This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

DS lite or DSi?

edited November 2009 in Video Games
Hey forum. Today I realized it was about time I got myself a Nintendo hand held. Since I have a PSP rusting away on the shelf, I thought I'd give Nintendo a shot. In the long run I want it to be my main hand held console and unlike my PSP I want to enjoy and feel like playing it . I just have a couple of questions; which console, DS lite or DSi? Can i play DS games on the DSi and vice versa? Plus which games are worth getting? Looking forward to your replies.

Comments

• The DSi can play special DSiware stuff. It's like Wiiware. You pay to download DSi exclusive games from the Internet. It also has two cameras.A DS Lite has a GBA slot, so it can play GBA games. Both systems can play DS games. It's up to you if you want to play DSi exclusive games, or GBA games.
  • DSi also has the WPA (So it connects to most wi-fi networks.), although this is mostly just for Pokemon.
  • this is mostly just for Pokemon.
    And snaking. ^_~
  • I went for a DSi and never looked back. ;P
  • edited November 2009
    I went for a DSi and never looked back. ;P
    I love my DSi, but Nintendo definitely missed the mark on not having a Virtual Console for Game Boy games.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I have the monies to purchase either of the two I was just wondering if I'm better off without the camera?. I also don't think I'll be purchasing GBA games.
  • If you have a DSi and an SP, you will be covered.
  • Personally I went for a Lite because I wanted to have Fire Pro Wrestling on the go. Since you said you don't think you'd want GBA games(and I presume you're smart enough to not want to play Guitar Hero on your DS) I would recommend the DSi
  • If I did not have a DS I would buy a DSi, but if I already had a DS I would not bother upgrading to the DSi. Same goes for PSP.
  • edited November 2009
    As something to note, Nintendo is going to be rolling out updates every now and then to block flashcarts on the DSi so you'd be looking at about a month of delaying the update while flashcart makers get their stuff out.

As far as DSi flashcards are concerned, AceKard 2i is looking pretty good. DE has it for $13.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • If you get the DSi, get it on Black Friday at Best Buy. DSi comes with pre-installed software. I want a Mario Clock & Calculator on my DSi. ; _ ;
  • Am I the only cool person left still rockin' the DS Phat?
    Nope.
    Nope.
    I've got one too. Actually, I upgraded it at Otakon by slapping a chibi Starscream sticker on it.
  • I've got one too. Actually, I upgraded it at Otakon by slapping a chibi Starscream sticker on it.
    Awesome! Starscream makes everything better! Go for the DSi, since your not looking to play any GBA games.
  • Hmm, DSi is definitely on my want list.
  • edited November 2009
    Anyone looking at the DSi Phat?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Anyone looking at the DSi Phat?
    Ew, no.
  • Anyone looking at the DSi Phat?
    Now in shit brown, just like the Zune!
  • Now in shit brown pointless rerelease, just like the Zune!
    FTFY.
  • My hands are too big for the DS Lite, which is why I would prefer the DSi, or anything bigger.
  • JayJay
    edited November 2009
    I was going to get a DSi but then I got a 450 parking ticket for parking in a handicap -_- . Reversed into a spot in an underground complex to pick up something from a friend. Never been to that complex before. Came out 30 minutes later had a yellow ticket under my wind shield wiper. Didn't even see the handicap sign it was on the back wall. There was at least 10 or so spots open within eye shot too...

Oh well, Ill get one after Christmas.
    Post edited by Jay on
  • GeoGeo
    edited November 2009
    I feel as if DSi is worth it for me since I can just get a pirate card and put GBA roms on it and not need the DS Lite to fill that need for me. Although I'll probably get the DSi LL because I don't want to squint a lot and lose my sight quicker. I think it's large screen will help me prolong my eventual blindness.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I feel as if DSi is worth it for me since I can just get a pirate card and put GBA roms
    Nope. GBA emulation on any DS model is strictly hardware-only; there's no GBA emulation without a GBA slot. The device just doesn't have the necessary hardware for software emulation of the GBA. The PSP, however, does.
  • I would recommend waiting until April, if you can manage it - there's a DSi upgrade on the horizon, the DSi XL, as Nintendo calls it. It's got a much bigger screen and a better battery life, otherwise the same as a DSi. They've got it slated for Q1 2010, so I'd say probably April, just like the original DSi. The fact that they're already pushing a new model really makes me glad I stuck with my Zelda DS Lite, have to say... though I will very likely be picking up one of these when they come out.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSi_XL
  • The purchase has been made! I now own a DS lite with Brain Training, Pokemon Diamond and Phoenix Wright.
  • The purchase has been made! I now own a DS lite with Brain Training, Pokemon Diamond and Phoenix Wright.
    The DS lite is great and sometimes it's the little things that matter - like being able to slam it shut anytime for sleep mode.

Those games you have are top rated for sure but if you really want to see what the DS can do, I recommend a little game called Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan. It's all Japanese but extremely easy to navigate.

I wish I could go back and play that game again for the first time... that's all I'm going to say =)