This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Need tech help on synching multiple computers

edited December 2009 in Technology
I have a laptop for work and a desktop at home. Is there an easy way to transfer large amounts of data between the two? I am currently using USB sticks and external hard drives for large file transfers but its not too convenient. Is there a way to, say, directly connect the two with some sort of USB connection to directly pull and copy files from one to the other?

Also, when I want to work on something at home on my desktop I am e-mailing it to myself from work to pull it up at home. Then I have to e-mail it back so I can get the updated version back at work. I would also like to save files from one computer and be able to pull it up from the other without have to transfer them. Is there an easier way to do this? Many of the things I do aren't simple word documents and I cant leave the computer on while i'm away. I remember at my undergrad we had some sort of "folder" we could access that behaved like a partitioned hard drive segment referred to as a "spacemounter". Anything we put in it we could access from any other computer on campus by logging in. Something similar to this would be perfect.

Comments

• Is there a way to, say, directly connect the two with some sort of USB connection to directly pull and copy files from one to the other?
    Yes, there are ways to do this, but it's generally better to connect both via a router.
    I remember at my undergrad we had some sort of "folder" we could access that behaved like a partitioned hard drive segment referred to as a "spacemounter". Anything we put in it we could access from any other computer on campus by logging in. Something similar to this would be perfect.
    1) Google Docs
    2) SSH
  • Yes, there are ways to do this, but it's generally better to connect both via a router.
    I live in an apartment complex where the internet is provided and I dont have access to the router.
  • I live in an apartment complex where the internet is provided and I dont have access to the router.
    That doesn't stop you from having your own router.
  • That doesn't stop you from having your own router.
    Good point, I'll look into it. Before I start buying stuff though, how fast are the transfers? Will the speed be based on the internet connection?

SSH seems a little too complicated and google docs arent convenient enough.
  • No, a local network will generally either be 100Mbit or 1 Gigabit, depending on the specifications of the router and the computers' network cards.
  • I have a laptop that generally sits in one place and a tablet pc that I use for taking notes in class. Though it's faster to sync over a router or through some hardware medium, I have fallen madly in love with Live Mesh, which basically lets you sync files across multiple computers in addition to uploading said files to the cloud. It's best features include being able to share folders with multiple people, and automatically detecting changes in a folder and uploading files as they're edited.
  • This is the easiest solution for non-technical people.
    https://www.dropbox.com/
  • Perfect, thanks
  • This is the easiest solution for non-technical people.
    https://www.dropbox.com/
    Oh My God YES! Drop box has made syncing my "stay-at-home" laptop with my netbook so much easier. Especially since I use MS OneNote.