This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Over confident geeks vs. Under confident geeks

edited November 2009 in Everything Else
Browsing these forums, I've noticed a natural disparity between two types of geeks. I've found myself encountering many more of the first kind, and less and less of the second kind. I weigh far more into the second kind, and I think a few others on these forums know what that feels like. But I've noticed more people on these forums showing extreme confidence, and therefore having trouble relating to those of us who are under confident. I find it strange that people with such similar interests, backgrounds, and intelligence can have such disparities in their confidence level, and that it hinders us from having successful understanding of one another at times.
I'm not really sure how to approach this, or what exactly I'm asking for...But it does seem like an idea worth confronting.

Comments

• Keep in mind Axel, while it may not be true for all, the internet is the perfect place for any geek to easily play the overconfident type, or even evolve into that (once he/she reaches the right level or uses the correct stone). I'm sure you'd find way more under-confident geeks if everyone online suddenly had to talk to each other in the same room.
  • I dunno. At Otakon I seemed to encounter quite the opposite. The people I met at Otakon all seemed over confident/regularly confident in person, and some have stayed the same online, while others changed to be under confident.
    And the main problem I notice is the over confident criticizing the under confident as "emo." I'm sure the under confident have also made similar generalizations about the over confident.
  • edited November 2009
    But I've noticed more people on these forums showing extreme confidence, and therefore having trouble relating to those of us who are under confident.
    I used to be incredibly under-confident. The thing is, over time, you learn confidence and become more comfortable with yourself. Well, if you're paying attention to what we're saying, you will. :)

It's not that we don't understand, it's that we've already been over all that, and it's sometimes frustrating when someone else is still going through it. I try to remember compassion as often as possible, but sometimes, I forget.

EDIT: Here's the take-home message. You're under-confident because you're young, inexperienced, and unsure of yourself. Grab the world by the balls and learn how to live, and you'll grow a steel spine.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • The negative consequence of overconfidence is that you will attempt things and fail at them.

The negative consequence of being under-confident is that you will miss opportunities do to lack of attempt.

One of these results in fulfillment of potential, the other does not.

John Wooden was the UCLA basketball coach. He is considered one of, if not the, greatest coach ever, period. Not just basketball coach, anything coach. He says that the definition of success is not winning or losing, but fulfilling your potential. If you do the best that you can do, then you have succeeded. Everyone is different, and has different levels of ability. Even though only one can win, in a tournament at least, it is still possible for everyone to succeed.

Lack of confidence is a direct impediment to success. Even if your maximum potential is low, having low confidence will simply result in you doing and being less than what you could be. Where are the successful people who were not confident? The few that exists were simply lucky. That's not something you want to bet on.

If your confidence is low, step it up.

Here is Jon Wooden's TED Talk.

• It's not that we don't understand, it's that we've already been over all that, and it's sometimes frustrating when someone else is still going through it. I try to remember compassion as often as possible, but sometimes, I forget.
    I understand that it seems annoying when we're under confident, trust me. My brother is far more under confident than even me, and his self attacks bother me, so I understand where you're coming from. But you're right in that more compassion would be good. Even just showing enough compassion to ignore the issue if you really have nothing constructive to say.
    But the problem doesn't seem to be that cut and dry. I've seen over confident teens on this forum, as well, people who clearly never grew out of under confidence, or are simply hiding behind a veil like loltsundere pointed out.
  • @Scott
    I understand that being under confident has plenty bad effects. That's not really what I'm getting at here. The fact is, some people are naturally under confident, and this won't change. I am probably one of those people, although only time will tell. My point is that there is a real separation in communication between the under confident and over confident. That's what I find interesting.
    Nevertheless, what you say about confidence is true, so thanks for that, even though it doesn't really help me individually.
  • I dunno. At Otakon I seemed to encounter quite the opposite. The people I met at Otakon all seemed over confident/regularly confident in person, and some have stayed the same online, while others changed to be under confident.
    And the main problem I notice is the over confident criticizing the under confident as "emo." I'm sure the under confident have also made similar generalizations about the over confident.
    Really now? When I went to Otakon, most people I met (whom I didn't already know) were either low on confidence, or they were overconfident in that really offsetting, socially awkward sort of way... if anyone else who's been to an anime con knows what I mean. :P

What Pete said is true. I was also extremely low on confidence once. It's still a battle for me in some areas. Yet still, when I see someone closer to my age who's perceived as being wimpy about an issue I struggled to overcome, impatience usually overtakes compassion.
  • But I've noticed more people on these forums showing extreme confidence, and therefore having trouble relating to those of us who are under confident.
    I used to be incredibly under-confident. The thing is, over time, you learn confidence and become more comfortable with yourself. Well, if you're paying attention to what we're saying, you will. :)

It's not that we don't understand, it's that we've already been over all that, and it's sometimes frustrating when someone else is still going through it. I try to remember compassion as often as possible, but sometimes, I forget.

EDIT: Here's the take-home message. You're under-confident because you're young, inexperienced, and unsure of yourself. Grab the world by the balls and learn how to live, and you'll grow a steel spine.
    Once again, Peter shares his knowledge to us all. Yes, you'll be inexperienced at first, but once you take a chance and really do things, your confidence will build up. Going to a social event is a risk in it of itself but doing so will teach you some things you may not have ever thought about.
  • In all seriousness, learn a martial art. Something real, like boxing, wrestling, muay thai or judo. It's amazing how much it improves your confidence in all aspects of life to know that you can probably kick someone's shit in if it comes down to it.
  • This thread wasn't about how to build my confidence, but thanks for the suggestions. :)
  • The fact is, some people are naturally under confident, and this won't change.
    What do you mean naturally under confident? Do you want to be more confident, and just feel unable to be so, or do you like not being confident? It's not a matter of nature. Do you not have free will? Are you not in control of your own mind? You can be confident if you want to be. Just do it. It's entirely within you, and up to you. Just be how you want to be.
  • edited November 2009
    For one, I don't like being confident a lot of the time, because I feel that I am being cocky/arrogant, or that I don't deserve to be confident about my abilities when most of the evidence I get seems to say that I should just be modest.
    Also, as I've told many people, the idea of being confident is illogical. You say that I have control, and that I should just be confident. But in order to be confident, I have to have confidence. They're almost two separate things. Needless to say, I don't have confidence in myself, and therefore I can't be confident. It's not a matter of just being confident, because that would be false. I don't believe in myself most of the time, not by choice, but by nature.

Edit: Also, being under confident doesn't stop me from striving towards my goals. I still work towards them, I'm just doubtful that I'll succeed like I want to a lot of the time. For some things this isn't the case, but...Yeah...
    Post edited by Axel on
  • I think it's a matter of willpower, setting out to prove something to yourself, and a little bit of "fake it till you make it" when first trying to build confidence. Also, positive life experience that you bring upon yourself. It is in no way impossible to become a confident person after once being insecure. I know this.
  • I'm just doubtful that I'll succeed like I want to a lot of the time.
    Hence my previous advice regarding the nature of success.
  • I'm not saying that it's not impossible to change, I was merely saying it's not by choice that I'm not confident like Scott seems to be suggesting.
    But I do think you're right about the faking confidence part, and I don't see how that can help. I feel it's more healthy to live honestly, but still try to do things even if you think you're going to fail. I suppose I'm a contradiction by putting a lot of effort into things that I'm not confident about. Like I said, I still try, I'm just never sure that I'll make it through, and am usually pretty convinced of the opposite. It's under confident pessimism.
  • edited November 2009
    I don't believe in myself most of the time, not by choice, but by nature.
    I used to think like that too.

You're wrong. It is a choice. It might be a deep subconscious choice, but it's a choice nonetheless. It's easier to defeat yourself before you even try something. Trust me, I know.

Honestly, you need to get more experience in the world. Meet more people. Listen to their stories. Try to get inside their heads. You'll find that everyone, at some point or another, suffered from a lack of confidence. It's a universal human trait. Perseverance is the key to overcoming it.

EDIT: You're perfectly showing the single over-arching characteristic of all low self-confidence people: self-centering. It's good to be self-centered in some respects, don't get me wrong; however, you're making it out like you're the only person who's ever suffered a lack of confidence.

It's all about getting perspectives that aren't your own. Do that, learn a lot about how other people are, and try to figure it out in that context. You'll be surprised just how many people you peg as being over-confident are really under-confident people. The douchebag who starts a fight at a concert? He's far less confident than the guy who's breaking up the fight, and less confident than the guy who brushes him off.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • My original discussion point is lost. Ah well.

I didn't really want to argue about my under confidence, because there's almost no argument to be had. It's a fundamental difference in the way we view things, only changeable by experience.
    Anyways...
  • I'm not really sure how to approach this, or what exactly I'm asking for...But it does seem like an idea worth confronting.
    I'm not really sure what sort of discussion you were trying to start. It seems like talking about your insecurity has explored a lot of what the thread was originally about.

For me confidence is a constant battle. I have to keep remembering to avoid thinking about myself too much (a tough thing when I'm stuck in the boonies) and to avoid holding people above myself (which is what the first post seems to be about). I'm always re-evaluating my abilities and improving myself, and no matter what the situation I drive into it head on without entertaining the idea of holding back. I'm hardly ever confident about it; I'm scared of almost everything, and I tear myself apart about every decision. I'm just hoping I can brute force that until that goes away.
  • I used to be very under confident in the real world but, at some point, I decided that my internet "Me" would be my only me. To hell with underconfident Victor (he always slowed me down anyhow). Be Awesome. Be Adventurous. Do what your ideal you would do and you will be your ideal you.

You see, you gotta understand that Bruce Wayne isn't your secret Identity, Batman is. Just get rid of Bruce and batman can be your only identity.
  • Some people will say "be yourself" - ignore them. You're always going to be yourself, whatever you do. Much better advice is "be who you want to be" - you can.
  • As was said by others, the primary detriment of overconfidence is failure.

Consider now the Burning Wheel. What's the fasted way to advance your skills (or die)? Failure!

Fail early, and fail often. You learn more from one catastrophic failure than you do from thousands of easy successes. Courage Wolf! Wrar!
  • As was said by others, the primary detriment of overconfidence is failure.

Consider now the Burning Wheel. What's the fasted way to advance your skills (or die)? Failure!

Fail early, and fail often. You learn more from one catastrophic failure than you do from thousands of easy successes. Courage Wolf! Wrar!
    I knew the Burning Wheel reference was coming.
  • I knew the Burning Wheel reference was coming.
    Yea, I wouldn't NECESSARILY take real world advice from a game that gives you certain benefits for failing in a way that results in your death.
  • Yea, I wouldn't NECESSARILY take real world advice from a game that gives you certain benefits for failing in a way that results in your death.
    I don't know, I learned some awesome driving skills in that fashion. I can't seem to find a way to nearly kill myself programming, how do I advance my programming skills?
  • edited November 2009
    I don't know, I learned some awesome driving skills in that fashion. I can't seem to find a way to nearly kill myself programming, how do I advance my programming skills?
    Keep working on that A.I. that will benefit society but later turn on it turning us into human batteries or flying off into space never to be seen again* after a brutal war.

*only to return 20 years later to destroy our society.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • how do I advance my programming skills?
    You can't just write a program that works on the first go. You have to write the broken program and then fix it until it works. Then repeat.
  • Much better advice is "be who you want to be" - youcan.
    Okay then, I want to be Blind Lemon Jefferson. No wait, Tito Jackson. Yeah, I want to be Tito Jackson.
  • edited November 2009
    Back in college and even now I just try to fake being confident. I do it well some days and others I just show I'm not in a good mood. Look straight ahead, don't slouch and talk smooth. Sometimes I forget to if I'm shy around the person I'm talking to. Other times like at a con I'm just so comfortable it doesn't matter.

It worked well in college, but it kinda backfired because people thought I was too cool for things. It's kinda weird to explain. It's like the first episode of Shugo Chara.
    Be Awesome. Be Adventurous.
    Be Sonic the hedgehog! ;P
    Post edited by Viga on
  • You can't just write a program that works on the first go. You have to write the broken program and then fix it until it works. Then repeat.
    But that doesn't threaten my life. Do I need to pay a guy to put a gun to my head while I write it?
  • But that doesn't threaten my life. Do I need to pay a guy to put a gun to my head while I write it?
    Who says it has to threaten your life?