This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• I think maybe he shouldn't bother watching movies at all.
  • Cremlian said:

Dazzle369 definitely has opinions :-p

>_<
  • Watched the three first Police Story movies this weekend.
    First one opened with huge action scene and ended with another awesome one. Also something happened between those two things, but that was of little importance.
    Second and third opened with nothing and while they had nice finales, they were not on the level of the first movie. Still watchable and good, but the first movie was the best.
  • Apsup said:

Watched the three first Police Story movies this weekend.
    First one opened with huge action scene and ended with another awesome one. Also something happened between those two things, but that was of little importance.
    Second and third opened with nothing and while they had nice finales, they were not on the level of the first movie. Still watchable and good, but the first movie was the best.

If you stretch out to Police story 4, a good portion of it was filmed in my city.

• Top Five - great comedy/drama but totally not the movie to see with your parents. Hilarious movie, but awkward looking over and wondering what my mom and dad thought about a particular joke.

Big Hero Six - great non-Pixar Disney movie. I haven't seen Frozen yet, so the only two "Disney" movies I've seen recently were this and Wreck It Ralph, and both were really good. Big Hero Six was great visually, the story and characters were both great, and I really like the world they created. A Big Hero Six/Incredibles team-up really needs to happen.
  • My all time favourite Jackie movies: Police Story 1, Project A, Armour of God, Wheels on Meal, Dragons Forever

They're just too good. Think I may just watch one right now
  • Okay, so it's established that I'm not a movie person, but I do have an obsession with 60s and 70s rock n roll, so when I found out that someone had leaked Cocksucker Blues onto the torrent networks. I had to watch it. It is exactly what I expected: sex, drugs, and rock n roll. A tour like this would never be conducted by a AAA band. There are acts nowadays that are insane enough to do it, and there are acts nowadays rich enough to do it, but no act is both. Even the wild out of control acts of today would never fill a bathtub with wine, have a gangbang on a plane, or dance nude on a chandelier. I can't imagine the Mumford and Sons Touring Party or the Miley Cyrus Touring Party or really Anyone But The Stones Touring Party.

Apparently Guns n Roses and My Chemical Romance have both claimed the seat of "Most Dangerous Rock Band in the World", but last time I checked none of them were ever banned from America, the UK, and France, none of them were chosen as a New Musical Express' "Who's Likely To Die" #1 for ten years in a row, and at no point did any President -- let alone one as authoritarian and villainous as Richard Nixon -- declare them "The Most Dangerous Rock n Roll Band in the World". The only band that can even compete is The Who, and their grounds for being more dangerous are of a very different nature (only one person has been killed at a Stones concert, can't say the same of them).
  • edited January 2015
    Watched Wages of Fear yesterday after hearing lots of good things. In a word, the film is "tense", or at least that's the feeling you get from the movie. If you can get over the fact that the movie has four or five spoken languages, requires subtitles and is in black and white (and if you are a human being you should really be able to), this is an excellent film to watch.

"Rewatched" 12 Monkeys today. I use the scare quotes because I haven't seen the film in over a decade and I'm actually not sure I've ever seen it in its entirety. My memory is a bit spotty of the last time I saw it. Anyway, Gilliam's style is definitely far in there, which isn't everybody's cup of tea. It is kind of interesting though how the cinematography shifts with the setting. The most obvious example is that the scenes in the mental institution are shot at odd angles, but you can also definitely see how the "future" and the "present" are shot in a different way from each other.

In any case, the movie is quite excellent and the story is really far up my alley. My only complaint is that the ending is kind of contrived with the main actors (as in people moving the story along, not people with a big credit in the film) all conveniently end up in the same place at the same time.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I tried to watch Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas the other night. I don't know how anyone likes that film. It missed the essence of Hunter's writing. The fear and loathing doesn't come from Hunter's excessive drug use, it comes from an underlying paranoia and misanthropy natural to Hunter. Depp's cartoonish mannerisms are completely unlike what Hunter was actually like. What's amazing about the book is that it doesn't phase Hunter like it does in the movie. This is just how he sees the world. Depp needed to borrow more heavily from Bill Murray's portrayal of Hunter in Where the Buffalo Roam -- which was by no means a great movie, but it at least got Hunter right. I was especially disappointed because I know how close Depp was to Hunter, so I know he knows what he was actually like.
  • The Equalizer
    A very well produced vigilante film with a charismatic (Denzel Washington) lead role. There isn't much in this movie as far as plot goes. The story does help to drive the audience to cheer on the protagonist as he kills all the bad guys.
    This is the kind of action film I can watch once and be happy but not necessarily watch again. The movies is based on a TV show which had a similar setup except it was a vigilante act per episode and the protagonist was an old white guy instead of Denzel Washington

Honestly Marvel should have hired the team that did this film to do one of its Punisher films rather than the garbage those ended up being.
  • Rewatched Dredd. I really enjoy it. For a while there, it was my default "I'm stuck on a plane" movie.
  • okeefe said:

Rewatched Dredd. I really enjoy it. For a while there, it was my default "I'm stuck on a plane" movie.

I've watched through that film 3 times it's the best screen rendition in my opinion.
  • Paddington was actually really good. A little bit British humor, a tiny dash of Wes Anderson style, amazing CGI.
  • edited January 2015
    I saw Into the Woods yesterday. I'd say it lives up to the stage show pretty well, and is definitely a movie worth watching.

Rob Marshall made the most reasonable cuts for time that he could have, so I can't really begrudge him for not having "Ever After" or the "Agony" reprise. I don't think they should have cast a kid for Jack, though - his acting wasn't as good as some of the others and "Giants in the Sky" wasn't nearly as good as it could have been.

However, the rest of the movie was solid, and Meryl Streep in particular was spectacular as the Witch. The scene around "Agony" was hilarious as well, and the movie was solid but for Jack and Red Riding Hood just reading their lines at a few points.

You should watch it. If you don't know the stage show, you should bring along someone who does so they can enjoy your reactions as well.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • So yeah...American Sniper. It was pretty shallow. I was expecting something much more nuanced from Eastwood.
  • Her. Her is good. She is good. Whatever.

What I loved about it though was the utopian futurism. It's so refreshing to see a science fiction movie that isn't a dystopia, and isn't about technology going wrong, and isn't about the hubris of man, and isn't about anyone killing anyone, and isn't about society, and isn't about big questions or problems. This is a movie about people, and the problems they have with other people and relationships. Who to fall in love with is, literally, the only thing they have to worry about.

And I really like that, because for most people, including me at various times in my life, that's really the biggest question they want answered. Sure, killer robots and oppressive governments, but really? Who will love me.
  • Boyhood
    So I'm not so sure that this movie is anything but a coming of age story. I personally did not find the main protagonist to be engaging, I was far more interested in the mother, sister and father. I could relate a bit up till he became a teen.
    The way it was shot was pleasing and sure having the same actors over the period of the film is great but it doesn't help the story.
    I would watch it again once maybe in case some one can point out what I'm missing but I found the film to be mediocre.
    Andrew said:

So yeah...American Sniper. It was pretty shallow. I was expecting something much more nuanced from Eastwood.

I was hoping for it to hit me like Gran Torino.
  • Having never got round to it my entire life, I finally watched The Godfather.

The reason I'd never seen it before is that while it's considered one of the top movies ever made, I'm not a fan of movies about organized crime. I really dislike watching bad people doing bad things to other bad people for bad reasons. In the end, these movies too often come down to "I killed enough people for long enough and now I am in charge/have the briefcase." Often I can appreciate the movie making, but the story and characters don't appeal to me.

Now I wish I hadn't watched The Godfather. It was a lot better movie in my own mind, filtered through the experience of those who like it and enjoy it and think it is good. It took me three attempts to get to the end, and Juliane gave up two hours in. I understood her not wanting to see more, as I only carried on past the domestic violence scene out of some kind of obligation to reach the end.

And the end was more disappointing than I expected. I really wanted there to be anything clever at all. Anything. But no. I had to see another hour of disgusting men behaving like mere animals. It's pathetic. There is no thought or intelligence to anything, just lashing out in fear with violence. Why should I spend time with this?

From now on I'll be more weary of watching a movie I don't think I'll enjoy for the single reason that it's a classic.
  • I watched Drive Angry 3D (in 2D) and my review is as follows:

Movie Score: C-

Nicolas Cage Score: A+

So worth watching.
  • Selma
    After a series of quite a few mediocre drama movies, Selma was like a punch in the gut. It felt incredibly authentic, the acting was strong and convincing, the audience was not treated like a fool, the dialog was complex when it needed to be and wasn't scared to need explaining. The quiet moments seemed relevant and required. The score and audio was crucial.
    Even when famous actors appeared on screen, they did not detract or derail the story.

I highly recommend this movie even if you are well read on the subject of the march at Selma, Alabama.
  • Hey, hey, everyone, hey! Nightcrawler is REALLY good.

I know what it was "about", as in it follows a cameraman who gets footage for local news, but I wasn't even sure of the genre of the movie before I saw it. This was probably a good thing. Jake Gyllenhaal is just amazing.
  • Hey, hey, everyone, hey! Nightcrawler is REALLY good.

I know what it was "about", as in it follows a cameraman who gets footage for local news, but I wasn't even sure of the genre of the movie before I saw it. This was probably a good thing. Jake Gyllenhaal is just amazing.

It's not about this guy?
  • No, but it is about a BAMF.
  • Having never got round to it my entire life, I finally watched The Godfather.

The reason I'd never seen it before is that while it's considered one of the top movies ever made, I'm not a fan of movies about organized crime. I really dislike watching bad people doing bad things to other bad people for bad reasons. In the end, these movies too often come down to "I killed enough people for long enough and now I am in charge/have the briefcase." Often I can appreciate the movie making, but the story and characters don't appeal to me.

Now I wish I hadn't watched The Godfather. It was a lot better movie in my own mind, filtered through the experience of those who like it and enjoy it and think it is good. It took me three attempts to get to the end, and Juliane gave up two hours in. I understood her not wanting to see more, as I only carried on past the domestic violence scene out of some kind of obligation to reach the end.

And the end was more disappointing than I expected. I really wanted there to be anything clever at all. Anything. But no. I had to see another hour of disgusting men behaving like mere animals. It's pathetic. There is no thought or intelligence to anything, just lashing out in fear with violence. Why should I spend time with this?

From now on I'll be more weary of watching a movie I don't think I'll enjoy for the single reason that it's a classic.

I've avoided this film for the very same reasons you did. I added this to my 2015 must see list because I thought I might be missing out. Based on your comments, I am removing it from my list. Thanks for taking that bullet.
  • Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
  • Andrew said:

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

See, even that line was a huge disappointment. I've heard it quoted my entire life, and know the story about how it was improvised during the shoot. But... ho hum. Totally not cool, classy, or even interesting.
  • I find that quote funny, it's almost like hearing "why did the chicken cross the road?"

That scene is all about how staging a murder is nothing more than a chore. No emotion, no effort. Just get it done.
  • Dazzle369 said:

That scene is all about how staging a murder is nothing more than a chore. No emotion, no effort. Just get it done.

In other words, totally boring and no drama. Just stupid people with nothing to contribute to the world except violence and suffering doing their day job. Boring. And sad.
  • Correct, but it sets the tone for that period. All of the murders that were to happen, the tic for tac between the crime families.

You're observing the pawns do the kings work. You don't see any actual drama till you see a Corleone. Most of of drama is internal affairs, everything else is 'just business'.
  • Watching Sharknado with Filmsack commentary track. It is terrible, but that is of course the point of the film. The thing I laughed about m ost so far was the fact that when they're trying to get supplies from a corner store, all the cans in the vending machine are turned to the side, and all packages and boxes are stocked into the shelves with their backs showing so you can't read the label.