This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

New York-ians, Weigh In!

edited November 2009 in Everything Else
180 pou- No I'm just kidding.

I have a friend who's considering taking a semester of broadcast journalism in New York State, but can't choose which college. She originally asked me, but since I'm not from New York, I didn't know much. I did, however, tell her that I knew a few New York-ians, so I'd shake the branch and tell her what falls out. So... *Shake Shake Shake* Here's her original message.
So im thinking about doing a semester abroad at a college in NY. Im looking at possibly 4 schools and not a guarantee on admission, however I have to put them in order of preference and they take that into consideration when finding schools for placement. Since your from the east side of the country I was hoping you might have an ideas or could give me some insight to help me with this indecisive state im in.

1.Queens college, city university of New York
2. Stony Brook University (SUNY)
3. SUNY College at Buffalo (Buffalo State)
4. William Paterson University of New Jersey

Now I researched all 4 of these and from their websites it looks as if they have great programs in the journalism field. I'm DYING to live in the city of NY so im leaning towards Queens, but not really sure if thats the best decision. Hopefully you have some knowledge on one or any of these schools.
With the full disclaimer that I knew very little about New York, I recommended Queens. I told her it was because of all you awesome FRC people in/near new york city, citing how much of a positive role model material you guys are, and that she should totally hang out with you guys if ever presented the opportunity because of how much she can learn from you by osmosis and example.

SO, What do the positive role model type people have to say about her selections?

Comments

• Here is my completely biased, non-researched opinion:

1. I've heard good things about NYC city colleges. Does she want to live in a city?

2. I've only heard the name in passing, but never bad things. I'm not actually sure where it is in NY.

3. Firstly, she'd have to live in Buffalo. Secondly, I'm not sure how good the school is.

4. Firstly, she'd have to live in Jersey. Secondly...she'd have to live in Jersey.

I hope that was somewhat (greater than 0.000001%) informative.
  • I don't know that much about the others, but I did my exchange program at Queens College, and was very happy with it. They had good faculty, a nice focus on academics, and they're very affordable.
  • My mom went to Queen's College, but that was decades ago. I think Sienfeld went there also.

Also, Jeff Jarvis is an associate professor at CUNY school of journalism. He wrote a book called "What Would Google Do?" and he's one of the hosts of "This Week in Google", which is one of the TWiT podcasts with Leo Laporte. Don't know what that says about the rest of the journalism there, but it's all I know.
  • Having gone to SUNY Buffalo for my Master's, I can tell you the campus is large and the school has a great reputation, but the city of Buffalo is a hole. Excellent source of junk food however.
  • Anyone else care to share their experience and wisdom?
  • Having gone to SUNY Buffalo for my Master's, I can tell you the campus is large and the school has a great reputation, but the city of Buffalo is a hole. Excellent source of junk food however.
    Nothing else could be said; this is the perfect synopsis of either SUNY Buffalo or Buff. State.

My girlfriend has also been looking at SUNY schools recently, and was warned against Stony Brook in favor of SUNY Purchase, but I think it was a concern over the quality of the art program. Honestly, if she wants to live in the city, do Queens; tho my buddy George went to NYU and apparently he loved it. Would that be an option for her?
  • My little brother is in an MFA program at Queens College. I can get some feedback from him if you'd like.
  • My little brother is in an MFA program at Queens College. I can get some feedback from him if you'd like.
    Could you? I'd really appreciate that.
    Could you? I'd really appreciate that.
    Likewise.