This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Your Finest Accomplishments 2009

edited December 2009 in Everything Else
With the end of the year coming in just a few weeks, people tend to reminisce about what happened during the year. I want to do that too, and I think it is most fulfilling to look back on what I've done personally to advance myself. I guess you can think of this thread as a "booh yah of the year" for yourself. It might be a good way to be openly proud of something you did this year that others might not know about. So, being the starter of the thread, I will go first.

1) Getting a kick ass job during the immediate fall out from last year

This was really one of those "perfect time, perfect place" kind of deals. I graduated college in spring '08, and was set to help form a new startup out of the gate, but just a few months into it the whole thing fell apart, leaving me with nothing. After doing part-time game testing for several months, I was applying to various jobs in the area, and kept getting shut down at the phone screen. One place did finally give me a face-to-face interview, but that also didn't pan out. And then in January of this year, I got word back on a job I'd applied to months before, and they completely skipped the phone screen straight to the interview. I went in, completely rocked it, and got the offer the very next day, a much better offer than I ever expected to get as a new grad. So that is my #1.

2) Started and finished a novel

This is pretty significant to me because I'm one of those people that has no trouble starting a lot of things, but then never finishing any of them. I've probably started writing at least six different novels in the past, but never finished one until NaNoWriMo this year. And even better, I've been getting a lot of positive feedback on it, including from people I never expected to read it. Now I just need to finish the first draft of the novel I started late last year, which is almost done.

3) Social growth

This is more broad and harder to measure, but with every passing year I'm happy with the progress I've made in terms of socializing. Up until just a few years ago, I was always a reactive socialite instead of proactive, so while I didn't really have any trouble making friends with people who shared a lot of interests, it only happened if I was approached about stuff. I was always too afraid to put myself out there or even ask simple questions of people. I'm just glad that at this point, I have little trouble going up to complete strangers and starting up conversations. A lot of people who haven't seen me in a few years are also very surprised at how easy going I have become. Still a lot of work to be done, but I'm plenty young enough to do it.

Those are my major ones. Hope other people will jump in here too.

Comments

• Eh, I wrote a novel this year. Not much else happened. :(
  • Found a good job in the worst economy my generation has ever seen.
  • 1) I started dating the awesomest girl ever! Nothing else really matters. <3

OK, now that you're all done vomiting, on to the rest.

2) Peter's Bitter Black Existence became a reality. I've been looking to get into brewing for a long while, and I finally made the plunge. To top it off, it's pretty damn good (if you like that sort of thing)!

3) I did a pretty awesome metal panel at CTcon, and I plan to expand it a bit and fix the few issues it had.

4) I beat Dragon Age.

5) I obtained my gel certifications for PFGE subtyping of <i>L. monocytogenes, Salmonella, and E. coli. While a fairly small thing in and of itself, this is a good certification for a person in my particular field to have. Should I wish to change jobs, this will be a nice thing to have on a resume.
  • 1) Guns of Icarus - This is the first game I can really claim to have a big influence on the design of. Not only that, but the subject matter is like something I would have daydreamed about. The game was for work, but it made me a better painter/animator/modeler/co-worker and I feel, for the first time, like I can proudly show off something I did.

2) Moved officially beyond 6th Grade Reading Level in Japanese Kanji - I finally am officially at a Junior High School/High School level In terms of my reading. I took a bunch of mock exams and read a bunch of novels, so feel like it's safe to say that I've graduated little kid school. I'm pretty proud of that. Also, I translated a heck ton of Hetalia and had hundreds of fangirls squee because of me!

3) Finished a sketchbook. Drew lots of faces from life. I finally got out of my pretty boy rut and drew all sorts of old men and fat ladies on the train. Hooray!

I think those are the three main ones. There are other nebulous personal/emotional goals that I reached, but they are a little harder to articulate, so I'll leave it at that.
  • 1) Moved to New York

A goal I have had for some time now, given that most of my favorite people live here.

2) Didn't fail out of law school...yet

Also important, since I am way too full of myself to stand for that kind of failure.

3) Achieved enlightenment

Laugh all you want; I am totally serious. During Beltane I did a whole lot of introspection and eventually things just clicked for me. I am happy with myself and I don't need to compromise my needs to get someone to like me. I got out of a somewhat toxic relationship, took a series of huge steps towards my goals in life, and simultaneously acquired funding for those goals. Refusing to compromise my needs landed me an incredibly AWESOME roommate. As a bonus, I've gotten pretty good at communicating my needs, my wants, and my philosophy of relationships, so I am able to help my friends and not appear crazy and inscrutable to my boyfriend. I also incidentally made up a presentation on self-awareness and communication that I hope, at some point, will be of help to others.

...Oh, and I started dating someone that's pretty cool. You know, if you're into that sort of thing.
  • ...Oh, and I started dating someone that's pretty cool. You know, if you're into that sort of thing.
    Sounds like a douchebag to me.
  • Sounds like a douchebag to me.
    What?! I'm not dating Nuri! There's at least two seas and an ocean in between us. Ergo, that lad cannot be a douchebag.
  • edited December 2009
    What?! I'm not dating Nuri! There's at least two seas and an ocean in between us. Ergo, that lad cannot be a douchebag.
    No no no. I said a douchebag, not King douchebag. :P

EDIT: Actually, you're more Prince Douchebag. I work with King Douchebag. Nobody's as bad as that guy, trust me.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Let's see...

1. Asking a girl out for the first time, and learning to deal with rejection and not be a pansy.

2. Applying to my dream college for my dream major (and hopefully getting in!), thereby continuing on the path I set myself towards in the 7th grade.

3. Learning to deal with "the laymen" better, as I am now much better at talking to people with different interests than me while still having a good conversation. All in all, I've loosened up, and I think it makes me a more likable person is someways, though I still have a ways to go.
  • 1. Got a girlfriend. Manage to keep said girlfriend through year: It's been a goal for way too long. I finally managed to not screw up a romance. Now I definitely feel more liberated.

2. Declared a major (Computer Science): I always knew I had to pick a practical major. I also always enjoyed tinkering with computers. I never thought I would make it a career, primarily because I didn't think I had the technical mind for it. After taking an introductory comp sci course and doing a lot more work on my own (including some Flash games that NO ONE WILL EVER SEE), I realized I could definitely learn this stuff.

3. Finally found a nice community of friends to play online games with: I've had an Xbox Live gold account for about two years now, and the only thing keeping me from canceling the account was Netflix. Once I finally got my 360 online at my dorm room, I started playing a lot with my roommate and cousin. Since then, Rock Band, Halo 3, and Left 4 Dead 2 have been eating all of my free time (although actually making me more productive when I need to get something done).

4. Did more leisurely reading: When I finished A Game of Thrones in October, it was a rainy night. When I realized I could run to the store and buy it before it closed. I endured a rain storm to continue the storyline. I can't remember the last time I was that engrossed in a series. Now I'm finishing up Clash of Kings, and then I'll probably switch to the Prince of Nothing series for winter break.

5. Found a Burning Wheel group: Sure, we only met once to discuss the storyline, but I'm definitely feeling optimistic about the game I'll be playing next semester. I hope this goes well so I can finally liberate my home-party from the injustice that is AD&D.

6. Found plenty more room for improvement: Despite all of these, I realized I need to get organized. I need to spend more time thinking about the future and getting into some good habits. Also, next year I really don't want to completely fail during NaNoWriMo (even though it was mostly due to a family issue).
  • including some Flash games that NO ONE WILL EVER SEE
    If they are not Fruit Mystery, you have succeeded.
  • 1. I'm going back to school. I really shouldn't have left in the first place. I can't wait to re begin a college experience, although I'm 24.

2. I got a bit better at drawing from life instead of just manga/cartoon/comic stuff. Sorta. Maybe not.

3. Learning and still learning to not be afraid of thing I want to say. Trying not to worry what others may think of my opinions and trying to convey my thoughts better. Now I only wish people can hear me.

4. Got the strength to finally try things I always wanted to. (Going to a goth club and dancing, shaving my head, traveling far by myself, going to a con party, wearing gothic lolita in public, making a website from scratch with CSS, starting a webcomic, cutting drama from my life, meeting awesome slightly famous people without dying, doing panels at Otakon, and eating real ramen.)

It's not much or any thing anyone can call accomplishments. I really didn't do anything spectacular like most of you. It seems so everyday ordinary in retrospect.
  • I don't know how to answer this question. This year has been the most unpredictable year of my life. If you went back to January and asked me what my goals or desires for the coming year were, you'd see that they all bear little resemblace to what I actually did.
  • 2009 sucked.
  • I graduated high school- which is really not a big deal considering that I didn't do anything special or get any scholarships. That's really about it.
  • 2009 sucked.
    QFT
  • 2009 sucked.
    QFT
    Yeah, fuck you, 2009
  • 2009 has been very good to me. Maybe I stole everyone else's win.
  • 2009 has been very good to me. Maybe I stole everyone else's win.
    I choose to believe that I made my own win. Gotta go after what you want.
  • 2009 was the best. I became absolute leader of the secret universal shadow government.

Oh wait... shit.
  • 2009 was the best. I became absolute leader of the secret universal shadow government.

Oh wait... shit.
    I KNEW IT! ZIONIST CONSPIRACY!
  • I got a C in Abstract Vector Spaces.

Trust me, that's an accomplishment.
  • 4) I met the absolute leader of the secret universal shadow government. He was mighty drowsy.
  • 4) I met the absolute leader of the secret universal shadow government. He was mighty drowsy.
    Listen, it's not easy being in charge. Every day some martial arts masters come to challenge me, and I have to send them to hell. Luckily, nothing compares to Scott no Ken.
  • 2009 sucked.
    QFT
    Yeah, fuck you, 2009
    2009 was a year of failures for me. I learned a lot, but it wasn't a pleasant journey. 2010 is looking like a good year though.
  • I learned a lot, but it wasn't a pleasant journey.
    QFT, my brother.
  • Scott no Ken.
    Are you giving the Hundred Crack Fist of Scott to indignant fat people?
  • I finally am comfortable with who I really am, with few regrets.
  • GeoGeo
    edited December 2009
    I learned a lot, but it wasn't a pleasant journey.
    QFT, my brother.
    It's true. The year was mostly rough, but I'll only state the gems of that rough year.

1: I finally graduated high school with a college degree (and am going to community college right now).

2: I had the epiphany of what I wanted to spend the rest of my life doing and what my future college plans would be like.

3: I had a job for many months at which I was happy, even though I got laid off, but it's no concern of mine any longer.

4: I went to the prom and quit being a wallflower and danced with the woman I loved.

5: Speaking of which, I felt love (not puppy love or a crush as some would call it) for the first time. But I was indirectly shot down (with her not ever finding out my feelings nor being the one who shot me down) and learned the basic mechanics of love and what to expect in the future.

6: I had the first geekchat in July and actually got to speak with the forumites and a few FRC members as well.

7: I met the forumites and the FRC for the very first time during summertime and had a couple more experiences with them in varying locations. It was the beginning of a great relationship with all of you guys.

8: I drove a car for the first (and only as of now) time in my life.

That's about all I can think of right now as there wasn't anything that significant other than those eight. I leave the the year of 2009 and the aughts with no regrets as I'm proud as to how far I've come and how much I've changed not just this year, but this past decade. The future is uncertain for me, but I'm ready and will weather the storm until I reach the promised land and fulfill my goal in life.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Each new year on the Juggling Podcast I did with Pola, we listed 10 juggling related goals. In 2008 I managed 5.5 goals out of 10. As I probably won't be running through this list on the podcast (the last episode we recorded was the End of 2008 episode) I might as well count up the score now:

Personal Juggling Goals for 2009:
    - More videos, I like the idea of workshops, things that don't work as audio podcasts. - Win!
    - 9 clubs (might as well put it in again) - 18 passes each. - Fail!
    - New show (room) - Fail!
    - Finish new motion tracking routines. - Fail!
    - More material for cruise ship gigs using same props: hat, ball and plank of wood, etc. - Win!
    - More conventions and performing together than last year. - Win!
    - Host shows together with properly written material. - Fail!
    - Work on characters. - Fail!
    - Cruise together. - Fail!
    - More podcast shows. - Fail!

Final score: 3 out of 10. This might have a lot to do with injuries at the beginning of the year, working on other projects not listed here, doing a lot more cruises than last year and, most relevantly, getting dumped by Pola. I am happy with the juggling I have done this year though, and plan to fulfill a number of those goals in 2010.

The only new years resolution I remember at the moment is learning to touch type. Fail! I did at least try, but really struggled to put in much work.

Framed by what I expected or wanted to do at the beginning of 2009, it has been a year full of fail. But I have accomplished a lot of fine things:

- Got a whole lot better at performing and improved my show.
    - Earned far more money than I've been able to spend.
    - Visited about 45 countries, including many countries I've never visited before 2009.
    - Made an awesome video of me juggling in all the above countries, a video I'll be releasing in January.
    - Got an advertising deal with the above video, which will hopefully earn me more money in 2010.
    - Organized the British Young Juggler of the Year competition for the fifth year in the row, which I like to think is single handedly raising the level of juggling in the UK.
    - Released my first novel for free, online, and had many emails with great feedback.
    - Completed two other novels, though both need a bit more work before public release.
    - Written half of another novel, and though I don't think I'll finish it, I did learn a lot.
    - Learnt a load more about photography, and have gotten to the point where I think I'm pretty good at it.
    - Read about 40 novels.
    - Reviewed a load of novels on my Science Fiction Book Review Podcast, got loads of new listeners, been a guest on other podcasts, and generally got a lot of good feedback.