This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

It Bears Repeating

edited December 2009 in Everything Else
Don't fucking drink raw milk.

I like the little sidebar in the article:
• Homeopathic advocates say raw milk has health benefits missing from pasteurized milk. But public health agencies warn that raw milk can pose serious health risks.
Yeah, homeopathic advocates. Reliable experts, they are.

Comments

• Yeah, homeopathic advocates. Reliable experts, they are.
    Seems most of America agrees with you, since there have only been 1000+ cases in 7 years.

Switch to ultra pasterization, it's so tasty. ^_^
  • Switch to ultra pasterization, it's so tasty. ^_^
    And it lasts forever.

I wish we'd get some UHT milk in the US. It's effin' delicious, and you store it at room temperature.
  • I wish we'd get some UHT milk in the US. It's effin' delicious, and you store it at room temperature.
    We have UHT milk in the US. It's not as widely-distributed, but we've got it.
  • edited December 2009
    I wish we'd get some UHT milk in the US. It's effin' delicious, and you store it at room temperature.
    Stonefield does it. However, I've never heard of storing milk at room temperature. Milk goes bad quickly at room temperature, regardless of pasterization. Nevermind.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Milk goes bad quickly at room temperature, regardless of pasterization.
    That is not true at all. Horizon Organic produces shelf-stable milk in convenient boxes. There are also coffee creamers and similar products that are stable at room temperature. We test a wide range of shelf-stable milk products on a monthly basis to ensure sterility.
  • That is not true at all.Horizon Organicproduces shelf-stable milk in convenient boxes. There are also coffee creamers and similar products that are stable at room temperature. We test a wide range of shelf-stable milk products on a monthly basis to ensure sterility.
    Science is AWESOME.
  • We'll get the ultra-pasteurized milk when we get the irradiated beef.

Maybe we should open a competitor to the small chain markets like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, except we sell safe foods and not hipster foods. We just need enough food to stock one store, and we're good to go.

In our advertisements we can show that we have a 100% perfect health inspection record, and then show all the other stores being all nasty. We can also use fear-based marketing to scare people away from the competition. Whole foods has poop and disease in it, come to us instead.
  • edited December 2009
    We have UHT milk in the US. It's not as widely-distributed, but we've got it.
    DAMN. Gotta get me some of that for the dorm room.
    That is not true at all.
    This. I went to a giant market in Spain (Carrefour, if anyone cares), and they had an entire aisle (which, given the size of the store, was the size of a Home Depot aisle) devoted to shelf-stable milk and juice. At the very far end was the refridgerated section, which consisted of two tiny units packed with fresh milk and OJ, the type of standing fridges we use for cokes near the checkout lines here. They looked entirely unused. Big fans of UHT, the Spaniards.

I still love that milk.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited December 2009
    Science based food?

S.B. Edibles Incorporated. Since 2009.

Also: Going to have to try that UHT. Might be a cheap way to get through some of that milkshake powder.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Science based food?

S.B. Edibles Incorporated. Since 2009.
    We can also advertise foods that were made ultra-delicious using science. Liquid Nitrogren ice cream is a start.
  • We can also advertise foods that were made ultra-delicious using science. Liquid Nitrogren ice cream is a start.
    Don't forget carbonated fruit.
  • That is not true at all.Horizon Organicproduces shelf-stable milk in convenient boxes. There are also coffee creamers and similar products that are stable at room temperature. We test a wide range of shelf-stable milk products on a monthly basis to ensure sterility.
    Damn, corrected.
  • edited December 2009
    We'll get the ultra-pasteurized milk when we get the irradiated beef.
    We have both UHT milk and irradiated beef, just not a lot of it. The problem is that there simply isn't a great demand for shelf-stable milk, and it's more expensive. Irradiated beef is a separate issue altogether.
    and then show all the other stores being all nasty. We can also use fear-based marketing to scare people away from the competition. Whole foods has poop and disease in it, come to us instead.
    Hello libel suits!

Generally speaking, we in the food safety field (producers, regulators, advertisers, etc) take a non-competitive approach to food safety. That is, nobody advertises their food as being "safer" than someone else's food, because the problems with food safety can occur in any facility. We already have mechanisms in place to take care of problems, so companies don't compete on the basis of safety. That way, everybody wins.

Really, just open a natural market that has locally-produced food and no homeopathy or other snake oil, and I'd be very happy.

EDIT:
    Liquid Nitrogren ice cream is a start.
    Dippin' Dots are wicked gross.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Liquid Nitrogren ice cream is a start.
    wat
  • edited December 2009
    That is not true at all.Horizon Organicproduces shelf-stable milk in convenient boxes. There are also coffee creamers and similar products that are stable at room temperature. We test a wide range of shelf-stable milk products on a monthly basis to ensure sterility.
    I like Horizon. That's the kind I have on my cereal. It's Ultra-pasturized.
    We'll get the ultra-pasteurized milk when we get the irradiated beef.
    You can get it at the Duane Reade. You want?
    Maybe we should open a competitor to the small chain markets like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, except we sell safe foods and not hipster foods. We just need enough food to stock one store, and we're good to go.
    Like a natural market without the crud or homeopathy. Environmentally and health-conscious food based around Science. We can have local free-range meat and good tomatoes just like you get at the farmer's market, but not stupid-stupid fake medicine.

Edit:
    Really, just open a natural market that has locally-produced food and no homeopathy or other snake oil, and I'd be very happy.
    Yes! Exactly!
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Liquid Nitrogren ice cream is a start.
    wat
    Seriously. I don't know what that shit is, but it is NOT ice cream.
  • edited December 2009
    It's ice cream of the future.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • It's ice cream of thefuture.
    Because dots will obviously be the representative shape of the future.
  • It's ice cream of thefuture.
    Because dots will obviously be the representative shape of the future.
    Or because -29 degrees Celsius is the representative temperature of the future.
  • Dippin' Dots are wicked gross.
    wat
    Dippin' Dots are not necessarily gross, but they are pretty mediocre. Regular ol' carton ice cream is the bestest.
  • Dippin' Dots are not necessarily gross, but they are pretty mediocre. Regular ol' carton ice cream is the bestest.
    Carton ice cream can't be so readily mixed heterogeneously.
  • edited December 2009
    What the fuck? Are you an American or what? That sounds like something a commie liberal pinko gay would say. THESE COLORS DON'T RUN! ICE CREAM FLAVORS DON'T MIX (unless it's vanilla ice cream and orange sherbet).
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • After reading all the Dippin' Dots hate I realized how much I miss this forum.

Also the milk machine at our school is broken. It's a sad day. :(
  • After reading all the Dippin' Dots hate I realized how much I miss this forum.
    Miss? You're not exiled or anything; you're always welcome 'round these parts.

"Exiled." I like that. We should "exile" people instead of "ban" them.
  • edited December 2009
    What the fuck? Are you an American or what? That sounds like something a commie liberal pinko gay would say.
    We've got an ice cream for that.
    (unless it's vanilla ice cream and orange sherbet).
    And what the fuck? Try chocolate and peanut butter. GOOD DAY TO YOU, SIR!
    Post edited by Sail on
  • There is a restaurant near Georgia Tech Campus called Flip Burger Botique. They serve liquid nitrogen milkshakes.
    Here are the available flavors:
    nutella + burnt marshmallow
    krispy krème
    pumpkin pie
    spicy chocolate mole
    pistachio + white truffle
    key lime pie
    foie gras
    This is also a place that sells a $45 burger consisting of grade A5 imported japanese kobe, seared foie gras, truffle oil, b&b; pickles, and red wine syrup.
    Most of the burgers run around $10. It's some fucking good eats.
  • Miss? You're not exiled or anything; you're always welcome 'round these parts.

"Exiled." I like that. We should "exile" people instead of "ban" them.
    My college internet connection is terrible. RIP days of downloading music from itunes and procrastinating by playing bubble shooter.