This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Addicted to Fake Achievment

edited November 2009 in Video Games
There's a really great article over at Pixel Poppers called Awesome By Proxy: Addicted to Fake Achievement. This guy is really just saying a lot of the things we have always been saying here at GeekNights. However, he comes at it from a different angle that does not involve game theory, so I think it's a little more accessible.

Comments

• Definitely more accessible than our critiques, and says basically the same thing.
  • edited November 2009
    I'd just like to point something out to Scott. Here's a quote from the article, with some choice statements emphasized:
    Sonic Adventure DX didn't take long to beat, but I didn't let myself stop there: the game had an achievement system, in which the player was awarded with "emblems" for reaching various goals - like speeding Sonic through stages with impressively quick times. Many of them were very difficult, and I couldn't accomplish them on the first, second, fifth, or tenth attempt. But I kept trying. And when I finally had all 160 emblems the game offered, I knew I'd crossed a milestone. I, not Sonic, had improved until I could pass these challenges. I had developed actual skills, even if they were objectively useless ones. I had done something I could actually be proud of: I had built a habit of not giving up.
    Achievements are not always useless.

Otherwise, that was a good read. We've talked quite a lot about games not being sufficiently difficult, but this guy does a good job of breaking down how we get addicted to mediocrity.

EDIT: I will say that good RPG's do have challenges within them (puzzles, hard fights, and so forth), but that yes, overall, victory is inevitable. The last 20 or so hours of Dragon Age have been hard as balls, with lots of reloading and attempts at different strategies, but I can feel the difficulty curve starting to break.

EDIT 2: I take that back. Fuck you, Corrupted Spider Matriarch.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Reposting here because it's relevant.

Skilled gamers can drill down to the core of a game pretty rapidly. You don't need to play Ra more than once to understand that it's just a slot machine. Once you understand the wholeness of what a game is at its core, it's very difficult to continue to enjoy said game unless this knowledge does not provide a perfect play strategy.

If I don't understand a game and have not mastered it, then I must continue to play until I achieve understanding or mastery.
    If I don't understand a game and have mastered it, then I must continue to play until I understand how I have mastered it.

If I understand a game and have not mastered it, I will only continue playing if what remains to be mastered is stimulating (dexterity, for example) or worthwhile independent of the understanding. For example, if I learn how to win at Mario Kart DS (snaking), but mastery of this is unpleasant and unstimulating (snaking), then I have no reason to continue playing.

If I understand a game and have mastered it, then there is no reason to ever play again except to teach or to prove my mastery.

Very rarely will understanding of a game be delayed beyond a short amount of initial play, except in cases where investment in a bad or understood part of the game is required in order to access other, better content (which itself is the GaoGaiGar situation, hardly optimal). In fact, a game I could not understand is intriguing until I do so. But, once understood, unless the game has more to offer beyond understanding, there is no reason to ever play it again.

I understand WoW. I have chosen not to master it. I understand Advance Wars, and have continued to work toward total mastery. I understand CounterStrike, but I have not mastered it due to the high skill cap. I understand HoN, but again choose not to master it. I do not understand T&E fully, and continue to work toward mastery as a test of my intelligence.
  • I just like getting the achievements in L4D2 because it is something else about the game I can complete. It's like catching all the Pokemon, its just a fun thing I can do aside from playing the game itself.
  • I just like getting the achievements in L4D2 because it is something else about the game I can complete. It's like catching all the Pokemon, its just a fun thing I can do aside from playing the game itself.
    Why is it fun?
  • Sometimes a game is a social activity. I can have fun playing spin the bottle, even though I know it is 100% chance, and has no element of skill.
  • I can have fun playing spin the bottle, even though I know it is 100% chance, and has no element of skill.
    Kissing is a skill. You understand the game, and you're now working on mastery. There is also a tangible benefit. WoW is a lot less meaningless if you get kisses at the end.
  • Actually Scott, I have to say he is saying something completely different than you. You were saying that achievements do absolutely nothing to add to a game while the article describes how "mastery" achievements extend gameplay and foster a more healthy approach to problem solving. It all depends on the implementation, a point I tried to convey to you multiple times on the last very long (and very tiresome) discussion we had about this topic, but you simply wouldn't accept.
  • Yeah, I don't think all achievements are worthless. Take L4D for example, I'm not going to complain if my teammates are going for headshots more often because there's an achievement for it.
  • My only beef with achievements is that they should be better integrated with the game, as opposed to being this meta-framework duct taped into it.
  • I almost always lol at the punny name when they pop up in L4D2. I don't go out of my way to get them, but I do quite enjoy seeing them.
  • Then again, I guess Valve is really on the ball about putting good achievements in their games. Even their most cruel achievement (the gnome one in HL2 Episode 2) is sort of awesome. My real beef with achievements is when developers put them in in place of neat unlockable content.
  • If you think that contradicts me on the achievement issue, then you don't understand my problem with achievements. If you want to do something like beat L4D with only melee weapons, good for you. People are still doing speed runs on Bionic Commando, or trying to beat Zelda 1 without a sword. That's all cool. The problems come in a few places.

Number one is the way TF2 uses achievements. They give you some reward, and an actual in-game advantage for partaking in some activity that is not winning the game. Anything that encourages players to do something besides try to win with all of their might, especially in a multiplayer game, is basically encouraging griefing. It's just really really bad on so many levels. The fact that people have servers just to farm the achievements really shows you something is wrong. You never see that in CS or NS or any real game.

Achievements destroy immersion. If I'm deep into HL2 and some extraneous message shows up, that totally brings me out of the game.

Why does their have to be a system of points, and badges, and showing off, and such and such. If you think it would be cool for people to dry to beat a level without jumping, just post a list of suggested challenges. With the gamer scores and such, people get obsessed with it, and it becomes just like leveling in WoW. People will sit their doing things that they would otherwise never do, and they will admit they are not having fun, simply because they really really want their gamer score to go up. I've even heard of people buying games they would never otherwise buy because the game had achievements that were trivial to get, and were worth a lot of points.

Obviously not everyone is so affected by the score, so the players who are obsessed with it bear much of the blame. Though for the players who do not care about the score, what purpose does it serve? You either care, and it will affect your behavior, or you don't care, and it might as well not exist.
  • What a coincidence, another article shows up on Kotaku today.

Why I Don't Play World of Warcraft

Looks like the "professional" game reviewers don't dig WoW either.
  • Scott, your original claim from the original thread about Achievements way back in 2007:
    I'm only arguing against all these people who are claiming that achievements add something extra to a game.
    The posts above tell that nothing much really has changed. However, the article you posted quite clearly contradicts you in this because he says that achievements can add to a games replayability. He qualified it though that it depends on implementation e.g. the performance vs. mastery issue. Your issue with immersion is also an implementation problem. Just give an option to turn off notifications (such as the XBox 360 provides) and voila, problem solved.

Achievements do in fact add something to the game. At the very least Rym's obsession with S-Ranks in Advance Wars should tell you as much.
  • Did Rym ever elaborate on whether he drove himself to get those S Ranks, or is he that mothefuckin' good?
  • Did Rym ever elaborate on whether he drove himself to get those S Ranks, or is hethatmothefuckin' good?
    trying to get an achievement just for the points/badge/whatever is like training for the Olympics when all you really want is the gold medal. If all you want is a medal, buy one. Don't do something you don't enjoy just because you like the meaningless reward. Rym got the S ranks not because he wanted Ses to show up on the screen, but because he wanted to master Advance Wars. He wasn't that fucking good, he became that fucking good.
  • I can understand why you don't like WoW and dislike the way achievements are handled in TF2. I don't either.
    Number one is the way TF2 uses achievements. They give you some reward, and an actual in-game advantage for partaking in some activity that is not winning the game. Anything that encourages players to do something besides try to win with all of their might, especially in a multiplayer game, is basically encouraging griefing. It's just really really bad on so many levels. The fact that people have servers just to farm the achievements really shows you something is wrong. You never see that in CS or NS or any real game.
    I agree. However in most games achievements don't actually earn you anything except a fancy badge and some bragging rights.
    Achievements destroy immersion. If I'm deep into HL2 and some extraneous message shows up, that totally brings me out of the game.
    I can understand where you're coming from. However, the is a big difference between HL2 and L4D2. HL2 is a single-player game where immersion is one of the purposes in the game. L4D2, on the other hand, is meant to be less immersive than HL2 because it isn't a single-player game telling a story and putting you in a world that is supposed to totally immerse you. You are playing with other people and generally having a good time for the most part.
    Why does their have to be a system of points, and badges, and showing off, and such and such. If you think it would be cool for people to dry to beat a level without jumping, just post a list of suggested challenges. With the gamer scores and such, people get obsessed with it, and it becomes just like leveling in WoW. People will sit their doing things that they would otherwise never do, and they will admit they are not having fun, simply because they really really want their gamer score to go up. I've even heard of people buying games they would never otherwise buy because the game had achievements that were trivial to get, and were worth a lot of points.
    I agree when they actuallygive you extras in games, or increase a "score" like on Xbox Live, however on Steam for the most part it is fun, it adds some more direction for people who might otherwise be tired of the game but still want to play it, and so forth. May I call to mind Rym's Advance Wars thing? He doesn't get much more out of it than entertainment and self-gratification.
  • Again, why is the score and badge system necessary? What good does it do that could not be had simply by providing a list of of suggested challenges?

Also, some achievements are secret! Yes, you can look them up on the Internet. But the fact that secret achievements even exist really destroys a lot of the arguments in defense of them.
  • A lot of people I know consider collecting all the achievements as finishing the game. When I see the end credits playing then I usually feel that I have completed the game, unless its something like animal crossing where there is no end. I do feel the need to complete achievements for items such as new characters and wardrobe changes, because its something I want and makes the game more enjoyable to me. Damn you Ultimate Alliance and Tekken! Other games, I don't really care if I complete all the side tasks, such as the simulations in UA2.
    Playing games makes people happy. Everyone should be able to play the game the way they want to regardless of how they do it by meager tasks or completing the storyline. This guy felt that he was playing games for all the wrong reasons, but that doesn't mean that we should feel dirty for wanting to completing all the achievements in a game.
  • Again, why is the score and badge system necessary? What good does it do that could not be had simply by providing a list of of suggested challenges?

Also, some achievements are secret! Yes, you can look them up on the Internet. But the fact that secret achievements even exist really destroys a lot of the arguments in defense of them.
    1. Nobody argues that it's necessary. What we argue is whether it adds something to the game or not.
    2. We have already talked about that not all achievements are the same, a point also well made in the article you linked to! Secret achievements aren't necessarily something I agree with. You on the other hand are trying to lump them all together. Secret Achievements can be somewhat usefull, e.g. when the achievement is based on an element in the story.

As stated multiple times before, it all depends on the implementation. However, the concept of achievements, that is to say rewards for doing something inside a game that do not necessarily have any influence on the game itself, isn't anything really objectionable.
  • Wow. That article summed up my major complaint with most RPG videogames. What is the difference between killing a "level 1" monster with a "level 1" sword versus killing a "level 9" monster with a "level 9" sword?

Nothing. No difference at all. Leveling up in an RPG is practically meaningless, yet is so often the majority of the experience offered. This is why I haven't touched one in quite some time. I am sure that there are good ones out there, but I played one too many duds.
  • Nothing. No difference at all. Leveling up in an RPG is practically meaningless, yet is so often the majority of the experience offered. This is why I haven't touched one in quite some time. I am sure that there are good ones out there, but I played one too many duds.
    The good ones are ones that use other combat resolution mechanics, or aren't about leveling. For example, a Zelda game is really the same as a Final Fantasy game. You explore dungeons, you talk to people in town. The difference is that you kill monsters with manual dexterity instead of obvious menu selection, and you also solve puzzles constantly.

Also, see our Beyond D+D Panel for our discussion of why Final Fantasy, D&D;, Burning Wheel, and LARPs are all referred to as RPGs, when they are heavily dissimilar.
  • The achievements in TF2 taught me to use different skills than the standard ones I at first thought would suffice. For instance -- I wouldn't have used the pyro's flare gun had there been no incentive, and now it's a fun way to tag nubs from afar. Also, I would have focused only on backstabbing and not on sapping with the spy. Achievements done right teach you to widen your range of actions within the game. They give you more variety.
  • In Sonic Adventure 2, If you perform every level and auxiliary level objective with a grade of A, the game unlocks a 3d version of the classic Sonic 1 level "Green Hill Zone".
  • That Pixel Popper article is precisely why I'm trying to get multiple WoWie friends to convert to L4D2, which often leads to them telling me that WoW is great once you "finish leveling a character." I most often respond by saying that it makes more sense to pay for a game that delivers immediate fun and action (L4D2) than to spend on one than vaguely promises fun in the far future once one has finished months of dull prerequisite grinding. The most recent comeback I received was, "But I like the grind!" Obviously, I had no response to that.
  • In Sonic Adventure 2, If you perform every level and auxiliary level objective with a grade of A, the game unlocks a 3d version of the classic Sonic 1 level "Green Hill Zone".
    I have a friends who is dangerously close to having all the emblems. There's just like three missions that are ridiculously difficult.
  • Yet another achievements discussion. Whatever, I like achievements in L4D because they're usually humorous. I don't try for them so much as LOL when I happen to get one.
  • Yet another achievements discussion. Whatever, I like achievements in L4D because they're usually humorous. I don't try for them so much as LOL when I happen to get one.
    It is true that Valve and others often give humorous names to the achievements. If humor is what they are going for, however, I suggest they take a Mortal Kombat 2 approach. Have that announcer guy yell the name of the achievement, and put it right up there in big old letters.
  • There should be secret achievements that confer negative gamer points for things you do not want to be known for. For example there could be a 'coward' achievement for any multiplier game that is awarded when a player plays in mulitplayer mode and spends the entire game session hiding and running away from battle.

You could even have achievements for Netflix (on xbox) based on movies watched. Watch 5 Schwarzenegger movies in a 24 hour period and you get the 'Hasta La Vista, Baby' achievement.

As to the achievements present in games today there clearly are two varieties, earned and given.

Earned achievements are the ones that you have to actively do something that requires skill to earn (survive 1 hour in a deathmatch game without ever getting killed). These achievements are clearly for bragging rights and they allow you to brag beyond the group of players you earned the achievement with.

Given achievements are the ones you earn just by playing the game (win your first fight). The only thing a given achievement says is that you have played the game and gotten X far into the game. These achievements confer no bragging rights at all except to prove that you have gotten X far into a game.

Back in the day there were no achievements. We had to keep a Polaroid camera by the TV to record our high scores and other events. With achievements we don't need to do that anymore (though many PC gamers still do screen caps). We also did not have the benefit of the Internet so one could gain bragging rights for completing a hard game by revealing some sort of information that was only gained after completing a game (You didn't know Samus was a girl until you completed Metroid and she took her helmet off). Once you told enough people about a given piece of post-game knowledge that piece of information was no longer valid as proof that YOU had completed the game.

I like achievements. I think they extend the play life of some games in that they add something extra to do once you beat the game's story mode. Some achievements also lead to bonus content being unlocked and extra game modes being made available. I do not consider a game truly completed until I have acquired all of the achievements (I have only gotten 100% of achievements on two games, Lost Via Domus and Fallout3).

Do achievements affect my level of immersion in a game? Nope, not at all. Do achievements affect my decision to purchase a game? Nope.

I have been meaning to write an article about achievements but every time I get around to writing it some better article appears and I don't want my article to be perceived as some lame attempt to jump on a bandwagon.