This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

5 days in Japan

edited December 2009 in Everything Else
After an upcoming gig I'm thinking of breaking up my flight home with a trip to Japan. So tell me, if you had 5 days in Japan, what would you want to do and see?

Comments

• Hmm...Tokyo, obviously? Visit that famous video game district that supposedly has, like, everything? What else...Ride on trains, see the Japanese countryside, play DDR and get served by some Japanese kid...You know, the basics.
  • If I were going, I would spend 2 days in Tokyo (with a large portion of one day being spent in Akihabara), a day in Kyoto to see some castles, and two days at Tokyo Disneyland (come on, you have to have seen this one coming).
  • If I were going, I would spend 2 days in Tokyo (with a large portion of one day being spent in Akihabara), a day in Kyoto to see some castles, and two days at Tokyo Disneyland (come on, you have to have seen this one coming).
    Visiting the Tokyo Tower is not a bad idea either.
  • I would spend at least one day consuming as much Japanese seafood as humanly possible.

No, I am not kidding.
  • If I only had 5 days, I'd want to spend most of my time visiting Kyoto and Osaka, get to see all the old stuff and the great scenery. I'm sure Tokyo is a great place to go and all, but I don't care that much about shopping, and I know it would be hard for me to get around easily with my large frame.
  • What I want to see most around the world are old things. Living in the US, you can't see very much that is older than the 18th or 17th centuries unless you are in a museum. The only time I've ever seen really old stuff was when I went to Israel in the year 2000.
  • I spend it in Akihabara for the otakuness, Kabukicho for the host clubs, Harajuku for shopping, and anywhere for clubbing or to catch a show.
  • I'm with Scott on this one. I would love to go check out some old temples in Japan.
  • Climb Mount Fuji and take amazing pictures of the Japanese country side.
  • Climb Mount Fuji and take amazing pictures of the Japanese country side.
    Isn't it woman up there?
  • edited December 2009
    Isn't it woman up there?
    Only if you're a little bitch.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Isn't it woman up there?
    Only if you're a little bitch.
    Well not everyone is a yeti, Andrew.
    If I ever meet a yeti that sounds THAT MUCH like Cliff from Cheers, I would give him a hug and buy him a beer.

And yes I know its the same guy.

Anyhow, If I was in japan, I'd make sure to rent a nice car and try to find a street race somewhere.
    Tokyo Tower is a terrible idea. If anime has taught me anything, that sucker is some sort of inter-dimensional gateway for every goddamned evil in every dimension, with the possible exception of Magic Knight Rayearth, in which case you're be annoyed by a fat rabbit that doesn't say anything but "Puu!". AVOID.
    Tokyo Tower is a terrible idea. If anime has taught me anything, that sucker is some sort of inter-dimensional gateway for every goddamned evil in every dimension, with the possible exception of Magic Knight Rayearth, in which case you're be annoyed by a fat rabbit that doesn't say anything but "Puu!". AVOID.
    Yea, but if you've always been looking for that inter-dimensional gateway (one that might give you power's like being stronger the less drunk you are) your % chance is marginally higher due to all the stories written about it that one might open up (or you blow up)
  • edited December 2009
    Japan is great for all that's old and new. 2 days in Tokyo should be enough to get the basics. Akihabara, Shinjuku, Shibuya and Harajuku are probably the major spots to visit within the city. For great views of the city head to the Metropolitan towers in Shinjuku or Mori tower in Roppongi (the latter is better in my opinion). You could also try for the imperial palace and any number of shrines and temples scattered around, particularly those at Asakusa.

It's a bit further out (about 20 mins from Shimbashi, 800Y one way) but the museum of emerging science is very cool but you could probably miss it if you're on a tight schedule.

I'd also recommend a day trip out to Kamakura to see the temple and big Buddha. It's very peaceful.

If you can manage it Osaka and Kyoto are also very worthwhile.
    Post edited by my quay on
  • edited December 2009
    I'd go visit the temples and such and all that stuff. But I'd also go eat at all the small joints I could, buy the most evil, fucked up, weird ass hentai mangas I could find (to keep on my coffee table for visitors) and their model, busts, statues counterparts for decoration. I'd also try to be part of the audience on a Japanese game show. Buy trinkets, good luck charms, and shit with Japanese flare you can use in your act.

EDIT: You are forgetting Tokyo Tower + Krauser
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • I'd also recommend a day trip out to Kamakura to see the temple and big Buddha. It's very peaceful.
    I used to live a few stops away from Kamakura. Definitely worth a visit and, if you're after cheap electronics, Yokohama (nearby) is usually cheaper than Tokyo if you go to places like Big Camera.
  • If you can, try to go to the Tezuka Museum :P
  • edited December 2009
    Not to mention its unnatural tendency to attract all means of supernatural forces, giant robots, giant monsters, final battles, and then eventually blow up.

Anyway, I would want to see Tokyo, since I love things urban. I would also want to see Kyoto, since I love things pretty and historical.
    Post edited by loltsundere on
  • I used to live a few stops away from Kamakura. Definitely worth a visit and, if you're after cheap electronics, Yokohama (nearby) is usually cheaper than Tokyo if you go to places like Big Camera.
    I would listen to anything Om has to say on the issue, as at this point I firmly believe he's a small Japanese man in a very, very good disguise.
  • Thanks forum, I knew this would be a good place to ask.
  • Thanks forum, I knew this would be a good place to ask.
    You thought otherwise why :P
  • What I want to see most around the world are old things. Living in the US, you can't see very much that is older than the 18th or 17th centuries unless you are in a museum. The only time I've ever seen really old stuff was when I went to Israel in the year 2000.
    Why America sucks.
    Why America sucks.
    You suck! :P
  • Why America sucks.
    I agree. It really sucks to have new infrastructure, straight freeways, modern water and sewage systems, planned street grids, modern HVAC, and all that other new stuff.
  • Why America sucks.
    I agree. It really sucks to have new infrastructure, straight freeways, modern water and sewage systems, planned street grids, modern HVAC, and all that other new stuff.
    Not to mention the natural splendor, relatively cheap travel, and a variety of cultures that mostly speak the same language.
  • I agree. It really sucks to have new infrastructure, straight freeways, modern water and sewage systems, planned street grids, modern HVAC, and all that other new stuff.
    Ha, the sad thing is that the places with the old stuff also have newer stuff. Sure, our infrastructure is relatively modern, but much of it is still multiple decades old. Europe and Japan both have older castles and things than we do, but they also have better trains, wireless, etc. Just about the only thing in our infrastructure that is better than other people is roads.
  • I live in the middle of nowhere so I enjoy going to large cities and Tokyo is one of the best. If you're only there 5 days I'd probably spend it all in either Tokyo or the Osaka area and not try to do both as there's lots of fun stuff.

I'm also with the food thing. Seriously, eat all you can and never the same thing twice while you're there.