This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• I have no regrets.
  • I enjoyed It follows. Its slower paced than a lot of horror movies these days but it kind of had to be and it never felt like it dragged on. I'm curious to see when they end up doing with it if a sequel pans out.

Not sure how I feel about Birdman. It definitely felt well made but I think you kind of have to be in the right mood for it. I guess its more of an "experimental film" than a movie.
  • The Madoka films are on Netflix.
  • Ilmarinen said:

Tomovasky said:

Did anyone see the movie “ex-machine”? From what I have heard it was good, but it looks like I missed it’s time in the theater.

It was OK, but the storytelling and intellectual depth were shallow. Worth seeing once, but nothing to go out of your way for.
    Thought it was a bit better than 'OK'. The intellectual depth may appear shallow, but that A.I... Was acting in a way that may just be exactly how it would act if such a thing existed. Which is pretty terrifying.

FYI: Ex Machina
  • I still haven't been able to make it out to see Mad Max but I thought you all might like this gallery.

http://imgur.com/gallery/Vjo6O
  • I saw The Hobbit: The Battle of the 5 Armies just so I could finish off watching the series.
    Yeah they could have finished this set in 1 or maximum 2 movies. The third was a lot of filler to try to make it as awesome as Return of the King. Plus it was there to set-up a direct follow on from The Hobbit movies to The Lord of the Rings movies.
    At least there was some explanation as to why Elves hate dwarves. Also I got to see a elf riding a moose who picked up 8 orcs which were all decapitated with a single swing of the Elf's sword. But his moose got killed.
  • Big Hero 6. It's really great!

Also it's nice to watch movies on Blue Ray again now we bought a new TV and the HDMI input works. Also it's nice to watch movies on a bigger TV than before too. 48" 1080p instead of 40" 720p is pretty noticeable with modern animated movies on Blue Ray.
  • Inside Out returns Pixar back to Pixar level quality. I would debate this is probably their most relatable movie because it's about understanding and coming to grips with your emotions and memories. Really touching, really funny, really inventive forms of showing off various parts of the brain and cognitive thought. I cried a lot when watching this. Great, great movie. All the emotions were perfectly casted.
  • Nightcrawler
    The incredibly awkward nature of the lead character really makes this film as a frame for the crazy world of catching news stories at night. The theme on how employers and companies shit on employees was sad, funny, unsettling and true. There is quite a bit of depth to this movie (more than what you would get from just watching the literal - guy running around with a camera capturing video news). Analogies and imagery galore with both disgust and trying to rationalise the irrational for the sake of making money.

I'm pretty sure most people have watched it, I was late to the party but I'd give it a 4/5, I would watch it again but not immediately (like I could with a Sci-Fi or action film.
  • Holy shit Gone Girl.
  • Gone girl was hilarious
  • Holy shit Gone Girl.

Yeah it was pretty great but it's not a movie I would be desperate to rewatch soon.

• Mad Max was everything I hoped it would be and more. Loved it.
  • Jupiter Ascending
    Such a letdown for such an amazing universe. Felt as if this story had no dips, there was a consistent action through out the film. The movie felt like 2 or 3 films with all character building and development removed, leaving only action scenes.

The movie's scope was extremely epic but there was no pacing to develop characters. It felt as if the story was messed with heavily after being written.

Also wasn't a fan of Mila Kunis's depiction or maybe the dialogue she was given. Channing Tatum was the most uninspiring character and actor I've seen based on this movie. Real let down after Cloud Atlas from the Watchowskis.
  • Paddington was surprisingly good fun. I'd heard good reviews, but I didn't realize how much of the positivity was about how funny it was, not just that it was a good movie for kids.
  • Chappie
    Wow this movie was great. The first half was Neil Blomkamp movie with a slight twist and the second half was more thought provoking.
    I genuinely didn't think I would care for the South African gangsters but I did by the end of it. The animation was quite slick for the Chappie character.
    This movie definitely makes it to my will watch again list or maybe even acquire.

The themes explored were more than any other movie I've seen recently, the primary one being corruption and corruption of the innocent. The movie successfully also lets you see through the AI's eyes and I would totally agree with an AI for judging humanity as something to remove to improve the world.

Chappie genuinely should start a conversation with the person you watched it with and be something you can think about later on.

Best Blomkamp film thus far. Really not sure why it didn't do better, probably because of the South African accents putting off general public.

Also using big name stars like Hugh Jackman and Sigourney Weaver in side rolls bolsters the rest of the cast and movie.

Most fun scene was when Chappie acquires a Nissan GTR, there is plenty of fun and serious moments, the movie is quite well paced.

Recommended watch.
  • Why didn't Chappie do better? As soon as someone says Jar Jar you can't get it out your head.
  • I assume it was part the name and part the advertising.
  • Also: Nightcrawler. Again. Just as much fun the second time, especially watching it with someone who hadn't seen it yet.
  • I didn't really like the ending to that movie.
  • sK0pe said:

Jupiter Ascending
    Such a letdown for such an amazing universe. Felt as if this story had no dips, there was a consistent action through out the film. The movie felt like 2 or 3 films with all character building and development removed, leaving only action scenes.

The movie's scope was extremely epic but there was no pacing to develop characters. It felt as if the story was messed with heavily after being written.

Also wasn't a fan of Mila Kunis's depiction or maybe the dialogue she was given. Channing Tatum was the most uninspiring character and actor I've seen based on this movie. Real let down after Cloud Atlas from the Watchowskis.

The main problem with Jupiter Ascending is that it has all the flaws of epic space operas, but it didn't have enough time to let the good bits grow on you to outweigh the bad bits.

Overall, it was all the ridiculous nonsense of the first 3 Star Wars films rammed into one movie. Density of inanity was too great and it fell apart.
  • edited July 2015
    Inside Out was very enjoyable. Need to think about it more before intelligently explaining why I liked it so much, but that's my first take.

Also, the short film the showed in from of it, Lava, was gorgeous and charming. It is a musical about two volcanoes who fall in love.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • sK0pe said:

Jupiter Ascending

The main problem with Jupiter Ascending is that it has all the flaws of epic space operas, but it didn't have enough time to let the good bits grow on you to outweigh the bad bits.

Overall, it was all the ridiculous nonsense of the first 3 Star Wars films rammed into one movie. Density of inanity was too great and it fell apart.
    Yeah I completely agree.
    MATATAT said:

I didn't really like the ending to that movie.

How did you want to see the film end?

Why didn't Chappie do better? As soon as someone says Jar Jar you can't get it out your head.

I think Chappie was a far more probing film than Star Wars, I only know Jar Jar through pop culture references.
    Chappie's character evolved from young animal, to toddler, to rebellious teenager, self serving adult to simply being better than a human at humanity.
    I really liked the character. However I have a bias to enjoying sci-fi movies, I really like movies about AI themes.
  • I loved Chappie. I don't mind the plot holes and the MASSIVE tonal swings and dissonances between "baby robot grows up" and very gruesome viloence, but I understand others can't overlook that.

I think they actually toned down the violence at one point. The script makes much more sense if Chappie stabs the policeman after robbing the truck, rather than just robbing the truck. I think they edited that part out because it was a step too far to take Chappie and still have the audience go along with him. I'd like to see the version where they leave that in.
  • The script makes much more sense if Chappie stabs the policeman after robbing the truck, rather than just robbing the truck. I think they edited that part out because it was a step too far to take Chappie and still have the audience go along with him. I'd like to see the version where they leave that in.

I completely agree with this.
  • sK0pe said:

MATATAT said:

I didn't really like the ending to that movie.

How did you want to see the film end?
    I'm all for antiheroes, but Gyllenhaal's character was just like an extreme sociopath that basically had no consequences to any of his actions. I guess it wasn't so much the ending as like the whole movie just felt really off to me. Performances were really good and the plot was pretty good. I don't know how to describe it, but the movie just wasn't vibing with me.
  • MATATAT said:

I'm all for antiheroes, but Gyllenhaal's character was just like an extreme sociopath that basically had no consequences to any of his actions. I guess it wasn't so much the ending as like the whole movie just felt really off to me. Performances were really good and the plot was pretty good. I don't know how to describe it, but the movie just wasn't vibing with me.

I much prefer a movie like Nightcrawler with the end it has than a movie like The Godfather with the ending it has. When watching bad people do bad things, I want them to be interesting bad people doing interesting bad things, despite if I want them to face consequences or not.

Nightcrawler earned its ending. Rene Russo's line at the end, something like:

"You're beginning to sound like Lou."

"We can all learn something from Lou."

The story is ABOUT that sociopathy seeping into other people. It does. It is acknowledged. We see it will continue in the future, powered by things like racist local news stations.
  • MATATAT said:

I much prefer a movie like Nightcrawler with the end it has than a movie like The Godfather with the ending it has. When watching bad people do bad things, I want them to be interesting bad people doing interesting bad things, despite if I want them to face consequences or not.

Nightcrawler earned its ending. Rene Russo's line at the end, something like:

"You're beginning to sound like Lou."

"We can all learn something from Lou."

The story is ABOUT that sociopathy seeping into other people. It does. It is acknowledged. We see it will continue in the future, powered by things like racist local news stations.
    Nightcrawler is "Ethics in Journalism" starring Patrick Bateman. The movie is pretty fucking amazing that way. I was debating what was a more terrifying ending between this and Gone Girl. Gone Girl is a more haunting isolated incident that makes great commentary about the media and gender roles, but Nightcrawler really encapsulates everything that is wrong with sensationalist media.

Lou is the perfect type of a sociopath for that field because he can excel without the need for dignity, empathy, or even emotion towards others. The film's ending is so deserved because of how the protagonist comes out of the situation, it details wonderfully how a piece of shit like him can succeed in America's "Pull Yourself From Your Bootstraps/Self Made Man" mentality.
  • Ghostbusters. I've not seen this movie for maybe 20 years. Some of it holds up, but Billy Murray comes of as the creepiest thing in a movie about ghosts. I'm so glad there is a remake in the works, as it'll be really hard to be as misogynistic as the original.
  • Ghostbusters. I've not seen this movie for maybe 20 years. Some of it holds up, but Billy Murray comes of as the creepiest thing in a movie about ghosts. I'm so glad there is a remake in the works, as it'll be really hard to be as misogynistic as the original.

Try Meatballs.