This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• Seth Rogan has such gorgeous doe-eyes.
    Seth Rogan? Really? I would much rather choose Jay Chou. Seth Rogan is a chubby frat-boy-looking guy.
  • edited February 2011
    Helen Mirren agrees with me,for what that is worth.
    Who brings in the money and who doesn't that's what drives the industry.
    Not entirely. It is partially a chicken-or-the-egg scenario.
    Part of what is skewing it is, as I said originally, I am discussing the films that are most advertised.
    I honestly like movies like that, but The Expendables was just "blah" to me. It could have been just fine with less of the "bad asses" of action and just a few of them.
    I guess my tastes are changing, but I still enjoy the action movies I grew up with. I also don't pay attention anymore to movie trailers or what movies are coming out as much, so whenever I see a movie poster I think, "Huh. A sequel to this, or that's a movie coming out?"
    I'm also sick of 3D.
    I like action movies, too, but it isn't exclusively action movies I am talking about. I also mean gross-out humor, gross-out horror, misogynistic sexual comedies, etc. I love action, comedy, and horror films - and I do enjoy some really crap films from varying genres. My point is that it seems the crap seems to scream so loudly that it is difficult to notice anything else.
    I guess my gripe is that it is sometimes impossible to find a mainstream film (marketed to men or women) that passes the Bechdel Test. I think the film industry underestimates young men when they assume that all they want is explosions, puke, and T&A; - not that those can't be good/entertaining, but they aren't the only entertaining thing out there.
    Helen Mirren agrees with me,for what that is worth.
    Oh, don't get me wrong. Hollywood totally tries to appeal to males more often than females. I concur. However, I disagree that this is gettingworse.

Really, if you take into account the independent and foreign film markets - which are still a small segment, yes, but which are always growing - I think the field is pretty ripe with good stuff.

It might be a byproduct of the fact that these action movies have ridiculously obnoxious trailers, too.
    Also, it may not have gotten much worse than it was five years ago, but the movie industry has skewed that way fairly steadily since the 70's. Complex female characters used to bring in huge box offices and made the careers of Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Kathrine Hepburn, etc.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Seth Rogan is a chubby frat-boy-looking guy.
    I've enjoyed Set Rogan in all of his early work (Freaks and Geeks, Undeclared, 40 year old virgin, and a few others I'm blanking on right now) I always had a weird man crush on him :-p I haven't seen his new stuff and I figure he's probably getting over exposed these days....
    Seth Rogan? Really? I would much rather choose Jay Chou. Seth Rogan is a chubby frat-boy-looking guy.
    Different strokes. He does have nice eyes.
  • I watched Predators. It was okay. Better than I expected, and probably the second best of any movie with a Predator in it. I personally think I could make a better Predator movie, but that's just my own high opinions of my non-existent movie making skills.
  • I personally think I could make a better Predator movie, but that's just my own high opinions of my non-existent movie making skills.
    Somehow I think juggling would be involved in defeating the Predator ^_^
  • I personally think I could make a better Predator movie, but that's just my own high opinions of my non-existent movie making skills.
    Somehow I think juggling would be involved in defeating the Predator ^_^
    No more than continually typing "then" when you mean "than" would defeat them in your movie.
  • I love Mars Attacks.
  • I loveMars Attacks.
    So do I.

ACK ACK! ACK ACK!
    That's my type though.
  • Finally got BD playback working, so been watching some BDs now that I can again. Mostly series, but four movies
    OldBoy - It's a very good version of every Korean drama movie ever.
    Derailed - Hahah hah... Well, it's Van Damme, you get what you expect.
    Shawshank Redemption - You've all probably seen it before. It's good.
    Gundam 00 Trailblazer - Awesome action. Nothing else, but that's ok, TBH
  • edited February 2011
    I watched Nicolas and Alexandra again yesterday. I adore that film.
    On this viewing I noticed that every major character at one point or another does "crazy eyes." Obviously, Rasputin always has crazy eyes, but the rest of the cast utilizes them with surprising frequency. Once I noticed it, I couldn't stop noticing it. I think my next viewing will involve a "crazy eyes" drinking game (making Rasputin an exception, because that would just lead to alcohol poisoning).
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit this but I just watched the throw-away teenage comedy Easy A and actually enjoyed it. And I don't usually like comedies.

Other recent watches have included Despicable Me, Superman/Batman: Public Enemies and The Social Network.
  • I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit this but I just watched the throw-away teenage comedy Easy A and actually enjoyed it. And I don't usually like comedies.
    I liked Easy A, too.
  • Easy A was more than the average shitty teen comedy. The evidence? Stanley Tucci.
  • Easy Awas more than the average shitty teen comedy. The evidence? Stanley Tucci.
    QFT

Batman Begins was actually really good.
  • Batman Begins was actually really good.
    Was there ever any doubt? The only bad thing about it was the CG which is just a little below par.
  • I watched Small Town Gay Bar and it was a lot more gross than I expected.

And boring.
  • Machete... FUCK YEAH!!!

If you liked Black Dynamite, you'll like this movie.
  • I saw within this week:
    cannibal the musical. A great start to promising career of the great Tray Parker, as well as a beautiful musical based on the true story of a miner and his horse.

A boy and his dog. Now I may check off seeing every single inspiration for Fallout.

Dead Birds. Disappointed by the prospects of Western/horror being wasted. AGAIN!

I just wish I could find a cosmic horror based on a western/farm setting that is good.
  • I just wish I could find a cosmic horror based on a western/farm setting that is good.
    Try this.

More Info
  • naw dawg. Just naw.

Gimme something like Cthulhu on the prairies, or Alternate plains of being within the bottle of moonshine. I know how hard that is to ask, let alone exist but its what I want.
  • A boy and his dog. Now I may check off seeing every single inspiration for Fallout.
    How was it? I heard some interesting things about it but I got a bit bored watching the beginning 10 minutes and had other pressings things to do so I stopped watching. I might watch it again properly some time in the future.
  • A boy and his dog. Now I may check off seeing every single inspiration for Fallout.
    How was it? I heard some interesting things about it but I got a bit bored watching the beginning 10 minutes and had other pressings things to do so I stopped watching. I might watch it again properly some time in the future.
    Really? I got bored in the middle right around the night time scenes, but in all its a great movie and a better read. Mad Max 0.5 and Pleasant ville 2.0
  • edited February 2011
    naw dawg. Just naw.

Gimme something like Cthulhu on the prairies, or Alternate plains of being within the bottle of moonshine. I know how hard that is to ask, let alone exist but its what I want.
    That's basically the Deadlands RPG setting.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • So, I think I saw this movie, though I'm not too sure if I just imagined the whole thing. Cause, according to many trusted FRCF peeps, this movie does not actually exist. Anyway, my delusion has led me to believe that this movie-that-shall-not-be-named is pretty damn bad. My expectations were pretty low though, so my reaction wasn't quite as negative as others' were. Still, it is bad, bad, bad. I wish to return from this horrible nightmare back to the wonderful animated version that I love so much.
  • edited February 2011
    Casablanca.
    I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I've seen it a long time ago, but I'm going to watch it again.

"The Sting" is finally on Netflix Streaming. If you haven't seen it, watch it now.
  • OzOz
    edited February 2011
    Last night, I saw Near Dark, a western vampire movie, at a local theatre played using a 35 millimeter camera. It was actually pretty good. There was a nice plot, good effects (for '87), and some pretty funny parts (When Homer (the little kid vampire) blew up. ) It was supposed to be a horror, but the only scary part was when (The main character had a blood transfusion. Needles are just too much for me.)
    Post edited by Oz on
  • Last night, I sawNear Dark, a western vampire movie, at a local theatre played using a 35 millimeter camera. It was actually pretty good. There was a nice plot, good effects (for '87), and some pretty funny parts (When Homer (the little kid vampire) blew up.) It was supposed to be a horror, but the only scary part was when (The main character had a blood transfusion. Needles are just too much for me.)
    I remember watching this about 15 years ago. I can't remember it being any good. The only thing that stuck out was the idea of de-converting a vampire by a full blood transfusion. I've not seen that idea in any other film, but like it, and thought it was wasted in such an otherwise forgettable movie.