This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• After watching the DKR, I get the impression that the series was less about Bruce Wayne Batman, and more about what comes after, despite the lack of sequels. I thought that in the beginning when he was all limpy, and I feel like that was confirmed with the wink wink between him and Alfred at the end and Blake finding the Batcave.
  • I don't think anymore movies will be made, nor do I want anymore made, but it was seemed like it was inferred that because they revealed his name was Robin and he was given directions to the Bat Cave.
    That made me conclude he was either going to be the next Batman (a la Dick Greyson rather recently in comic continuity) or become Nightwing. Robin is kinda silly on his own, and needs others to play off of.

• GeoGeo
    edited July 2012
    I had a LOT of problems with The Dark Knight Rises. Don't get me wrong, overall I think it is an excellent film that has many brilliant parts to it, but it took a LONG time to get started and kinda stumbled around a bit somewhat hamfistedly. Also, that ending where Batman is okay in the end really enraged me. If a movie states that someone is going to die, they should die; no questions asked. Besides, the sacrifice would have meant so much more if he stayed dead. Other than that, I loved everything else about it and I'll call it one of the best movies I've seen all year.

Post edited by Geo on
  • Dark Knight Rises may have been the most classist movie I've seen in a long time.

That was a bit of a turn-off, but the rest of the movie was quite good, and I'm glad it didn't end with the pseudo-philosophical-sounding bullshit that Dark Knight did.

Overall, I'm definitely liking the recent Marvel movies better than the DC ones.
  • edited July 2012
    Dude, Bruce Wayne ranks with several countries in term of GDP, and that's according to canon. It's tough to keep something from being classist when the protagonist's superpower is "money."
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I wasn't complaining about that, I was complaining about how a third of the movie seemed like it was based on the Reflections on the Revolution in France.
  • I just came from watching The Dark Knight Rises. I have conflicted feelings about it. But ultimately it was a little disappointing.
  • edited July 2012
    Watched Dark Knight Returns and was surprised with myself. There was a piece of dialog between Blake and the orphanage owner during the climax of the film. It was something Blake said on the subject of "hope" and it made me cry. What Blake said might have gone over most viewer's head but that's the power of influence in film.
    Post edited by GeorgeC. on
  • edited July 2012
    The ending of Dark Knight Rises:

[spoiler]
    Post edited by Sail on
  • The ending of Dark Knight Rises:
    Mind... blown...
  • Dark Knight Rises falls right in the middle between the first two films for me. Liked it better than Begins, but not as good as Dark Knight. It really does feel to me like these movies aren't so much about Batman as they are about the villains he faces and how the people of Gotham react to those villains. From that perspective, Bane was an awesome villain, but he wasn't as entertaining as Joker was. The ending was kind of a letdown compared to the rest of the movie too. Still, I really enjoyed it overall.

Best part of the film was Dr. Crane as the judge.
  • I just came home from seeing the Dark Knight who Raise. Overall I liked it, was quite pleased.

At some point while watching the film I started to think that it didn't even seem as Batman story. Well, to be exact it didn't seem to be a story about Batman or Bruce Wayne. In many ways most of the move was Blake's story and I was totally ok with that. Because after Dark Knight there wasn't really that much to explore in Batman's character. Dark Knight already pushed his believes to the limit and showed their strength. In Blake's story Batman was less of a character and more of a story element, it allowed us to see Batman, not as the focus of the story, but as a hero, a legend and a inspiration.
  • edited July 2012
    Best part of the film was Dr. Crane as the judge.
    I didn't even realize that it was him before they mentioned his name. But when they did I had serious "oh, I see..." moment.

Also there was a scene on the move that made me think about
    this.

Post edited by Apsup on
  • DISHES DISHES
    WASH 'EM
    WASH 'EM

I really enjoyed the DKR. My local theater was showing all 3 movies back to back, so I went with a few friends. I love all 3, but for different reasons.

Begins is campy as shit, but they did a good job with Batman's origin story, even if the macguffin was completely implausible. Plus, the name of the actor who played the fat prisoner is Turbo Kong. I mean, come on.

The Dark Knight, though, is a masterpiece. I can forgive Joker's complete knowledge of all possible outcomes of his plans because he's such a good character. Everything about the film was amazing.

The Dark Knight Rises is definitely the middleman. I thought the plot was overly complex, but at the same time I enjoyed it so much that I completely lost myself in it. Bane's endgame was one of the most brilliant schemes I've ever seen.
  • DISHES DISHES
    WASH 'EM
    WASH 'EM
    I heard "DISHY DISHY! PASTA PASTA!" but that could just be because of Doug Walkers video about it.
  • edited July 2012
    I watched The Dark Knight Rises for a second time (I believe in second chances). I enjoyed a lot more than the first time. I agree with most people in the regard that The Dark Knight is a better movie. I think that the letdown comes from me knowing about the comics and that
    Taila Al Ghul was going to be on the movie.

I even got over the
    kind of fake self-sacrifice at the end and that "Robin" thing.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • edited July 2012
    Can I just say that all of the plots in the Batman series were poorly motivated and, frankly, fucking ridiculous, much more so than in the Avengers movies?

That really seems like it shouldn't be the case considering how "serious" the Dark Knight trilogy is supposed to be.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Is it just me or did Bane sound like Patrick Stewart playing with a Darth Vader voice machine?
  • I kept expecting Bane to say something along the lines of "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"
  • Saw The Dark Knight Rises on Friday. I surprisingly loved it as much as the original Dark Knight. I hadn't even seen Batman Begins, but didn't feel it was necessary. (Already knew about Ra's al Ghul and The League of Shadows)

I think the character development and acting all around in TDKR is incredible, because everyone gets pretty balanced screen time. Really felt the emotion and all the tension of the movie. I know people can find their plotholes or issues with the motivation/how things wrapped up, but I thought it was really solid and a very fitting conclusion because it felt like Bruce Wayne finally had an appropriate ending. Thought Bane was a really good villain in the second half, because he's a real terrorist-anarchist which made me fear for Batman and Gotham. Loved the "Blake" character.

I really want to see the movie again. It'll probably stay in my Top 5 movies of the year.
  • I had a LOT of problems with The Dark Knight Rises. Don't get me wrong, overall I think it is an excellent film that has many brilliant parts to it, but it took a LONG time to get started and kinda stumbled around a bit somewhat hamfistedly. Also, that ending where Batman is okay in the end really enraged me. If a movie states that someone is going to die, they should die; no questions asked. Besides, the sacrifice would have meant so much more if he stayed dead. Other than that, I loved everything else about it and I'll call it one of the best movies I've seen all year.
    You missed the point of the "sacrifice" entirely. The point was that Wayne realized a fear of death, and discovered that you don't need to die for a cause to fight for it absolutely. Additionally, the "sacrifice" and Catwoman's clean slate program were the same thing-- they were both looking for a way to finish their business and get out of the game. As for your opinion that if someone is stated to have died, they stay dead, that's bull. Gandalf the Motherfucking White, bro.

• Is it just me or did Bane sound like Patrick Stewart playing with a Darth Vader voice machine?
    I thought the same thing
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2012
    I had a LOT of problems with The Dark Knight Rises. Don't get me wrong, overall I think it is an excellent film that has many brilliant parts to it, but it took a LONG time to get started and kinda stumbled around a bit somewhat hamfistedly. Also, that ending where Batman is okay in the end really enraged me. If a movie states that someone is going to die, they should die; no questions asked. Besides, the sacrifice would have meant so much more if he stayed dead. Other than that, I loved everything else about it and I'll call it one of the best movies I've seen all year.
    You missed the point of the "sacrifice" entirely. The point was that Wayne realized a fear of death, and discovered that you don't need to die for a cause to fight for it absolutely. Additionally, the "sacrifice" and Catwoman's clean slate program were the same thing-- they were both looking for a way to finish their business and get out of the game. As for your opinion that if someone is stated to have died, they stay dead, that's bull. Gandalf the Motherfucking White, bro.

I think you've given me insight on the "sacrifice" and I think I'll think differently of it next time I see it (which is this weekend). How is what I said about people dying bull? Sure, its nice when a character you care about survives something that would seem like almost certain death. My problem is that too often in American cinema (mostly mainstream), the whole notion of a tragic picture is something that is beyond most people and they either do not want to see anything of that sort or are outright hostile against such movies. This is mostly due to how mainstream filmmaking has, by and large, killed the tragedy as a valid form of storytelling (which was once on the same ground as comedy). What I hate are bullshit deus ex machina storytelling devices that bring a character back amidst exceedingly impossible odds. Somebody surviving a nuke is absolutely ridiculous and you are led to truly believe that he truly did die. In closing, if it either seems appropriate in the context of mood, situation, storyline structure, and character development; then a character should stay dead. If a character should come back and a writer recognizes that a character should not die, than they should come back. I guess too many fake-outs along those lines have made this a big bug up my butt personally and I wish more people would go toward keeping characters dead.

Post edited by Geo on
  • It wasn't bullshit Deus Ex Machina at all. He fixed the autopilot and didn't tell anyone; he intended to fake his own death. Nolan made that very clear. He likely wasn't anywhere near the blast when the nuke went off; it had a six-mile blast radius. Him escaping in light of Fox's discovery is entirely plausible and in-line with the canonical resourcefulness and ingenuity of the Goddamned Batman. They wouldn't have mentioned the fact that Fox wanted Bruce to fix the BAT's autopilot within the first hour of the film if the ending was going to be a true Deus Ex Machina. That would have needed to have Fox say the BAT didn't support an autopilot, and for Bruce to somehow wizard one together in a few weeks.

Obviously, tragedy is a valid form of storytelling, but the Dark Knight Rises is definitively not a tragedy. Aesthetically, it is far closer to noir, and in no way does it actually utilize a true deus ex machina.
  • When in the end they showed batman's face on the plane only thing I could think was Dark Kinigth Returns. "This would be a good death... but not good enough"

• I have a gut feeling no one cares about my opinion of Spider Man, which I just finished watching (friend already saw Dark Knight, and is going through a rough patch, so I went with him), buuuuuttttt...

Doesn't hold a candle to the original two (what third movie?). Andrew Garfield's stuttering awkwardness was entertaining at first, but played up to an absurd degree (I started wincing at scenes with him and Emma Stone). It really didn't even seem like the filmmakers wanted to tell the origin story. Villain was lousy, emotional scenes were bland, and WHERE THE FUCK WAS J. J. JAMESON?

Go back to talking about Dark Knight. I appreciate your copious use of spoiler tags.
  • I have a gut feeling no one cares about my opinion of Spider Man, which I just finished watching (friend already saw Dark Knight, and is going through a rough patch, so I went with him), buuuuuttttt...

Doesn't hold a candle to the original two (what third movie?). Andrew Garfield's stuttering awkwardness was entertaining at first, but played up to an absurd degree (I started wincing at scenes with him and Emma Stone). It really didn't even seem like the filmmakers wanted to tell the origin story. Villain was lousy, emotional scenes were bland, and WHERE THE FUCK WAS J. J. JAMESON?
    No worries, I care about your opinion. I think the new movie falters because while it has as many applicable problems the first two movies have, IT DEMANDS to be taken more seriously. I won't argue that the acting was better, but it falls apart with character motivation and just how the story doesn't explain anything. What made me mad the most was...

Peter Parker couldn't keep his identity worth a damn. Maybe I can forgive all the dialogue where he's obviously shoving someone away or letting people clearly know his secret like Dr. Connors, Cpt. Stacy or Gwen, but how are there SO MANY SCENES where Peter's powers clearly leave an impact and not a damn person says anything. The bathroom scene, how he tears up his room, the two times he wrecks shit at the school, and how about JUMPING FROM A BUILDING IN BROAD DAYLIGHT.

From what I've heard though, a major scene was cut out of the film, which might explain the issues the film has had with consistency and pacing.
  • The Duellists is perhaps the best hidden gem film I've discovered in a long time. Especially if you appreciate historical dramas.
  • The Duellists is perhaps the best hidden gem film I've discovered in a long time. Especially if you appreciate historical dramas.
    Which is ironic considering it is a Ridley Scott film. Definitely up there as one of the best films he's ever made.

• So I watched The Dark Knight Rises and I have to agree with several other on it being in between the other two for how good it is, better than Begins and worse than The Dark Knight. I think I liked the other two films better, but I have to let it set in more before I can form that opinion. It was an okay film, not excellent but none of them are really. I like the way they handled the villain so that he was not completely evil, I enjoy those types of villains personally. Also, I am not sure how people can compare Bane to the Joker really, that would be like comparing Lex Luthor to Doomsday, totally different types of villains. I could see comparing how they effect the hero, in this case Batman, and the others in the story, but who was a more effective villain is incomparable.