This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

A Podcasting Experiment

edited December 2009 in Technology
I've recorded a couple of short clips of me reading a paragraph of Dave Meltzer's Wrestling Observer Newsletter as an first step toward possibly attempting a podcast. I'd very much appreciate any feedback anyone can give me to improve, as I no doubt did a horrible job on my first try.
They are posted here

Comments

• Wait... you want us to listen to reading something written by someone else abouta topic we don't care about? And you're telling us you did a horrible job?

No thanks!

Tips to improve: work on your marketing and hype-creation skills.
  • This was my first attempt at seriously recording anything. If you would much rather I try reading something else, as long as it doesn't have curses, I'd be willing to take a shot. Right now I'm more focused on how I sounded, whether I breathed too loudly or not, things like that. The files are 19 and 20 seconds apiece, so even if I am as bad as I said, it's far from a major sacrifice to stream them. I'm not going to hype myself up as the next great podcaster because I know I'm not. I'm just starting. Of course, if I were to release a real podcast, I'd be much more confident because I wouldn't release a podcast that sucks. This is practice to me. I apologize if I'm rambling, and I would still appreciate feedback, but perhaps feedback on my actual recording, not the text about it. Thanks in advance.
  • whether I breathed too loudly or not, things like that.
    Well, that can always be fixed by moving away from the mic to breathe in.
  • whether I breathed too loudly or not, things like that.
    Well, that can always be fixed by moving away from the mic to breathe in.
    So then, if I'm reading something again, let's say, I move the mic away, breathe, and then put it back, then delete some of the silence? Or would it be better to leave it in so I don't have unnaturally short pauses between things?
  • I move the mic away, breathe,
  • I would think removing my headphones to breathe would make a great deal more noise, no? ;)
  • The files are 19 and 20 seconds apiece, so even if I am as bad as I said, it's far from a major sacrifice to stream them.
    See, if you'd have mentioned this in the original post I'd have given them a listen this afternoon while I had a non-satellite internet connection.
  • The files are 19 and 20 seconds apiece, so even if I am as bad as I said, it's far from a major sacrifice to stream them.
    See, if you'd have mentioned this in the original post I'd have given them a listen this afternoon while I had a non-satellite internet connection.
    My bad on that. In the future I will be sure to note the length of my examples and/or podcasts.
  • I don't mean to be a pain, but has no one actually listened to the files?
    I just did. You need to enunciate a lot more than you are, I can barely understand what you're saying your words are strung so closely together.
    I just did. You need to enunciate a lot more than you are, I can barely understand what you're saying your words are strung so closely together.
    Thank you, I'll try to work on that.
  • So, after much delay, I have recorded an actual podcast! It is not perfect, I am using Audacity, so it was kinda of hard to get at the "ums" and "ahs" and once or twice you hear my chair creak, but overall I think I did an okay job. I'm certainly no Scyrm. It's a quick review of the failed James Bond game from last year, 007 Bloodstone. It's 14:15 in length. I tried to be brief, though there are some moments where I suffer a brain fart.
    you can download it here in the format of your choice
    Please let me know what you think. I would love feedback so that I can try to improve within my current limitations, and hopefully beyond that when I have a proper microphone.
  • edited July 2011
    as long as it doesn't have curses
    I know they've toned it down significantly, but does anybody else find it strange that someone likes wrestling but doesn't like cursing?
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • as long as it doesn't have curses
    I know they've toned it down significantly, but does anybody else find it strange that someone likes wrestling but doesn't like cursing?
    My mom hardwired it into me to not swear when I was young. It's finally beginning to almost crack due to various frustrations, but for now, no cursing.
  • When I read the name of this thread, I was thinking something like an audio experiment of some musical kind of variety (although it wasn't in music/art), so then I was thinking it might be some kind of audio generating toy/software.

Perhaps saying this is a "Podcasting" experiment would be more clear to the audience at large.
  • When I read the name of this thread, I was thinking something like an audio experiment of some musical kind of variety (although it wasn't in music/art), so then I was thinking it might be some kind of audio generating toy/software.

Perhaps saying this is a "Podcasting" experiment would be more clear to the audience at large.
    Done. I apologize for the confusion.