This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PC Gaming Podcasts - A Recurring Theme

edited November 2009 in Video Games
Why is it that a large percentage of the content in PC Gaming podcasts is dedicated to repeatedly pointing out that the PC version of game is better that the console version. I have three problems with this: 1) If it's so evident and agreed upon already, why continue to talk out it - do they feel threatened by consoles?, 2) Shouldn't a platform of choice be up to the individual and not shoved down their throat?, 3) Shouldn't they focus on the games and not the platforms? I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Comments

• They need something to fill the time and this happens to be the low hanging fruit.
  • There aren't that many PC games to talk about.

Also, pretty much every gaming podcast sucks.
  • I'd like to point out that the last good PC Gaming podcast died with GFW Radio. What podcasts are you referring to in particular?
  • I'm listening to the PC Gamer Podcast right now, but even the guys on GFW did it...don't get me wrong I love those guys and still follow their content today.
  • There aren't that many PC games to talk about.

Also, pretty much every gaming podcast sucks.
    Are you kidding me?
  • edited November 2009
    Why is it that a large percentage of the content in PC Gaming podcasts is dedicated to repeatedly pointing out that the PC version of game is better that the console version. I have three problems with this: 1) If it's so evident and agreed upon already, why continue to talk out it - do they feel threatened by consoles?, 2) Shouldn't a platform of choice be up to the individual and not shoved down their throat?, 3) Shouldn't they focus on the games and not the platforms? I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.
    Why? Because for a large genre of games it's true. Console's sell more games so of course they are defensive about their platform that actually plays games better. Take Dragon Age: Origins it just plays better on the PC...(that is fast enough)...
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited November 2009
    Edit - Holy christ, this is one serious wall of text. My apologies for getting off on a rant.
    1) If it's so evident and agreed upon already, why continue to talk out it - do they feel threatened by consoles?
    That's just stupid. If it's "Evident and agreed upon" then they wouldn't be threatened by consoles. Also, You're reviewing a Game that's multi-platform. It's better on one type of system over another. Are you going to just not include this in your review? Also, I note that you don't point out that every time a game comes out on both PS3 and 360, there is endless debate about which system it looks better on. Do you give that discussion a free pass because it's on consoles?
    2) Shouldn't a platform of choice be up to the individual and not shoved down their throat?
    Saying something that's true isn't shoving anything down anyone's throat. If someone points out that a Game looks better on the PC, that's not shoving it down your throat, even if they say it repeatedly, unless you're a console fanboy who doesn't like having your ideas challenged, and unfortunately, these people do exist.
    3) Shouldn't they focus on the games and not the platforms?
    That's not good method for reviewing, unless you're only reviewing on one platform. For example, if you're reviewing Modern Warfare 1 on the PC and the Xbox 360, and you leave platforms entirely out of it, you're only giving half a review, because both experiences are fundamentally different, and the multiplayer is markedly different between the two systems - frankly, if I'm going to lash out my hard-earned ducats on a game, and I'm chosing between systems, I want to damn well know, if not which is better, certainly the differences and features of each.
    Why is it that a large percentage of the content in PC Gaming podcasts is dedicated to repeatedly pointing out that the PC version of game is better that the console version.
    That's not a question, but I'll answer it anyway - Because, generally, they are. You can build a PC that runs Crysis, for example, with the graphics maxed out, at a playable frame rate. An Xbox 360 won't run Crysis - It doesn't even meet the minimum specs(except in processor speed.) Say, You release an absolute ball-tearer of a game, the prettiest game Ever made, Most accurate physics engine ever built, this thing will push any modern PC pretty hard, but it's the whole box and dice.
    But it's just wasted money if you want to release anywhere but PC, because you have two options - Either upgrade every Xbox that wants to play it(possible, but Microsoft would never approve it, and it would only be done by the hard-core modding community) or you can neuter your game to make it run on consoles, so that you can make some money.

As for controllers? Well, I like the idea of a joystick for moment, it's much better for fine control than a keyboard, where you have a binary input state, on or off. For most other things? Keyboard+mouse wins.
    I'll admit, there are games that go better with a game-pad, but for the most part, Keyboard and mouse are superior.
    Just for an example, let's take a Look at looking and aiming. On consoles, it's normally a thumb-stick, and on the PC, it's a mouse. Not a big deal, you say?
    Well, let's pit my mouse - a well used Razer Krait, the bottom end of the Razer mice. It's a laser, to big buttons, and a scroll wheel, and buggerall else, but even though it's basically the little cousin of most of the "Gaming mice" out there, It'll tear the arse out of your "Designed just for gaming" controller and hear the lamentations of it's plasticy, rumble-enabled women. It's faster, provides greater accuracy translating your movements, and it's pretty much intuitive. The only disadvantage is that when you click, it shifts your aim, since you're moving your hand - a problem easily negated by assigning a second fire key on your keyboard.

And this still isn't shoving it down your throat, it's simply stating what's true, though admittedly with my usual odd phrasing and emphasis. Shoving it down someone's throat sounds like "OMG YOU CANNOT GAME ON THE PC, CONSOLES ARE BETTER 100% OF THE TIME AT 100% OF THINGS THAT ARE GAMING RELATED PC GAMING IS DEAD AND IF YOU THINK OTHERWISE YOU'RE WRONG!!!!!111!!ONE."
    I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.
    You just did. Pleasure to be of service.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I'd like to point out that the last good PC Gaming podcast died with GFW Radio. What podcasts are you referring to in particular?
    The Idle Thumbs podcast was pretty good, but it just ended a few weeks ago too. It feels like in the last two years, almost every gaming podcast worth a damn died.
  • almost every gaming podcast worth a damn died.
    GeekNights? Nah, they suck.
  • almost every gaming podcast worth a damn died.
    GeekNights? Nah, they suck.
    Hey, I put "almost" in there.
  • GeekNights? Nah, they suck.
    You guys have only had a Wii for two years, what do you know about gaming?
  • Fast Karate. That is all.
  • Fast Karate. That is all.
    Thread over.
  • GFW Radio was very good. There's some discussion of PC gaming on Rebel FM, which was a splinter of the 1upocalypse, but it would probably annoy Rym and Scott because they have a lot of outside noise on the podcast
  • If someone goes out of there way to make a podcast about JUST PC games, don't you think that, I don't know, they probably like PC games more?
  • I guess I'm just expected more out of my gaming podcasts, which I shouldn't considering they are free. But I am a video game player who doesn't care about platforms, I've played numerous games on both consoles and PCs (Mass Effect, FEAR, HL1, HL2, Fallout 3, BioShock, Riddick, Doom 3, Quake 4, just to name a few) and I enjoyed them on both. Perhaps the keyboard and mouse superiority thing doesn't bother me that much because I primarily play single player games.

When listening to video game podcasts I'd like to hear more about the story, where the ideas came from, related media, and more general discussions about the game. I don't care if pointing the mouse cursor at the monsters head is better than moving the analog stick over it's head. Most people already have their platform of choice in mind before they buy a game, so I don't see the need of pointing out which is better again and again.
  • so I don't see the need of pointing out which is better again and again.
    As you said, you don't play multiplayer games. Go play some and you'll learn quite a few things. The most obvious thing you will learn is that on the PC, you will die instantly and constantly in most games. The reason is that the skill ceiling is so incredibly high. On the console this is less true. Because of the low skill cieling, even the best player can't be that much better than anyone else because they are limited by the controls.

That may sound like a good thing to someone who doesn't have big skills, and just wants to have fun playing a game. It's a horrible thing if you care about winning and a high quality competition.
  • so I don't see the need of pointing out which is better again and again.
    As you said, you don't play multiplayer games. Go play some and you'll learn quite a few things. The most obvious thing you will learn is that on the PC, you will die instantly and constantly in most games. The reason is that the skill ceiling is so incredibly high. On the console this is less true. Because of the low skill cieling, even the best player can't be that much better than anyone else because they are limited by the controls.

That may sound like a good thing to someone who doesn't have big skills, and just wants to have fun playing a game. It's a horrible thing if you care about winning and a high quality competition.
    If a player cares so much should they not already know that the PC's controls are better for multiplayer and hence not need to be repeatedly reminded of this fact. It would be the same as a videophile listening to a movie podcast and being told constantly that they should watch the movie on Bluray, not DVD.
  • If a player cares so much should they not already know that the PC's controls are better for multiplayer and hence not need to be repeatedly reminded of this fact. It would be the same as a videophile listening to a movie podcast and being told constantly that they should watch the movie on Bluray, not DVD.
    You underestimate the number of morons who do not already know the obvious.
  • Perhaps you are right.