This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Which Anime should I watch next?

2»

Comments

• If I hadn't already watched the show from a torrent, I'd definitely be watching it on YouTube. Given the choice of a legal option, I'll take it, but such options are far more limited here in Australia.
  • So, I am going to finish Durarara in the next day or two. I need something I can watch on Crunchyroll, Hulu or Redbox. Any suggestions?
  • Boku no Battle Black.
  • So, I am going to finish Durarara in the next day or two. I need something I can watch on Crunchyroll, Hulu or Redbox. Any suggestions?
    TTGL if you haven't seen it yet.
  • What is TTGL? What is it about?
  • Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. It's about awesome and manliness with giant robots more giant than you're ever imagined.
  • edited September 2010
    Stands for Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. It is about MEN. Doing MANLY THINGS. Like having ROBOTS PUNCH EACH OTHER. IN THE FACE. WITH DRILLS. FUCK YEAH. [EDIT: Annnnd that's what I get for leaving my post box open for too long and then coming back to it. *shakes fist at Ruffas*]

And it also has pretty well-done characters, an appealing art style, a great sense of fun, two pretty cool and interesting story arcs, a solid pair of balls (see: episode 8), and an ending that'll leave you with a great feeling of awesome for a long time to come. I'd especially recommend the show if you're not already heavily familiar with older super robot anime. It's still a pretty good show if you are (especially as a super robot tribute show, in that case), but it's a better show if you aren't. The tropes and such will seem a lot fresher to you, and you'll be able to appreciate the show on its own merits rather than constantly comparing it to stuff that came before. The show is on Hulu if you're interested: http://www.hulu.com/gurren-lagann

As for other recs: if you haven't seen Baccano! yet, then go to that one next. Same author, production staff, and director as Durarara!!, and I personally prefer it between the two shows. Also, the first season of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (aka: When They Cry) is available streaming from Funimation. It seems like just a moe show at first, but you quickly become aware that that's not the case. The first season is a pretty well-done, creepy, and entertaining horror/mystery. Second season and the OVA aren't available legally, but you can just watch the first season and still be pretty satisfied. The second season wasn't quite as good overall anyway, even though it did wrap up all the story threads.

I would recommend more, but frankly, I've been behind on my streaming anime as well. XD;; I'm currently on Tatami Galaxy myself, which I think is pretty great and inventive so far, but it's definitely not going to be everyone's cup of tea.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • I always find this question to be weird. i have never asked myself this question ever and have no idea how an anime fan could run out of stuff to watch.
    Baccano! if you want to be hip and cool
    everything from Mamoru Oshii, Studio Ghibli ,and Satoshi Kon
    Haibane-Renmei because you haven't seen it.
    Tekkonkinkreet because no one has seen it and it has some of the best animation of any film.
  • \Haibane-Renmei because you haven't seen it.
    Haibane Renmei is my favorite Yoshitoshi Abe show.
  • It is worth mentioning that Gurren Lagann's first transformation sequence is THE BEST transformation sequence I've ever seen.
  • It is worth mentioning that Gurren Lagann's first transformation sequence is THE BEST transformation sequence I've ever seen.
    After watching TTGL, other transformations no longer exist for me. I have no sons.
  • Is it possible that I could be a giant transforming robot and not know it?
  • Is it possible that I could be a giant transforming robot and not know it?
    Possible, maybe. But there's no way you could be nearly as awesome as Gurren Lagann without knowing it. That's just not possible.
  • edited September 2010
    GETTER TIM.
    Is it possible that I could be a giant transforming robot and not know it?
    Possible, maybe. But there's no way you could be nearly as awesome as Gurren Lagann without knowing it. That's just not possible.
    This is a fact. Gurren Lagann is so awesome that it actually distorts reality. That's not a joke, that how the show works.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited September 2010
    That's not a joke, that's how the show works.
    Who the hell do you think we are?!
    Post edited by Ruffas on
    I agree. his artwork is absolutly amazing. My first AB i spent the better part of an hour seeking out a raka wall-scroll. so worth it.
    I agree. his artwork is absolutly amazing. My first AB i spent the better part of an hour seeking out a raka wall-scroll. so worth it.
    I hope it wasn't the wrong kind of wall scroll. You know the ones I'm talking about.
  • If you want a relaxing series with some good writing I would totally recomend "Bartender". If only because of the awesome drinks :P
  • edited September 2010
    It's not one of toughs wall-scrolls. see...
    Post edited by beebzz on
  • I always find this question to be weird. i have never asked myself this question ever and have no idea how an anime fan could run out of stuff to watch
    Maybe because we don't intuitively know every Japanese animated show that has ever been produced that is also worth watching, and would like to hear recommendations from other fans. There's nothing weird about that.

I've already watched nearly everything on your list. Let's say I finish it off, and then I'm not sure what to watch after that. I might ask another fan what they'd suggest. That doesn't mean I've run out of things to watch, it means I want to make sure that what I watch next is good.
    If you want a relaxing series with some good writing I would totally recomend "Bartender". If only because of the awesome drinks :P
    That show is hilarious.
  • This thread has finally morphed into what I originally intended. If you want to know what I mean, look at the earliest posts.
  • edited September 2010
    Sorry, I've just never run out and had to ask myself that. theirs just so much anime that i have to watch. But if I'm alone on this then i guess that makes me the weird one.
    Post edited by beebzz on
  • I think you misunderstand here. It's not that a person "runs out" of anime, per se. It's that they're lost in the endless sea of anime and feeling overwhelmed by choice. They end up saying to themselves, "Oh god. There's so many of them. o_o What the hell show do I go to next? What are all these? Which ones are good? How do I choose? Jesus. Somebody help!" I know I've been there before, anyway, so that's my take on the question.
  • I think you misunderstand here. It's not that a person "runs out" of anime, per se. It's that they're lost in the endless sea of anime and feeling overwhelmed by choice. They end up saying to themselves, "Oh god. There's so many of them. o_o What the hell show do I go to next? Whatareall these? Which ones are good? How do I choose? Jesus. Somebody help!" I know I've been there before, anyway, so that's my take on the question.
    Now that i think about it i do ask myself what kind of anime do i want to watch.
  • I think you misunderstand here. It's not that a person "runs out" of anime, per se. It's that they're lost in the endless sea of anime and feeling overwhelmed by choice. They end up saying to themselves, "Oh god. There's so many of them. o_o What the hell show do I go to next? Whatareall these? Which ones are good? How do I choose? Jesus. Somebody help!" I know I've been there before, anyway, so that's my take on the question.
    Just like the vidya gaems.
  • True, true. Same can be said for most media.