This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Cyber Monday

edited November 2009 in Technology
I just recently found out that internet sites like newegg and zipzoomfly have their own version of black friday, cyber mondays. I've never took advantage of these sales before so I'm not sure what to do. Hopefully someone else with previous experience can help me out here. When and how can I find out what the special deals are? Do I have to camp the site at midnight and buy things as fast as I can so they won't run out? How will I know which things are discounted and which aren't? How much of a discount do things actually get to? Are the deals better than a best buy on black friday?

Comments

• Unless you are a really sad person, it is probably not worth your time to deal with this kind of thing. My time, at least, is worth a lot more to me than any meager amount of money I will save. I mean, if you really care about saving money, you can follow every single woot-off and amazon gold box deal every hour of every day.

I suggest simply following the same purchasing strategy as always. Know what you want, do research, buy. If there happen to be deals on a special day, go to whatever site you care about on that day and see what the prices are. If you are unable to tell which price is a deal, and which price is not, then you obviously did not do a very good job in the research step.

In buying or selling anything, if you do not know what a good price is for something, you should not be buying that something.
  • Most of my friends make a list of things they want (because if they need it, they would have bought it already) beforehand, if something on the list pops up, they buy, if not, they don't buy anything else.
  • edited November 2009
    In buying or selling anything, if you do not know what a good price is for something, you should not be buying that something.
    Truth!

I actually like shopping on black Friday. I know all the deals in advance, match it up with anything I need or would like to give, and then I laser shop. The only annoying part is any traffic in the parking lots, but if you can put up with that, then it isn't a big deal. I would just recommend having some good podcasts, music, and your favorite beverage to enjoy as you wait in any traffic.

Cyber Monday is hit-or-miss with me. Like Scott says, you have to know the value of the item you are looking for (price, quality, options, etc.) before you purchase. Some items I really prefer to buy in a physical store for the option for seeing their quality first hand. Since I comparison shop and usually plan shopping in advance, I can go to a store on a less busy shopping day and see/try on/handle/try the product first and then watch for sales online.

One major recommendation I have for you is to make a list of items you want/need. Do your research and do not make any impulse purchases once you are looking through the store or website.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • In buying or selling anything, if you do not know what a good price is for something, you should not be buying that something.
    Truth!

I actually like shopping on black Friday. I know all the deals in advance, match it up with anything I need or would like to give, and then I laser shop. The only annoying part is any traffic in the parking lots, but if you can put up with that, then it isn't a big deal. I would just recommend having some good podcasts, music, and your favorite beverage to enjoy as you wait in any traffic.

Cyber Monday is hit-or-miss with me. Like Scott says, you have to know the value of the item you are looking for (price, quality, options, etc.) before you purchase. Some items I really prefer to buy in a physical store for the option for seeing their quality first hand. Since I comparison shop and usually plan shopping in advance, I can go to a store on a less busy shopping day and see/try on/handle/try the product first and then watch for sales online.

One major recommendation I have for you is to make a list of items you want/need. Do your research and do not make any impulse purchases once you are looking through the store or website.
    I find it kinda like an adventure in shopping, I don't really go out to stores much anymore so Black friday is that one day where I kinda sneak around comparing prices and finding the best deals (Laura's family does this as sort of a tradition with teams and store assignments) it's actually kinda fun.
  • In buying or selling anything, if you do not know what a good price is for something, you should not be buying that something.
    Truth!

Indeed. Great deals have been had.
  • The...fuck?

Shit is absurd.
  • Aftera crazed mob of Long Island black Friday shoppers literally killed a man so they could get into the Wal-Mart faster last year, I was given one less reason to ever subject myself to the Black Friday crowds.
    That is the reason I don't go out in public until after 10 AM on Black Friday ever-for-any-reason-no-exceptions-unless-it's-the-hospital. I need nothing badly enough to put myself through that kind of shit or close proximity to those kinds of people.
  • Oh, I don't get there until the stores have been open for a minimum of two hours.