This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• That .gif is better than Avatar.
  • Transporter: Okay.
    Transporter 2: A little more than okay.
    Transporter 3: A lot less than okay.
  • Okay, Aaron Diaz of Dresden Codak sums up my feelings perfectly. http://dresdencodak.tumblr.com/post/24913699967/5-ways-to-improve-prometheus-spoilers
    I DID like the movie (for one thing, it looked amazing!) but that's not to say that I didn't feel unsatisfied about some aspects of it.
  • Well, space jesus...

• Okay, Aaron Diaz of Dresden Codak sums up my feelings perfectly. http://dresdencodak.tumblr.com/post/24913699967/5-ways-to-improve-prometheus-spoilers
    I DID like the movie (for one thing, it looked amazing!) but that's not to say that I didn't feel unsatisfied about some aspects of it.
    From his article:

"Providing a serious existential threat of basically having a malevolent God"

Evangelion.
  • edited June 2012
    I think the changes he's proposing would make the film too easy. A malevolent god isn't really the right type of antagonist for this movie - it'd be too straightforward.

Again, I go back to Frankenstein's creation. In the novel, he's called a "monster," but he's no more or less malevolent than humanity in general. It makes for a great antagonist - someone who displays our own unlikable qualities. If he were all bad, he'd have been boring.

This isn't a movie about heroism. It's about persistence.

Edit: I'm curious to hear what Rym thinks of the movie.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited June 2012
    But I think my problem was
    they DID make the creator guy all bad! But they didn't follow through with that idea, they just made him a slasher brute!
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • But I think my problem was
    they DID make the creator guy all bad! But they didn't follow through with that idea, they just made him a slasher brute!
    Well,

they made him unknown, really. I mean, he did have the arrogant humans facing him down. And the parallels between him and us mean that he's really no more "bad" than we are. So his real motivations are mysterious to us - they have the appearance of being unjustified, but the whole movie concerns itself with stuff we don't get to know. I didn't see him as a monster - he was simply beyond us. Lovecraftian, in a way.

This is ignoring Space Jesus, of course.

But I do think the film was hampered by fence-sitting. It was 70% arthouse wrapped in the guise of sci-fi horror. I think most people expected (and wanted) sci-fi horror -which would have been fine - and what you got was mostly Valhalla Rising in space, only not fully committed to arthouse. I do think it needed to either completely commit to its arthouse nature, or dial that back into more conventional horror.

• Spoilers within:
  • edited June 2012
    I'm still confused as to what people are considering to be out of character behavior. I can't be the only person who thought the whole thing made perfect sense.
    How about...

I notice a foreign, alien squiggle in my eye and I'm going to pretend like nothing happen, despite the fact that I live in a future with amazing medical technology.

I mean, I could have bought that moment if say, Charlie would have been taken to the medical bay and died there, but when Theron burned him and he re-animated into a zombie...it just shown he was really, REALLY dumb and that whole set up was convenience for more people to die.

I'll say Prometheus is good, in that the technical points were incredible with the visuals, the cinematography, and the set design was excellent. The story, characters, and their motivation is a mess. It was sloppy enough that I would nitpick and probably not watch again, but it was fun to watch it in the theater.

Seriously, fuck Bro-Husband and the Ginger.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • I stopped listening to you once you confused two different characters.

The zombie was the Fifield, crazy mohawk dude, not Holloway.
  • I stopped listening to you once you confused two different characters.

The zombie was the Fifield, crazy mohawk dude, not Holloway.
    I could have sworn Holloway was the zombie, as they had the close-up on the charred suit with stuff coming out of it. Fair enough, my mistake. Still, BIG WARNING SIGN. "Something in my eye and I'm getting horribly sicker? Don't worry about me!"

• Space Jesus: The Musical.

Someone make that happen.
  • It has been observed that _____: The Musical will always be funny to some degree; at the very least it will inspire a smirk.
  • Not to be a Big Hater but Promotheus was written by a Lost writer, which probably has a lot to do with why the story has a messy presentation and the characters are kind of absurd.
  • I liked Haywire.
  • Not to be a Big Hater but Promotheus was written by a Lost writer, which probably has a lot to do with why the story has a messy presentation and the characters are kind of absurd.
    I think the bigger problem is that they *almost* got it right. You can feel what they were going for. If they had tightened up the space Jesus angle, made it a tiny bit clearer, fixed up some of the silly dialogue " I'm a Geologist! I like rocks!" and just gave it a little bit more polish and time in the cooker, it COULD have been one of the best Sci-fi movies ever made.

It's so close!

• RymRym
    edited June 2012
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Prometheus is going to be objectively bad.

and you are only going to like it because of references to Aliens, if it was Muppets it would be just as.... WAY MORE AWESOME!
    I can't believe I predicted this :-p
  • OMG that Penny Arcade. My mom and I were complaining about this exact thing on the phone yesterday. It's like riptides, people!
  • I watched The Ides of March this evening. Pretty solid movie! George Clooney's best (directed) film so far, by far (for me).
  • Paul Chapman and friend's review.
    This movie has, hands down, the worst application of science I have ever seen in a science fiction film, the worst application of the scientific method...
    I agree with Paul.
  • He apparently hasn't seen 9.
  • Does 9 count as a science fiction movie?
  • It's definitely debatable, but they do invoke the word "science" a lot in that movie, even when they're drawing pentagrams and splitting souls into multiple parts.
  • edited June 2012
    If magic is real, then studying and doing magic is a sort of science. 9 is a universe where magic is real, thus science is magic. Additionally, it's also a universe where friendship is magic, thus making friendship science.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • 9's magic is science the same way that FMA alchemy is science. It must follow rules -- much like how our sciences do -- but those rules are drastically different from our rules.
  • I'll just point out at this juncture that those of us who routinely employ the scientific method - y'know, scientists - haven't had an issue with their application of the scientific method. In fact, it was a pretty accurate representation of how we actually investigate.

Seriously, the most brilliant minds out there are constantly winging it.

And no, computer science doesn't count.