This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• I liked Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Sure it had problems with it, but it seriously isn't as bad as everyone says it is. Sure Shia LeBouf isn't that good of an actor and the scene with the monkeys is really bad, but the movie is rather enjoyable.
  • edited February 2011
    but it seriously isn't as bad as everyone says it is
    To date, it is the only Indiana Jones movie to pierce my suspension of disbelief. The refrigerator? The iron powder? Fucking aliens?

No, Nazis being melted by the Ark of the Convenant is more plausible than the travesty that was Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Also, Shia LeBouf really needs to not be making movies.

The best scene was the brawl at the malt shop, because it involves Shia LeBouf getting punched.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I liked Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Sure it had problems with it, but it seriously isn't as bad as everyone says it is. Sure Shia LeBouf isn't that good of an actor and the scene with the monkeys is really bad, but the movie is rather enjoyable.
    I agree. It gets too much shit. It was fun. It went in a direction that it should have gone. I liked the fact that it had aliens. I do think instead of Shia maybe we should have had Leo. But then we would have to lose Marion cause Leo would be to old to be her son... But I didnt like her in the film either.
  • To date, it is the only Indiana Jones movie to pierce my suspension of disbelief. The refrigerator? The iron powder? Fucking aliens?
    Understand, the original 3 Indiana Jones films were based off of the adventure serials of the time which were full of content that was very similar to the content of the films. Namely, high adventure. When moving the time period of the movies to the 50's, you need to keep in mind what was popular at that time, space and aliens. The aliens actually work when you understand what Lucas and Spielberg were going for when making the first few Indy movies.

That being said, the refrigerator was really bizarre. I must have a crazy high suspension of disbelief, because none of the things you mentioned really brought me out of the movie.
  • The main problem with Shia LeBouf is that they really tried to push him as a celebrity and he totally isn't one. He doesn't have the charisma or movie status.
  • because none of the things you mentioned really brought me out of the movie.
    Total lack of consistency. If that device could attract iron from that distance, why didn't it grab any other metal objects too? Why didn't it magnetize everything in the room?
  • There will be a fifth Indiana Jones move. Mark my words.
  • There will be a fifth Indiana Jones move. Mark my words.
    Inside info?
  • edited February 2011
    There will might be a fifth fourth Indiana Jones move. Mark my words.
    Also, Sean Connery is what puts the third Indiana Jones movie above the first.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Tonight I watched Moon. It was remarkably average for a science fiction movie. Average meaning the good and the stupid canceled each other out, to leave me with a "meh" feeling.
    What did you find stupid about it?
  • Tonight I watched Moon. It was remarkably average for a science fiction movie. Average meaning the good and the stupid canceled each other out, to leave me with a "meh" feeling.
    What did you find stupid about it?
    The entire conspiracy.
  • The conspiracy was predictable, but I wouldn't call it stupid. It is just a movie after all.
  • Just watched Freakanomics on Netflix streaming and it's AWESOME just like the book! The diffrent segments are directed by diffrent documentary supahstahs like Rachel "Jesus Camp" Grady, Eugene "Why We Fight" Jarecki, Alex "The Smartest Guys in the Room" Gibney, and Morgan "Super Size Me" Spurlock.
  • The conspiracy was predictable, but I wouldn't call it stupid. It is just a movie after all.
    Which is why, if I want good stories and entertainment, I read books. That plot would never get by an editor if it was in a book. The editor would say "Look, do you know how much it costs to lift anything to the moon? The ping pong table for one person? That would never make it. The leather arm chair? That would cost far too much to lift. The secret basement? What the hell? Go back and rewrite this shit."

For example, it MIGHT make sense if the main character had some kind of amazing ability that nobody else could possible possess or be trained to do, and only he could fulfill his role on the moon. But no, all he does is deliver tanks of helium from the mining robots back to Earth. The robot in the movie could do his job better and cheaper than he could. Especially if, as we find out, if something needs repairing they can send a team within hours.
  • Just watched Frozen yesterday about some idiot college students who get trapped on a ski lift after hours. It was more interesting that I thought it would, though it was only worth a watch because it is available on Netflix streaming.
    Especially if, as we find out, if something needs repairing they can send a team within hours.
    I'll agree with you on this part. Prior to this one could assume it was all a money saving venture because sending new workers would be too expensive, but that kind of goes out the window once the repair crew arrives so promptly. But one could argue that the "repair crew" was really a fail-safe put in place to rectify any problems with the clones and that this was the first time they've ever been dispatched.

Aside from all that, some movies can hold their own on visuals and atmosphere and I think Moon is one of those movies. I don't think people watch Blade Runner for the story, it's all about the visuals (and the soundtrack).
  • Aside from all that, some movies can hold their own on visuals and atmosphere and I think Moon is one of those movies.
    Visuals? Pretty good. Atmosphere? Not so much. It's cliche to have the robot/computer turn against you, but the way the film went was another "easy out" for the story writers. I really enjoyed the performances by Sam Rockwell though! I wish it would have been exactly the same set and actors, but with a better thought out story. Even Kevin Spacey's voice as the robot, while annoying at first, added to the tone.
  • Aside from all that, some movies can hold their own on visuals and atmosphere and I think Moon is one of those movies.
    Visuals? Pretty good. Atmosphere? Not so much. It's cliche to have the robot/computer turn against you, but the way the film went was another "easy out" for the story writers. I really enjoyed the performances by Sam Rockwell though! I wish it would have been exactly the same set and actors, but with a better thought out story. Even Kevin Spacey's voice as the robot, while annoying at first, added to the tone.
    I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one.
    Which is why, if I want good stories and entertainment, I read books. That plot would never get by an editor if it was in a book. The editor would say "Look, do you know how much it costs to lift anything to the moon? The ping pong table for one person? That would never make it. The leather arm chair? That would cost far too much to lift. The secret basement? What the hell? Go back and rewrite this shit."

For example, it MIGHT make sense if the main character had some kind of amazing ability that nobody else could possible possess or be trained to do, and only he could fulfill his role on the moon. But no, all he does is deliver tanks of helium from the mining robots back to Earth. The robot in the movie could do his job better and cheaper than he could. Especially if, as we find out, if something needs repairing they can send a team within hours.
    We don't know what kind of space travel they have. I mean they are mining the moon for engery. For all we know they have a space elevator or use a mag cannon. It could cost pennies on the pound to get shit into the atmostphere.
  • Gravitic drives all up in here.
  • They use the force and shit.
  • They use the force and shit.
    I want to write a scifi story where a character asks how an Inertialess Drive works, and the renegade anti-hero captain handwaves it by going "They manipulate forces and shit."
  • We don't know what kind of space travel they have. I mean they are mining the moon for engery. For all we know they have a space elevator or use a mag cannon. It could cost pennies on the pound to get shit into the atmostphere.
    If you are happy to make excuses for the movie that are flawed at the same level as the failings of the movie itself, this movie is for you. If it made your brain engage at a level that said "Hey, wait a moment, what if...?" and you UNDERSTAND the problems, I might take your opinions seriously.

To be clear: Get a clue, moron.
  • We don't know what kind of space travel they have. I mean they are mining the moon for engery. For all we know they have a space elevator or use a mag cannon. It could cost pennies on the pound to get shit into the atmostphere.
    If you are happy to make excuses for the movie that are flawed at the same level as the failings of the movie itself, this movie is for you. If it made your brain engage at a level that said "Hey, wait a moment, what if...?" and you UNDERSTAND the problems, I might take your opinions seriously.

To be clear: Get a clue, moron.
    They never said they were using solid booster rockets. I know all about the cost of shipping to the moon. It is one of the plot points in one of my favorite novels, "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress." But thanks for assuming I am stupid. And It is a movie!!! When you saw Star Wars were you like, "Aw man they can't go into hyperspace! You can't exceed the speed of light!" No you either took it as movie or you thought maybe they have the tech to do it. They didn't say that they have the ability to ship to the moon cheaply, but the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Both of my suggestions are valid. If we are at a point in time where it is feasible to mine the moon for energy and ship it back to earth then we must have also made significant advances in space travel.
  • True Grit is pretty gritty!
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lofstrom_loop
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator

Both could happen by the time we are mining the moon. And it would make much more sense for things to be underground if we are having extended stay colonization on the moon. See there is the stuff called radation and it is bad. Also there are many many many metor strikes on the moon. It would be much safer underground.
  • I do agree with you that it would be much more cost effective if there was no human involvement. We would not need food, water or oxygen shipped there. We would not have to maintain atmospheric pressure. But it would still be better if the majority of the base was underground. Hell if it went deep enough just leave the walls bare rock.
  • I am watching Ladies and Gentlemen the Fabulous Stains. So far so good.
  • Stains was really good. Started Hounddog. Dont know if this is a good idea...
  • @CaptainTim How did The Runaways turn out to be?