is if we could simulate a real draft with software. Everyone gets a virtual starter deck and boosters at the start of each game. Then there would be a customization/trading phase. Then the game. It would be uber fun to just have new cards each time. Any luck factor of getting a great card would even out over the course of many games. Also, everyone would be drafting from the same set.

Even better would be to use the same mechanism to play a different CCG, such as Pokemon.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I think the best way to play M:TG would be to have an actual draft where you get a starter box and boosters, open them up, and go. The thing is, that costs real world money, and isn't worth the mount of real world money it costs.
    Well, a real-world booster draft isn't too expensive, but it's more than 0 dollars.

If we pooled our cards (or hell, just used one person's collection), we could create our own boosters from the pool (1 rare, 3 uncommons, 11 commons, IIRC), give everyone 3, and draft away. 40 card minimum deck size, as much land as you need, and whatever you have left goes in your sideboard, or something to that effect. You could even add in a mechanic where you can pay some life to pick a rare from a known set.
  • edited November 2009
    I'm pretty sure the Microprose one aside from the game itself, had the option through "Manalink" to hook up to other computers and play either your custom decks, closed starter and starter with boosters.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on

• If we pooled our cards (or hell, just used one person's collection), we could create our own boosters from the pool (1 rare, 3 uncommons, 11 commons, IIRC), give everyone 3, and draft away. 40 card minimum deck size, as much land as you need, and whatever you have left goes in your sideboard, or something to that effect. You could even add in a mechanic where you can pay some life to pick a rare from a known set.
    This could work, maybe. We have to sort all the cards into rare, uncommon, and common piles. That is a lot of work.
  • edited November 2009
    This could work, maybe. We have to sort all the cards into rare, uncommon, and common piles. That is a lot of work.
    Yeah, it would definitely be a lot of work. Fortunately, once they're there, managing the piles shouldn't be too hard; make one rare pile, 3 uncommon piles, and 11 common piles, and just assemble. Once the piles are made, though, we can probably keep them that way.

Essentially, any drafting mechanic has to control the deck size, the number of non-land cards we each get, and the rarities of those cards. Personally, I like the idea of paying life for the ability to pick a rare card. Maybe we could do a Vinci sort of thing where we start everyone with 30 life, allow people to pay 2 life to select a rare, and stipulate that you must start play with at least 20 life. There are a lot of ways we could do a draft.
  • The one thing I always wonder in M:TG drafts is how to deal with the five colors. I mean, decks really don't work if you have too many colors in there. You basically have to pick at most two colors and throw all cards of the other colors away. If picking cards at random from piles which presumably have all 5 colors in them, how do you get a functioning deck?
  • The one thing I always wonder in M:TG drafts is how to deal with the five colors. I mean, decks really don't work if you have too many colors in there. You basically have to pick at most two colors and throw all cards of the other colors away. If picking cards at random from piles which presumably have all 5 colors in them, how do you get a functioning deck?
    You need a lot of each color and very good shuffling. Also, this is why we do it draft style, where each person gets 3 boosters. You pick up one booster, pick a single card that you want, and pass it to your left.
  • You need a lot of each color and very good shuffling. Also, this is why we do it draft style, where each person gets 3 boosters. You pick up one booster, pick a single card that you want, and pass it to your left.
    Not a bad idea. There is only one problem I see with that. Let's say you have four players passing cards around. Two decide to try to get blue cards, one white, and one green. Suddenly there's a whole new game during the draft where you're going to have to maybe abandon a color because someone is getting all the good cards in that color ahead of you. Then you must decide if you are going to start taking cards from an obviously unwanted color, or if you are going to keep pushing. Also, if a really really good blue card comes along, do you take it even though your deck is red/black just to keep the other player from getting it?

While there's certainly a lot of good things about having a game like that, and it can be quite enjoyable, it fails in that it doesn't solve the primary problem I've always had with Magic. That is the pre-game matters way more than the game itself. The idea here is to determine the actual winning and losing based on the decisions you make during actual play, not for the game to be mostly determined by what goes in your deck. If the game itself isn't the most important thing that happens, then something is wrong.
  • Actually, I was referring toMtG for Windows,released by Microprose in 1997.
    That game was evil. Every time I got a rare card (Moxes in particular) the rare card would end up as my ante in one of the next few matches. Usually against some really tough opponent.
  • edited November 2009
    You need a lot of each color and very good shuffling. Also, this is why we do it draft style, where each person gets 3 boosters. You pick up one booster, pick a single card that you want, and pass it to your left.
    Not a bad idea. There is only one problem I see with that. Let's say you have four players passing cards around. Two decide to try to get blue cards, one white, and one green. Suddenly there's a whole new game during the draft where you're going to have to maybe abandon a color because someone is getting all the good cards in that color ahead of you. Then you must decide if you are going to start taking cards from an obviously unwanted color, or if you are going to keep pushing. Also, if a really really good blue card comes along, do you take it even though your deck is red/black just to keep the other player from getting it?

While there's certainly a lot of good things about having a game like that, and it can be quite enjoyable, it fails in that it doesn't solve the primary problem I've always had with Magic. That is the pre-game matters way more than the game itself. The idea here is to determine the actual winning and losing based on the decisions you make during actual play, not for the game to be mostly determined by what goes in your deck. If the game itself isn't the most important thing that happens, then something is wrong.
    There are ways to solve that. Here are a bunch of suggested casual formats that you could try out. I kind of like the "Fat Stack" option.

Yes, a sealed draft has a lot of meta-strategy to it. It's more a test of on-the-fly deck construction than anything else. A lot of potential situations are evened out by the randomness; yes, you may get handed a handful of shit cards, but everyone has the same approximate chance to get handed shit cards, so it evens out.

As for the complaint about the nature of the game, well, it's like Battletech. You go into the game with a concept in mind (my 'mech is going to do blah), and then you make that happen. Your in-game decisions pretty much boil down to "position myself so that I can do my thing" and then do your thing. The only thing that keeps either game from being completely deterministic is the randomness.

• As for the complaint about the nature of the game, well, it's likeBattletech. You go into the game with a concept in mind (my 'mech is going to do blah), and then you make that happen. Your in-game decisions pretty much boil down to "position myself so that I can do my thing" and then do your thing. The only thing that keeps either game from being completely deterministic is the randomness.
    You can all play Battletech with the preconstructed mechs. You can also use only mechs of equal space dollar value. Also, you aren't really supposed to play with all that crazy level three tech like we did. If you play with just normal mechs, the game really is more about what you do on the table and less about what you prepare beforehand.
  • There are ways to solve that.Hereare a bunch of suggested casual formats that you could try out. I kind of like the "Fat Stack" option.
    Oh yeah! Fat stack sounds great. Let's try that.
  • There are ways to solve that.Hereare a bunch of suggested casual formats that you could try out. I kind of like the "Fat Stack" option.
    Oh yeah! Fat stack sounds great. Let's try that.
    Now, the question is: how do we construct the non-land stack? Do we do it totally randomly, or draft it out? I think drafting it out could be fun; then each player effectively gets to contribute a little bit to the stack, and they'll also have some clue as to what might be in there.
  • Now, the question is: how do we construct the non-land stack? Do we do it totally randomly, or draft it out? I think drafting it out could be fun; then each player effectively gets to contribute a little bit to the stack, and they'll also have some clue as to whatmightbe in there.
    I think it would be cool to have some sort of collective customization. Everyone picks ten cards for which we have four of each card for a total of 40. Then we take the 40 cards from each player and shuffle them all together. Everyone selects their ten cards in secret and writes them down beforehand. If two people pick the same, then there's just going to be 8 of them in there.

Since there is equal chance of you getting the card vs other players getting the card, there is no incentive to pick particularly strong or weak cards. Instead the incentive is to pick cards that either you are the only one who knows how to use them effectively, or are just fucking interesting and fun to play with.
  • edited November 2009
    Everyone picks ten cards for which we have four of each card for a total of 40.
    That works well for commons, but what about rares? We may not collectively have 4 of a given rare card, but it might be really cool to have that card in the game.

EDIT: This whole conversation really makes me want to play Magic again. I really do miss it sometimes.
  • Everyone picks ten cards for which we have four of each card for a total of 40.
    That works well for commons, but what about rares? We may not collectively have 4 of a given rare card, but it might be really cool to have that card in the game.

EDIT: This whole conversation really makes me want to play Magic again. I really do miss it sometimes.
    Think of your wallet.
  • Think of your wallet.
    This is why we need quality digital CCG that doesn't have a shit business model. Or let's all just play Dominion online somehow. The new Dominion Seaside set is out, and most of the cards look good. Only a few look silly and finnicky.
  • edited November 2009
    Think of your wallet.
    My wallet can afford it. If I thought about my wallet like that, I wouldn't have my 40k armies.

Yes, plural.

Fortunately, if you know enough people with enough Magic cards, you can make an effectively free customizable game.

Dominion is hot stuff, though.

EDIT: I'd also contend that WotC has a fantastic business model for MtG. It's very good at making them money.

EDIT 2: You can find the current rules online. You can access the basic rulebook, which tells you everything you need to know in order to play and is a measly 34 page .pdf, or you can access the comprehensive rules which cover any and all possible situations for any and all possible gameplay scenarios. That clocks in at 169 pages.