This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Online Personal Database Thing?

edited December 2009 in Everything Else
I recall hearing, forever ago, some mention of a website where you can list out your entire collection of books, movies, who you've loaned stuff to, etc, but can't remember it or find it after digging through the archives for awhile.
Does anyone know what I'm talking about and able to point me in the right direction?
Thanks.

Comments

• edited December 2009
    You know, I don't know if I will ever do listal, because while it appeals to my organize-y nature, it seems like a big time sink. This is an electronic version of what I do when I procrastinate.

"Well, I really should work on that animation," I say. "But whenever I sit down at my desk, I just get the darnedest urge to alphabetize and categorize all my books."
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • It's only a time sink at the beginning. After that, you just input things whenever you buy/read/watch them.
  • I would love to do this, but there is no way I would have the time to enter all my stuff, especially my movies and books. It's a great idea though.
  • edited December 2009
    I would love to do this, but there is no way I would have the time to enter all my stuff, especially my movies and books. It's a great idea though.
    Just forget about the backlog. Don't look at your shelves. Just enter anything new that you buy or consume. If you own something, you will eventually read or watch it again, and then you'll enter it. Also, add things to your want list, so you don't forget them.

If you are OCD, and need to fill in the whole thing perfectly all at once, just forget it.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Or you can be like me and remember the site every 3 or 4 months and struggle to fill in the stuff you got in the meantime.
  • One big use would be to easily see who in your group hasn't read/seen a particular piece of media. ^_~
  • One big use would be to easily see who in your group hasn't read/seen a particular piece of media. ^_~
    Also, keeping track of borrowing and selling of things.

As for Scojo's problem, the key is to have a new media pile. Whenever I get new stuff, I put it in a pile on my desk. Then I enter it before I shelve it. I also keep my unread comics in a pile that is unshelved.
  • This does seem rather useful. I already keep several lists at home to remind myself of what I still have yet to play/watch, and other ones online to remind myself of what I want to get later. At the same time, I don't really know if I need yet another. I already have my lists, and as far as I can tell, I'm the only person who really seems to care about what I do, so the group aspect doesn't hold much for me. Ratings and recommendations also do little for me for anything beyond movies, and I already have Netflix for that. So, useful as it may be, I already have a system in place, and it works fine for me.
  • edited December 2009
    As for Scojo's problem, the key is to have a new media pile. Whenever I get new stuff, I put it in a pile on my desk. Then I enter it before I shelve it. I also keep my unread comics in a pile that is unshelved.
    I should really do this. I shelve new or only partly completed things out of a compulsion for organized information, and then often forget about them, which is why I have many unfinished books and vidya games. I put Viewtiful Joe on the shelf years ago when I was almost finished (read: last part of the game), and I still haven't completed it...
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Actually, It would be a good time for me to start that now, considering that I'm living on very little, just two bags and two boxes.
  • Does listal support barcode scanners?