This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• Watching the Dark Knight Rises really makes me wish they had made a full-length adaptation of No Man's Land.
  • Watching The Dark Knight Rises really makes me love The Dark Knight a lot more every day.
  • It made me want to read The Dark Knight Returns again. Still good despite modern Frank Miller being...modern Frank Miller.
  • I really liked the Dark Knight Rises, but I did take issue with it.
    While I buy that Batman would have been outside of the blast radius, wouldn't there have been a huge tidal wave after the bomb exploded right above the ocean?

Even before the "Robin" reveal, I had a feeling that he fit that role even if it was never explicit. With the ending and all, I couldn't help but hope for a Batman Beyond Trilogy in the future.

• edited July 2012
    I think the last time I went to the cinema was to watch The Dark Knight, so thought The Dark Night Rises would be a good time to return. The theater was packed, and I had a seat right in the middle about midway back. Perfect!

Except the couple to my left kept giggling at moments. The moments were when a line was a bit cheesy or a stunt was a bit off. No I remember why I don't bother with going to the cinema! I don't like to have a continuing update of how someone else is enjoying the movie, or not, as it takes me out of the film.

That said, at some points the entire cinema laughed or cheered. No cheers for any heroics, but plenty when Cillian Murphy turned up.

I enjoyed the movie a lot. I think it's a super strong "end" to the series, and certainly lived up to my expectations. I spotted a number of plot holes, and I also spotted the big twist because of one plot hole, so I won't give it away here.

Edit: Also spotted: Quinn from Dexter as the bridge cop, though I'm not sure if anyone else in the cinema noticed.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • Watched "6 Days to Air"

The best.

Thoroughly enjoyed.
  • edited July 2012
    There are two things I don't understand from watching TDKR, hoping someone can clarify.

How did Bruce lose his own company? I didn't understand the financial aspect of it, I don't have a strong econ background. How are the fingerprints, the stock market take over by Bane (still not sure what he did there) and the "double down but fails" thing related or what it means. Is whatever happened plausible in real life?

Why does Bane want to nuke the city? Could not figure out the motive.
    Post edited by iruul on

• @iruul

If you recall in Batman Begins, Rhaz Al Ghul wanted to destroy Gotham City to basically start all over again. A purge sort of situation. Bane wanted to do the same thing, or just finish his task.
  • Watched Henry V this weekend.

Greatest. Speech. Ever.

• @iruul

If you recall in Batman Begins, Rhaz Al Ghul wanted to destroy Gotham City to basically start all over again. A purge sort of situation. Bane wanted to do the same thing, or just finish his task.
    But then why did he bother with making weapons in the sewers, stealing all the military weapons and freeing the prisoners if he was just gonna destroy the whole city. And what is so special about Gotham? Also, it seemed that he didn't even know the nuke existed or worked until after Bruce revealed it so how does that work?

• edited July 2012
    Talia knew about the nuke since the beginning, and seeing as how she and Bane worked together that partially explains it. I think most of the stuff he did was so that he would be able to destroy the city. Create chaos and fear to distract or otherwise keep others from stopping him.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • Remember that Bane wanted to make it painful for Bruce.
  • Bane said that he wanted the destruction of Gotham to be especially painful (the slow knife mentioned later) and so wanted to foster false hope so he could smash the spirit of Gotham as well as the body (something that is foreshadowed by The Joker right at the end of The Dark Knight
  • HOLY FUCK. CANNOT WAIT.
  • For some reason that movie felt very Tezuka to me, which is a good thing.
    Not a surprise, considering the Wachowski Brothers are diehard anime/manga fans.

Not a surprise, considering the Wachowskis Brothers are diehard anime/manga fans.
    Not a surprise, considering the Wachowskis Brothers are diehard anime/manga fans.
    Who else is there?

• edited August 2012
    Lana (formerly Larry) is transgender.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2012
    Lana (formerly Larry) is transgender.
    Words cannot describe how happy I am about this being the first public appearance of Lana.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Dark Knight Rises was a bad version of the plot from 24 Season 2 that disposes of an important character in a stupid way that makes all the build up worthless. It's also written around Batman instead of being about Batman, which is a weird one.
  • I just watched God Bless America. Anyone else see it?
  • Having watched it last night, Iron Man was a better movie than The Avengers, hands down, and from every conceivable perspective
  • I just watched God Bless America. Anyone else see it?
    Yes. I love it.
  • I saw Jiro Dreams of Sushi and the Sound of Noise over the weekend. Two excellent foreign movies. Jiro made me crave sushi so much. I'll have to remedy that this week hopefully.
  • Having watched it last night, Iron Man was a better movie than The Avengers, hands down, and from every conceivable perspective
    The Iron Man movies are very good.
  • I love it.
    The Iron Man movies are very good.
    1 is so superior to 2. As much as I love Avengers, Nick Fury and Black Widow could easily be cut from that story.

• edited August 2012
    Iron Man One is one of the better super hero movies out there, but Rym didn't believe me till now :-p

Iron Man Two, has some pacing problems but is still pretty fun.

I also wonder if Rym enjoyed Iron Man One more after seeing Avengers then he would if he saw it in reverse order.
    Post edited by Cremlian on