This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Holidays

edited November 2009 in Everything Else
Is anyone as ambivalent about the holidays as I am these days? I think that the holidays were partly ruined by college and grad school papers and finals. For me, the final nails in the coffin were the lean holiday seasons when I was working for myself and no one wanted to spend money on lawyers. Things would always pick up in January, but the holidays were rough. I'll always remember this one particular holiday season when I thought finances would be good, but then a client skipped on a $3500.00 fee.

Besides the money (which isn't a problem anymore since I work for someone else), holidays are crappy when you don't have much family left. I'm at the point now when I usually just want to get through the season as quickly as possible. If I could fastwind through it, I would.

Does anyone else have the holiday depressions or is it just me?

Comments

• I'm spending my third christmas in a row away from home. It may or may not be good this year, but last year I had a trapped nerve in my spine. It wasn't fun.
  • Holidays stopped being so exciting when I had my own money, so gifts were no big deal. I don't even get or want gifts anymore. If I want something, I get it myself. There's also no religious significance, and there's a lot of bad materialism about that is very annoying.

The only good parts of the holiday season are getting time off, and spending more time with friends and family than with work. Of course, evil jobs don't give nearly enough time off. Thanksgiving day, Black Friday, Christmas Day, New Years Day. That's it. Why are employer's so cruel? If I was a boss, December 18th would be the final day of work for the year, and I wouldn't expect anyone back until January 4th.
  • If I was a boss, December 18th would be the final day of work for the year, and I wouldn't expect anyone back until January 4th.
    That would be a school-length vacation. I used to love those. A person could actually get some rest with that sort of time off.
  • That would be a school-length vacation. I used to love those. A person could actually get some rest with that sort of time off.
    I think it should be government mandated. Every full-time employee, period, must get at minimum 30 days of unpaid leave, unlimited sick time (if legitimately ill), appropriate amounts of time for mourning, maternity, paternity, etc., every federal holiday, And the final two weeks of December off. Obviously exceptions need to be made for essential jobs, can't have firemen and police not working just because it's a holiday, but those people who do work holidays must have the days compensated for.

Obviously this will never happen, but I think it would actually be hugely beneficial to everyone including employers. It would create more jobs, because you would need to hire more people since existing employees would be out more often. People would have a lot more leisure time, resulting in increased money spent on travel and leisure goods. And, of course, everyone would be happier and healthier, and thus more productive during the time they are actually working.

I also think that you shouldn't be allowed to make any person work for more than 8 hours per day. Overtime must be absolutely optional at all times. If you aren't getting the work done, then either you didn't hire enough employees, your employees are no good, or you are assigning too much work with too close a deadline. There is no reason to overwork people.

Yeah, it will never happen, but still.
  • I'm spending my third christmas in a row away from home. It may or may not be good this year, but last year I had a trapped nerve in my spine. It wasn't fun.
    My second - The last, I spent alone, and while this one could go either way, I just got an e-mail from a certain someone bragging about how He wouldn't be alone this Christmas, and I would be.
  • edited December 2009
    Yeah, it will never happen, but still.
    You can ask Santa and maybe he will make it happen...

Alright, so that's a pipe dream, but it's the sort of answer a kid would give, and isn't the innocence of youth adorable?

On a related note, my mom is giving me grief again about being an atheist, saying that I shouldn't celebrate christmas, etc., etc.... She's done this every year since I came out about it. Good grief charlie brown...
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the Holidays
  • On a related note, my mom is giving me grief again about being an atheist, saying that I shouldn't celebrate christmas, etc., etc.... She's done this every year since I came out about it. Good grief charlie brown...
    Well, you should tell her that she shouldn't celebrate it either, as it is just a pagan festival with a new coat of paint.
  • edited December 2009
    If I ever meet the people responsible for the song, Feliz Navidad, I will kill them. I don't think any jury would convict me.

How much better is Halloween? You don't have all the family crap/pressure, and you can actually have fun.

This sux. I'm really beginning to dread this time of year.

Edit: I just looked at a calendar. At least Christmas gives us a three day weekend this year. Also, there's that new Sherlock Holmes movie that doesn't look like total fail. Furthermore, I'm getting a raise that will kick in right about that time. I'm just trying to see the bright side, and I'm usually not a bright side person. I usually say the glass is half full, but the liquid inside is poison, and it tastes like shit.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • When you have a child the holidays will be very fun and exciting again!
  • I really enjoy the holidays, I like the decorations, I like the rituals (minus church, more like decorating, home-made cookies, parties, and the good holiday movies). I feel like it is something that people grow out of, though. My mom didn't even want to decorate this year, but considering I do most of it, she didn't really have a choice.
  • Does anyone else have the holiday depressions or is it just me?
    No depressions, but they're arbitrary enough that I have nothing more than lingering nostalgia for them. I happen to do things with family and friends on the big ones, just because everyone else expects to, but I would much rather have such gatherings at other times. The traffic and chaos of traveling over the holidays is maddening.
    I think it should be government mandated. Every full-time employee, period, must get at minimum 30 days of unpaid leave, unlimited sick time (if legitimately ill), appropriate amounts of time for mourning, maternity, paternity, etc., every federal holiday, And the final two weeks of December off. Obviously exceptions need to be made for essential jobs, can't have firemen and police not working just because it's a holiday, but those people who do work holidays must have the days compensated for.
    One problem is that historically, places with similar worker protections have had serious economic trouble as a result. We've never figured out a way to make it work. Maybe we should do a show on this topic. ^_~
  • edited December 2009
    I love the holidays when I am in my country. There is nothing like Christmas and New Year during summer. I like snow and all that but I preffer waiting for the new year while partying near the beach on a nice summer night. I enjoy putting holiday decorations but putting them almost a month in advance it is still weird to me, remember that I have lived in the states for the last 9 years, I just can't get used to it. I guess I love the holiday season mostly because of my childhood memories and because the holiday season in Perú was during summer vacation :P
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • I really liked when I was in college and got a lot of time off. I just feel stressed all the time, because I get a pretty average amount of vacation. Between the days I have to take off for things like moving, and sick days, I really can't take any big stretch of time. Basically, if I budget, I can take a one week vacation every year around my birthday or the holidays. All my other vacations are long weekends. This makes me long for the holiday season because I know I can take my vacation with a few extra state mandated days.

The thing that I like about it is that it is a scheduled time for family gatherings. I have a large extended family, so it becomes like a big yearly party. If I didn't have that group, (family for Christmas, FRC for New Years) I would be pretty apathetic about the whole thing. I like festivals, but Christmas in particular is so commercial and manic that people have nervous breakdowns all the time because of the stress. I think that it should never get to the point where a thing that is supposed to be fun and relaxing becomes this major headache to prepare for. I get so sick of the poppy carols on the radio, but simple decorations and lights are pretty - It feels like any other winter festival. (Blow up Santas can die in a fire, though.) I think these sort of traditions are okay, because they lend a different feeling to the passage of seasonal time, but I am so overwhelmed by Black Friday craziness and the "culture war" arguments that I can't enjoy it.

I agree with Scott about the gift thing. It's strange, but I care less about material goods during holidays (Christmas Presents, Halloween Candy) and more about the experience. If we did the same thing on midsummer, and lit up little candles, and had a big feast, that would be sufficient to make me happy. I want to celebrate all the seasons. Maybe I'll become a new-age fake pagan and invent some made up solstice nature holidays. (Provided they have big gatherings and cookies)
  • Maybe I'll become a new-age fake pagan and invent some made up solstice nature holidays.
    A Festivus for the rest of us, if you will.
  • I still get excited for the holidays. My mother decorates the house beautifully, we enjoy great meals, music, conversation, we make memories, continue traditions and make new traditions. It is like a family visit (which I always love) on steroids.
  • edited December 2009
    Gomi, I really agree with you about the long, school-type vacation. Those were so nice and restful. By the time they were over, a person really felt rested enough to go back to work. A week long vacation and a few long weekends just aren't the same.

I also agree with you about the material things. I don't mind buying for anyone else, but when I receive something, I'm really embarassed. Also, I honestly can't think of anything that I want that would be within reason for a gift. I mean, sure . . . I'd like a Rolex, but I'd be a real jerk if I asked for something like that as a gift. Also, the desire I have for a Rolex is vastly overwhelmed by the desire I have to just have some peace and quiet. So, I'll probably receive something I don't even really want, which will make me feel guilty both because it's yet another material posession, and because I don't feel sufficiently grateful for it.

Did I say that I would kill the people responsible for Feliz Navidad? Are there any other Christmas songs in particular that you can't stand to listen to yet another time? I liked Happy Christmas (War Is Over) the first time I heard it - IN 1971!!!, but it became old somewhere around the 1,289th time I heard it. It has been played to death. Please, can't we get through this season without playing that song a hundred times?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Emi, we could just start celebrating Midsummer's Eve in the U.S.
    We should make it a new FRC tradition.
  • Does the Internet have a birthday? We think should start celebrating that.
  • Christmas a great as a kid. When I was a teen the wonder was wearing off and as an adult it became a bit annoying. Even when the annoying things happened it wasn't that bad because they were constants and traditions. Mom would over decorate the house so that it looked gaudy, ugly or in my words "Santa threw up in our living room." The whole family would have a feast and we would gather at one of the bigger houses. I would always get gifts that I didn't like because no one knew I haven't liked X since I was 13 or X at all. But it was all okay. Some years we would do something different like the seafood barbecue we had one year.

This year there wont be a usual Christmas. Not like the ones I used to know. Since it's supposedly not scripture so there wont be any usual Christmas. Like the gifts wont be wrapped and I think no decor and stuff. Christan or not it makes me a bit sad. But of course when I speak up the general consensus is 'Why do you care. You're not a believer.'

I'm just sad it wont be the same with my family. I want to spend Christmas with them, but I'll be sorta depressed.

Also, working in retail during the holidays is hell. Add the fact that it's in Pier 1 and I have been surrounded by Christmas since before Halloween. Music and all!
  • Does the Internet have a birthday? We think should start celebrating that.
    September 2nd 1969. I think people celebrate it on the internet.
  • I likedHappy Christmas (War Is Over)the first time I heard it - IN 1971!!!, but it became old somewhere around the 1,289th time I heard it. It has been played to death. Please, can't we get through this season without playing that song a hundred times?
    That and "Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time" are the only christmas songs I can even stand anymore.
  • Despite being a godless heathen, I prefer to the hymnal Christmas carols to the pop secular ones they play on the radio. I dislike Frosty the Snowman and his kin, but the old English Carols like "The Holly and the Ivy" and "God Bless ye Merry Gentlemen" are pretty nice. Many times they are in a minor key, and sound very medieval.
  • I enjoy the campy music, but obviously the classic christmas carols and The Messiah are better by far.
    I do enjoy some of the campy Christmas music as well, though. It is fun and silly.
  • I don't really enjoy Christmas, mostly because it's either spent alone (this year, last year in the O'Hare Airport) or with religious family (old-school Italian Catholics). I enjoy Thanksgiving because my friends and I usually have a feast of our own. But, oh mans, we're starting to celebrate Saturnalia this year, and it's going to be AWESOME.
  • I am looking forward to having a kid and enjoying Chrismukkah with him/her!
  • And Evil Icelandic Elves.
  • And Evil Icelandic Elves.
    You know it!
  • Oddly enough, there is a misconception that we Buddhists don't celebrate Christmas. Consider that both Buddha and Santa are jolly fat men and it makes sense!
  • Consider that both Buddha and Santa are jolly fat men and it makes sense!
    I thought Buddha looks like this:
    And that the fat guy was one of the seven lucky Gods.