This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• I am very aware of that movie, and I believe it is also on Hulu.
  • I love me some Zatoichi! You're spot on about it. I haven't seen all of them myself, I might have to set up a marathon of the ones I haven't seen yet!
  • The Good Dinosaur - Pixar's most mediocre movie ever. Incredibly stunning visuals as usual, but it has the most basic story structure and characters Pixar has ever made. It doesn't necessarily do anything bad, but it is exactly what the trailers say it is without any variation. I was incredibly bored simply because Arlo and Spot are really uncompelling. Pales hard in comparison to Inside Out. Especially when the film sells itself so hard on what if the meteor missed the dinosaurs and it's the most barebones Western/Survival story possible.

Creed - Now this movie was incredible. Like Mad Max: Fury Road, this is how you make a nostalgic movie that reinvigorates a franchise while paying respect to it at the same time. The tone is very grounded and down-to-Earth the original Rocky, but it can be clever with modern technology and commentary on sports. I honestly think Sylvester Stallone will win Best Supporting Actor for playing this aged, more vulnerable side of Rocky. In my Top 5 of the year.
  • Speaking of little-known Japanese movies, has anyone seen the Yakuza Papers: Battles Without Honor and Humanity? I haven't seen them myself, but I've heard them compared favorably to the Godfather in terms of being the best Japanese gangster movies ever made. They've been out of print for years, but I saw that a new box set was just released.

Battles Without Honor and Humanity: The Complete Collection
  • Ant-Man
    Man I was not expecting this movie to be as funny and delightful as it was.
    There were also some tongue in cheek casting going on, great TV show actors grabbed for a funny super hero film. Using the notorious "bad guys" from Boardwalk Empire and The Wire as the good guy cops was great.

The caricatures being acted out were purposely over the top and great thematically and a break from what is expected by the audience in a super hero or action film.

Not ground breaking but refreshing. However I would say it's up there with Ironman as one of the top tier Marvel movies.

This was way more fun to watch than Guardians of the Galaxy.

Like Guardians of the Galaxy, the work had to be taken as humorous to convey the story and relied on the actors from pulling off the delivery, letting the special effects do the rest, very well executed while being true to the character.

I watched with my brother who has only really watched the movie Avengers stuff and he couldn't stop smiling and laughing when he's otherwise not impressed by super hero movies.
    Watching in a 5.1 setup on a projected or screen is recommended.

I did pick that they would make Evangeline Lilly the Wasp early in the movie basically off of her haircut.
    Also the Thomas the Tank Engine and huge ant in the middle of the fight were great.
  • Fight Club, as part of Juliane's and a friend's movie education. A modern classic. Should be seen by everyone trying to get into movies.
  • Jurassic World wasn't as bad as the anti-hype had me expect. It's the second best Jurassic Park movie after the original, but that's kinda damning with faint praise.
  • Mad Max Fury Road. Again. Because it was 2am on an 11 hour flight and I wanted something that would keep me up for a few more hours to help prime my body clock for a 5 hour time difference, and I didn't want to have to use my brain to enjoy it.
  • Jurassic World wasn't as bad as the anti-hype had me expect. It's the second best Jurassic Park movie after the original, but that's kinda damning with faint praise.

What!? Jurassic World was complete pants. "Everything wrong with Jurassic world" can list most of the reasons for me.
  • you can like stupid or dumb movies.
  • Cremlian said:

you can like stupid or dumb movies.

Yes, I agree. But not dis...not dis...
  • I didn't say it wasn't complete pants. I said it wasn't as bad as others had led me to believe. I even said I was damning it with faint praise.

It was a pleasantly fun but very dumb movie.
  • I didn't say it wasn't complete pants. I said it wasn't as bad as others had led me to believe. I even said I was damning it with faint praise.

IMO that's more credit than it deserves. Hence my first response.

World tries to do pretty much everything the first film does, and fails miserably. Even not comparing it to the first film, it has almost no redeeming qualities.
  • Dazzle369 said:

I didn't say it wasn't complete pants. I said it wasn't as bad as others had led me to believe. I even said I was damning it with faint praise.

World tries to do pretty much everything the first film does, and fails miserably. Even not comparing it to the first film, it has almost no redeeming qualities.
    But he's also comparing it to the other sequels. Lost World is trash and Park III is not-so-trash. I've know people who really despise Jurassic World, but people always forget about the forgotten, bad sequels. Like everyone is debating what's the best Rocky movie in the entire franchise now that Creed is out, but we all know the worst is easily Rocky V.
  • Dazzle369 said:

I didn't say it wasn't complete pants. I said it wasn't as bad as others had led me to believe. I even said I was damning it with faint praise.

There was a lot of anti-hype after the movie came out because of these reasons, but the Jurassic Park franchise is rocky. Lost World is trash and Part III is not-as-trash. People often forget about bad sequels after enough time. World is mostly viewed I as a disappointment, but not worst film of the year bad.
  • While Jurassic World is perhaps better than II and III, its sins are super transparent and you could effectively use the movie as a primer on everything that is wrong with modern Hollywood.
  • I watched The Terminator recently.
  • I watched The Terminator recently.

Hey me too.
  • You pair should do something together about it.
  • I liked Jurassic 2 and 3.

If 1 =10
    2=7
    3=5
    world =1

Watched Dallas Buyers Club recently. Was ok. Had that Erin Brockovich feel to it
  • If 1 = 10 and 2 = 1 then:
    3 = 3
    4 = 4

I say that as someone who has watched 3 more than once by choice. 2 is by far the worst movie of all of them. By far.
  • Took a Disney cruise over Thanksgiving and they were playing new/recent movies in the theater non-stop, so I got to see two.

The Good Dinosaur has been accurately reviewed thus far. Stunning visuals matched with a one-track story. I agree that it can't hold a candle to Inside Out, but at the same time can't bring myself to call it anything close to bad. We had a very good time watching it. I appreciate it on another level, too, because my daughter had been in a phase where she was getting scared of typical kid stuff, and us talking out what we saw in the movie had a noticeable affect on her behavior (overcame fear of swimming in ocean without holding onto us the very next day).

Bridge of Spies felt like a necessary movie at this point in history, where we are all about making other people out to be bad guys. True story about overcoming differences in the cold war, with some interesting spy stuff and predictably good Tom Hanks acting to back it up.

• I continue to watch all the Zatoichi movies. I just saw the seventh one entitled "Zatoichi's Flashing Sword".

Of the seven I've seen, this is definitely one of, if not the best. It's truly a cut above the rest.
  • The Terminator.
  • Shaun the Sheep is very good, as expected from the Aardman animation studio. It's not as good as Curse of the Wererabbit and other Aardman features, but still worth watching. And it's definitely aimed at a very young audience. It's a children's movie, not a family movie.
  • Also Mad Max: Fury Road on another two overnight flights.
  • I do need to watch Fury Road again.
  • I might have watched it on four flights in total this year.

Also, Star Wars: The Force Awakens is a good movie. Very good, in some aspects, plenty enough to cover any negatives it has.
  • You'll never guess what I just watched.

(It's the fucking Terminator. Again.)
  • Inside Out
    Wow, I really enjoyed this film. This is probably second to Toy Story in my ranking of Pixar films. As an aside I really enjoyed how well the film makers were able to explain abstract and sometimes complex understanding of how memory works (or is postulated to work).
    Maybe the only thing that I was slightly irritated by was getting Joy and Sadness back from each of the core memory islands, although it was only moments, I can't determine how to improve this portion of the story without disturbing many other positive elements.

I'll definitely re-watch this and buy it.