This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• I've always spelt it feck, learn something new....
  • Dazzle369 said:

I've always spelt it feck, learn something new....

• Nukerjsr said:

Dazzle369 said:

I've always spelt it feck, learn something new....

• Ah classic Father Ted. Interesting fact the dude that played Jack is super soft spoken, really into Shakespeare and things like that. He was doing an interview and the change when he put the teeth in was crazy.
  • Predestination
    Finally got around to watching this film since people in this thread recommended it.
    Damn this film flew way too low under the radar, it was so refreshing to get one of those films that makes you think after the film and is really worth re-watching.
    The depth of the story and philosophy may not be as deep or broad as the Matrix however it does have an incredibly well written story with great actors and a thought provoking plot.

I recommend this to all people who like good story telling, especially if you like science fiction

The small cloud in the blue sky of this movie was a little bit of hand holding at the end for the audience but I can see where it would go way over people's heads if this wasn't the case such as in many Watchowski sibling's films. Having said that, this film obviously did not get the hype it deserved.

I also had no idea it was filmed in the same area that PAX Aus was held last year.
    The bearded brother is my favourite looking character.

The Secret of Kells = Attack on Titan + Princess Mononoke + Zelda + Matriculated + a bit of Repunzle/ Tangled

Enchanting and endearing, I do recommend. Have to admit, had me abit weepy.
  • Don't forget the monk that looked like George Carlin.
  • Predestination, which is a small budget film based on a Heinlein short story titled "All You Zombies", is actually pretty freaking great. It's a time travel movie that sets up a paradox with no leaks, and it's WEIRD. It has the zany 70's-era-scifi-quirkiness that I love, and they left all of the "nonsense" in the movie where other directors have tended to scrub 70s stuff of anything they find too weird, potentially objectionable, etc.

Giving away the central premise kind of spoils the movie, I think, so I won't... but you should watch it. The blurb on Amazon is true, but kinda misleading. The meat of the story isn't action related whatsoever.

http://www.amazon.com/Predestination-Spierig-Brothers/dp/B00QGL1P5G
  • I haven't seen the movie, but "All You Zombies" is fucking amazing.
  • The movie adds a plot thread about a terrorist bomber that I don't think is in the story? It's an additional wrinkle on the whole thing but I think it receives pretty weak treatment throughout the film which kinda undermines the ending twist... but that's getting into spoiler territory.

Aside from that, I really liked it.
  • I even emailed one of the production staff this morning with some questions about the props and he emailed me back with answers like ten minutes later. I freaking love the Internet (and creatives who aren't "above" answering the unwashed masses.)
  • Really enjoyed the Imitation Game, though it's very akin to A Beautiful Mind it's still a unique story, very worth telling. I recommend to watch.

Couldn't get into Foxcatcher at all. Very dull. Wish there were more biographical films like The Aviator and Catch Me If You Can. Those were highly enjoyable to watch. Also, graphic design for Catch Me If You Can's title sequence... need more this!

Whiplash and the Theory of Everything up next.
  • muppet said:

Predestination, which is a small budget film based on a Heinlein short story titled "All You Zombies", is actually pretty freaking great. It's a time travel movie that sets up a paradox with no leaks, and it's WEIRD. It has the zany 70's-era-scifi-quirkiness that I love, and they left all of the "nonsense" in the movie where other directors have tended to scrub 70s stuff of anything they find too weird, potentially objectionable, etc.

When I found out what it was based on (after I had watched), a few things clicked. Recruiting uh, companions for our astronauts, "Space Corp", the confession stories.

Best line: "Son of a bitch. That's funny."
  • IF you want to bare witness to a mere mortal ascend into the heavens of mount olympus to be worshipped as the god of drums, this film...

I've not seen such relentless consistent intensity in a film before. Whiplash is the Battle of Thermopylae, Andrew is Leonidas, Fletcher is Xerxes. THIS IS SPARTA!!

This one was bred to die in battle. Such a great movie, it has to be seen to know what the fuck I'm talking about.
  • Watched What We Do In The Shadows last night with the family. Really enjoyed it. Had a lot of funny moments to it and some pretty cool characters too it. I'd defiantly watch it again. That being said I did feel that something was missing. I couldn't really put my finger on it but it felt like the film at several points came to the edge of being amazing but stepped back.
  • Amp said:

Watched What We Do In The Shadows last night with the family. Really enjoyed it. Had a lot of funny moments to it and some pretty cool characters too it. I'd defiantly watch it again. That being said I did feel that something was missing. I couldn't really put my finger on it but it felt like the film at several points came to the edge of being amazing but stepped back.

I watched this a few weeks ago, and agree. It's on the edge of amazing, but maybe about 20 minutes too long. I think the undead ball/dance near the end was only inserted because the film makers wanted something big or dramatic, but couldn't carry the weight of expectations. But the werewolf scenes were just classic, and I think more could have been made of that conflict instead of inter-vampire conflict.
  • Your right, it hit the nail on the head. There was a lot of stuff that they sort of did, like the vampire hunter, the problems of being room mates, Nick but none of them were the actual focus of the film. Maybe shaving twenty minuets off and having it focused more on the vampire/werewolf conflict.
  • I don't think they should have focused more on the werewolves, just less on the vampire community aspects. I find the idea that vampires are common and everywhere takes away from the interest of the main characters. That they go to shit dance parties in community halls made it overly mundane.
  • Watched the Water Diviner this weekend. It seemed that the only reason he's a water diviner at all is to allow him a convenient bit of magic when the plot would have otherwise stopped, twice it happens. It would have broken immersion if we hadn't have seen him using this gift to find water at the start of the movie.

I really enjoyed it overall. I liked the main character and those he met establishing the first acts. The final act contained a lot more action than I was expecting and because this wasn't an action movie I couldn't predict whether the main character would rise to action hero status or break or fail.
  • Interstellar didn't suck.

I was pleasantly surprised. I don't mind the hippy dippy stuff that other people get worked up about. Love is cool and all that. A little hand waving, so what? They did that in the 70s when sci fi movies were, in my opinion, at their peak.

Made me cry, even though the emotional stuff was all super predictable. Loved the very stark looking military surplus robot dudes. Was surprised, because I didn't even know Matt Damon was in this movie.
  • Last night we checked out the Game Over Atari documentary:

It's a lot of fun. I didn't learn much I didn't already know, but it's fun to see the people living this stuff out.
  • muppet said:

Interstellar didn't suck.

I was pleasantly surprised. I don't mind the hippy dippy stuff that other people get worked up about. Love is cool and all that. A little hand waving, so what? They did that in the 70s when sci fi movies were, in my opinion, at their peak.

Made me cry, even though the emotional stuff was all super predictable. Loved the very stark looking military surplus robot dudes. Was surprised, because I didn't even know Matt Damon was in this movie.

Honest trailers ruined the movie for me in the best way possible :p

• Didn't like Interstellar or Birdman at all.
  • Dazzle369 said:

Didn't like Interstellar or Birdman at all.

You are insane.

• The only way that could be possible is if someone where to attempt to watch both of them at the same time.
  • - Crank 1
    - Crank 2: High Voltage
    - Mad Max
    - Mad Max: The Road Warriors
    - District 9
    - Strange Days
    - The Hurt Locker
    - The Wicker Man (2006 Starting Nichols Cage)
    - Super Bad
    - Hot Fuzz
    - A Scanner Darkly
    - The Warriors (1979)
    - Rebuild of Eva 1.0 You Are Not Alone.
    - Blazing Saddles
    - Pineapple Express
    - Vexile
    - Shawn of the Dead
    - Tropic Thunder

I'm not gonna be able to watch much over the summer since I don't have the student file sharing network at my disposal.

Strange Days feels like it might resonate powerfully today in light of what's going in re: racism and deadly police...

• Last night: Disney's The Sword in the Stone. Not a strong story, but endlessly entertaining.
  • Last night: Disney's The Sword in the Stone. Not a strong story, but endlessly entertaining.

That movie was way better than a lot of people realize. It could have been great, but the way they put it together, it sort of peters out.

• DAT OWL

MOVIE OWL BATTLE!

ARCHIMEDES

BUBO

VOTE NOW

http://strawpoll.me/4090349