This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The (evil, evil) Gun Thread

edited December 2009 in Everything Else
So what with all the discussion on this topic in other threads, I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread with all this shootytastic fun in.

Firstly it seems really strange that fact that you can purchase a handgun with minimal checks on you mental health . Secondly, what is up with the second amendment xIpLd0WQKCY

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Yeah, definitely move the fight over here, dudes. We kind of derailed the Fail of the Day.

In any case, I've already said my bit. I'm not arguing that I do not need target training with guns, but I think the fact that Kate wouldn't come over anymore if I had a rifle is weird, because there are other things that I own and do that are also martial in their origin. She insists that it is different because it is a more powerful weapon. I argue that it is still just an inanimate object that if owned by a smart, responsible person is not to be feared. Handled carefully, in the proper setting, but not feared. That's the summary.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited December 2009
    The other argument wasn't really about gun laws, just how they are different or worse than any other thing that can kill you.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited December 2009
    Yeah, definitely move the fight over here, dudes. We kind of derailed the Fail of the Day.

In any case, I've already said my bit. I'm not arguing that I do not need target training with guns, but I think the fact that Kate wouldn't come over anymore if I had a rifle is weird, because there are other things that I own and do that are also martial in their origin.
    It isn't that it is "martial" in its origin. It is that a gun poses an obvious, extremely deadly threat (in anyone's hands) and I do not condone their use. Intruders could utilize it, an accident could happen, etc.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited December 2009
    And I argue that if it is sitting in a box in the closet, locked up, it will not hurt you.

It is that a sword poses an obvious, extremely deadly threat (in anyone's hands) and I do not condone their use. Intruders could utilize it, an accident could happen, etc.
  • edited December 2009
    It is that a gun poses an obvious, extremely deadly threat (in anyone's hands) and I do not condone their use.
    I disagree with this statement. A gun DOES NOT pose a health risk in the hands of a mature, responsible gun owner (which most are).
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • We kind of derailed the Fail of the Day.
    That happens a lot in that thread.

However, I'll just point out some past threads similar to the subject.
  • I changed the title of the thread to reflect the discussion more accurately.
  • I believe we left off with rolling over and submitting to an attacker. Go.
  • Moreover, in those situations the owners of the gun are more likely to be injured by their own gun.
    wut
  • edited December 2009
    I like HST's approach to firearms. Collect until you have a big shed full of them. Once you own all the guns you could desire, move onto crowd dispersal and melee items.
    Moreover, in those situations the owners of the gun are more likely to be injured by their own gun.
    wut
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • It is that a gun poses an obvious, extremely deadly threat (in anyone's hands) and I do not condone their use.
    I disagree with this statement. A gun DOES NOT pose a health risk in the hands of a mature, responsible gun owner (which most are).
    There is no guarantee that that responsible gun owner will be the one weilding it or that they will be constantly acting in a mature way when utilizing it.

As for your sword, Emi, I am lot more likely to survive a sword wound than a gun shot and I would take my chances with a sword over a gun any day.
  • Why, you want to kill someone over some TV?
    What if they don't want the TV? What if they want to rape you?
  • edited December 2009
    I would take my chances with a sword over a gun any day
    Even a Samurai sword?
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • edited December 2009
    There is no guarantee that that responsible gun owner will be the one weilding it or that they will be constantly acting in a mature way when utilizing it.
    Oh come on, this is bordering on willful irrationality or ignorance. You are making the same styles of arguments that abstinence only proponents make.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • There is no guarantee that that responsible gun owner will be the one weilding it or that they will be constantly acting in a mature way when utilizing it.
    And there's no guarantee that the most of the people we give driver's licenses to are qualified to operate a car. Make a different point.
  • There is no guarantee that that responsible gun owner will be the one weilding it or that they will be constantly acting in a mature way when utilizing it.
    This applies to anything that has the potential to cause harm, gun or not.
  • edited December 2009
    Why, you want to kill someone over some TV?
    What if they don't want the TV? What if they want to rape you?
    I would rather be raped than die. In a gun battle, even if I were trained, the likelihood of death is much higher if there are two guns than if there is only one.
    Moreover, if there was effective gun control in place, the attacker would not likely have a gun, thus making escape or grappling him/her to the ground far more likely.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited December 2009
    This applies to anything that has the potential to cause harm, gun or not.
    Exactly my point with the sword. Sure, guns have an edge over swords with regard to efficacy, but both can fuck you up. However, the will not fuck you up if owned by us.
  • edited December 2009
    I would rather be raped than die. In a gun battle, even if I were trained, the likelihood of death is much higher if there are two guns than if there is only one.
    But would you rather be raped than kill someone else? What if they're going to rape you and then kill you? Will you stand up for your right to live?
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Moreover, if there was effective gun control in place, the attacker would not likely have a gun
    Back that statement up. Does stricter gun control lead to less gun crime?
  • Moreover, if there was effective gun control in place, the attacker would not likely have a gun
    Back that statement up. Does stricter gun control lead to less gun crime?
    Isn't there a saying that goes something like "If guns were outlawed, then only outlaws would have guns"?
  • Really, where are you getting this data?
    Many states require a demonstration of proficiency before issuing a handgun license or concealed carry permit. Hunting safety courses (mandatory in many states if you want to hunt) also involve a substantial amount of training.
    Just because someone can use a gun "safely" (though I think there is rarely such a thing) doesn't mean they will nor does it mean their guns won't end up in the hands of someone that won't. Even with training, there are tons of gun deaths. Training and current laws simply aren't enough. Also, just because someone can legal get a gun doesn't mean I want them having them (or anyone really).
    Wow. Just wow. You're irrationally biased against gun ownership. The whole "it COULD be used for violence" line applies to absolutely anything that could cause any kind of harm, not just guns. That's the sort of logic that helicopter parents use to keep kids from playing dodgeball in gym class.
  • There are so many assumptions in this thread that are based on nothing or flat out wrong that I cannot even begin to participate in this debate. People who want to hurt other people are going to find a way to do it, with or without guns. People who don't care about laws will get guns illegally if they are outlawed. Strict gun control will keep honest people from owning guns; lots of gun crimes are not committed by the legal owners of the gun used. You can die just as easily from a knife wound as from a gunshot. There are relatively few instances of a gun being taken away from its owner and used against him/her, and the same thing applies to ANYTHING ELSE you attempt to defend yourself with other than your own body.

These arguments are for pacifism, not for gun control. If you want to be a pacifist, that's fine. Don't dress it up as an argument against guns when the things you are saying about guns apply to a bunch of other things as well.
  • I don't understand why this argument is even happening, guns are soooo lame. Knives are where it's at:
  • edited December 2009
    Copypasted from fail of your day -
    4) A chef's knife couldn't maim someone from feet away unless you are an incredibly skilled knife thrower or beat very high odds.
    It's easier than you think - I'm only an average thrower if you feel like being charitable with your descriptions, and I've taken a rabbit going at full run with a throwing blade. A human size target, with a chef's knife? I'm obviously not going to test it, but I'm pretty sure I could hit well enough to at least maim 8 times out of Ten.
    Hell, my sister, who has thrown a knife not more than twice in her life, has a good chance of hitting a person sized target well enough to cause considerable harm.

Also, I suggest taking up knife throwing. It's fun, and a cheap hobby to participate in.
    I would be willing to compromise on single shot rifles for hunting.
    No, you get no compromises.
    My apologies, but I must agree. There can be No compromise on gun control. Accept a reasonable level of control with mostly freedom for the gun owners, or ban them all. Your compromise is meaningless - given a good rifle and the correct ammunition, I have the proven ability to hit a man sized target with deadly force out to 2500 yards from a cold bore. It doesn't matter that I only have one shot, because I only need one at a time, and I can always reload. If you're willing to compromise despite this, then it makes your entire argument into a pointless farce. There is no "I'm willing to eliminate all guns but a very specific sort" - it is an all or none proposition from the position you argue.
    Both trianed and untrained, legal and illegal gun users can and do kill and injure others.
    As has been said before, Trained and insufficiently trained drivers kill and injure others with far greater frequency. It's also far easier for someone to obtain a car - you don't even need a license, background check or waiting period - and far easier for an under-trained, over confident person to kill or injure others with a car than a firearm.
    So unless you're lobbying to get rid of cars first, then you are essentially arguing from a position where human life is meaningless. What a Firearm was designed to do isn't relevant, what you do with it is.
    Pens are designed to write, but that is irrelevant to the fact that one lodged in someone's clavicular notch is probably going to kill them without prompt medical assistance, and if you lodge one in someone's head, then it's unlikely that medical attention will help them at all.
    Of course knife crime and other violent crime is still possible, but it is a lot easier to defend oneself against a knife than a gun. A knife is not nearly as effective at range, and it is a lot harder to use a knife in a crime of passion.
    About the only statement in this that is even vaguely correct is that Knife crime and other violent crime are still possible, though it ignores the fact that as the UK proves, in a nearly firearm free environment, they simply become more common of an implement used in violent crime.

It's actually quite hard to defend yourself against a knife. You can't control a knife someone else is holding nearly as easily, and just about any attempt to do so without very serious training in almost guaranteed to get you seriously injured, and even then, it can get very dicey - Pardon me to again speak from experience, but I'm a very well trained martial artist, and the last time a knife was pulled on me, even though I survived, and by any standard won the fight, I still have a 3 1/2 inch scar on my hip from where I was stabbed for my trouble. Also, for the sake of completeness, It's hard to armor yourself against a knife - Armor that will stop a bullet won't stop a knife - in fact, given the level of strength available to an average person, you can put a knife through a car door.

As for a knife being harder to use in a crime of passion, you know that's horseshit. A crime of passion is most commonly performed with an object that is close to hand and easiest to obtain and far, far more crimes of passion are committed with either a knife or more commonly, a blunt object. On top of that, only about a quarter of the people in the US own guns - Unless you're suggesting that gun owners are more prone to crimes of passion, then the numbers simply don't add up to support that argument.
    Just because someone can use a gun "safely" (though I think there is rarely such a thing)
    Then you're either being foolish, or you believe that guns are some fearsome voodoo magic objects that perform actions on their own. Any object is only as safe as the person interacting with it. People are stabbed on purpose far more often than they are shot on purpose, but you don't want to ban knives. People are run over on purpose and by accident far more often than they are shot - on purpose or by accident - but you don't want to ban those.
    What something is designed to do is irrelevant, it's what it ends up being used for.
    For a few examples, The Internet started out intending to be a distributed communications and data storage network for the army, for example. Dynamite was intended for use in Mining and other such harmless activities. Rockets were invented as weapons, and now, they also take us into space.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • You can easily disable a knife someone is wielding against you...if you are willing to sacrifice a hand. Other than that, it takes considerable skill to disable a knife without serious injury. I am way more scared of knives than of guns, and particularly of small knives. Small knives are a BITCH. I would fight a guy with a big knife over a guy with a small knife any day.
  • You can easily disable a knife someone is wielding against you...if you are willing to sacrifice a hand. Other than that, it takes considerable skill to disable a knife without serious injury. I am way more scared of knives than of guns, and particularly of small knives. Small knives are a BITCH. I would fight a guy with a big knife over a guy with a small knife any day.
    I hear that. If I get in a fight and someone has an Xacto knife, I am running/driving away immediately.
  • You can easily disable a knife someone is wielding against you...if you are willing to sacrifice a hand. Other than that, it takes considerable skill to disable a knife without serious injury.
    This is true, I should have noted that. My apologies.
  • My father had a little pistol. It might have been a .38, but I don't remember. He was not a diligent gun owner and he didn't really take it seriously, but he had it for "protection".

When I was young and at one of my lowest points, I was going to use that pistol to kill myself. I was looking down the barrel and I was getting ready to do it. The lights were on and I could see the bullets in the chambers. But then, I realized that I could also see cobwebs in the chambers and the barrel. Now, for the die-hard geeks, I understand that they probably weren't actually little spiderwebs and that they were probably just bits of dust held together by static electricity or some shit, The point was that the pistol was horribly, laughably un-clean. I didn't know if Dad even had a cleaning kit.

So I was sitting there, looking down the barrel of this unclean pistol, and I realized that if I pulled the trigger, the pistol would most likely just blow up in my hand, and I would still be alive, but with a ruined hand.

So I owe my life (or at least my right hand) to bad gun ownership habits.
  • Whew, creepy and sad story, Joe.

I'd like to point out that if your Dad had had good gun ownership habits, you wouldn't have been able to get ahold of the gun and ammunition in the first place.