This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

MS Cure?

edited December 2009 in Technology
An Italian doctor has been getting dramatic results with a new type of treatment for Multiple Sclerosis, or MS, which affects up to 2.5 million people worldwide. In an initial study, Dr. Paolo Zamboni took 65 patients with relapsing-remitting MS, performed a simple operation to unblock restricted bloodflow out of the brain - and two years after the surgery, 73% of the patients had no symptoms. Dr. Zamboni's thinking could turn the current understanding of MS on its head, and offer many sufferers a complete cure.
Italian doctor may have found surprisingly simple cure for Multiple Sclerosis
A friend of mine who suffers with MS clued me into this today. He also pointed out that the MS "funding" groups are not very happy about this. No big surprise there since many of the disease research groups appear to be more interested in finding treatments than finding cures.

JmtLOQKeDs8

Comments

• Well, it doesn't fix the existing damage, but it seems like it can stop further damage.

That is really, really, really cool and interesting. I'll have to read the paper that's coming out in January to see what this is all about.
  • Whatever it is, it's best to assume it's fake until proven otherwise.
  • Whatever it is, it's best to assume it's fake until proven otherwise.
    Well, that was my reaction as well, but they sound pretty legitimate. A quote from the guys supporting the research:
    "We can't give the illusion to patients that this is a guaranteed treatment and it is easy. This is not right. And we have never done this," says Hilarescere President Fabio Roversi-Monaco. "We don't say this is a cure for M.S. We only say that research is advancing, and there is encouraging data but we are waiting for more conclusions."
    So they're saying, "This looks promising and we're investigating."

I have a coworker who suffers from MS, and she informed me that a few people at Albany Medical are looking at getting involved with this.

As always, I reserve judgment until I see a paper, but this seems interesting and promising.