This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

5 days in Japan

2»

Comments

• edited August 2010
    So looks like I will be sent to Japan and Guam in December at some point. I've never even been out of the country, but have always wanted to go to a place like Japan. The old guys on my team all shirked the responsibility to me, thinking it would be a burden to have to fly all the way out there. I couldn't disagree more.

So in any case, I have the flexibility to book my flight for whatever days I want, as long as I pay for my expenses out there on days I'm not working. Have NO idea how long I will wind up going for. I know I definitely want to eat good food and see some history. What I really need help with is knowing where I can buy cool shit. I'm talking video games and video game related merch, and nterested in both new and old but really would love to find a place to see/purchase retro stuff. Anyone know where I would start my search for something like this?

Also, Guam? Anyone ever been?

EDIT: Realized I forgot to say, I'll be just under an hour outside of Tokyo, so that city is definitely in the cards. Not sure how far from there I will wander but wouldn't be opposed to taking a 2-3 day excursion out to the south or north if there is a fantastic reason to do so. If not I'd rather spend the time seeing as much as possible rather than being in transit.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • edited August 2010
    EDIT: You are forgetting Tokyo Tower + Krauser
    Exactly. I think he'd be cool going to see it, on the off chance that Krauser-sama would be raping it that day.

I really don't have any advice. If I were going for a short trip, I'd want to see Akihabara and experience the cuisine, I suppose. If I was only going to be there for five days, it would be more important to me to see more metropolitan sights, and buy awesome Japanese products and food. Old stuff is awesome and important, but not for a short trip. Maybe you can get a good taste of both, though?

I've always really wanted to go to Japan. I saw Emily's panel at Connecticon, and it actually made me consider more fully how I was going to get there, what it was going to be like and what kind of work I would have to do to make it possible. I've done some research at local exchange programs, but it doesn't seem like I'll be able to find a trustworthy exchange program in my area. I'll be scheduling a meeting with my school counselor to see if there's any way I can spend a semester there, but I'm not sure it's going to work out. Either way, at least I can say I've tried!
    Post edited by Wings on
  • Also, Guam? Anyone ever been?
    I've been to Guam, but all I did was stay a night in a hotel, swim in the sea, then join a cruise ship later that day. I had flown in from europe over night, got to the hotel at 4am, had no sleep, and had to perform two hour-long shows that night! I must admit they weren't the greatest shows I'd ever done. One of the other entertainers was actually born on the island, but moved away when she was 8 years old, and she went exploring to find her old street and neighborhood. Otherwise I have nothing to add.
  • Eat some Fugu (Pufferfish); go to a public bath house; See Kyoto and Tokyo; visit a few museums ?
  • I've done some research at local exchange programs, but it doesn't seem like I'll be able to find a trustworthy exchange program in my area. I'll be scheduling a meeting with my school counselor to see if there's any way I can spend a semester there, but I'm not sure it's going to work out. Either way, at least I can say I've tried!
    AFS
    Youth for Understanding
  • I've done some research at local exchange programs, but it doesn't seem like I'll be able to find a trustworthy exchange program in my area. I'll be scheduling a meeting with my school counselor to see if there's any way I can spend a semester there, but I'm not sure it's going to work out. Either way, at least I can say I've tried!
    AFS
    Youth for Understanding
    Thanks so much! I couldn't remember off the top of my head any of the programs you had in your panel at CT-con, though I came upon AFS with a Google search. The trick now is convincing my mother that they aren't going to take our couple thousand dollars and use it to make me a sex slave in a country she's never heard of.
  • If I only had 5 days in Japan, I would spend them in Beppu. Then take the overnight ferry to Kansai International and jet out from there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beppu,_Ōita
  • If you are heading to Guam there is a rumor that there is a retro game store that kicks ass in the northern part of there. Believe it is under the "Play N Trade" name, if it is close you can check that out, otherwise can't help you.
  • Thanks so much! I couldn't remember off the top of my head any of the programs you had in your panel at CT-con, though I came upon AFS with a Google search. The trick now is convincing my mother that they aren't going to take our couple thousand dollars and use it to make me a sex slave in a country she's never heard of.
    *COUGH*BITTORRENT*COUGH*
  • If you're going to have any trouble with your mother, I can talk her through how the YFU does things.
  • Thanks so much! I couldn't remember off the top of my head any of the programs you had in your panel at CT-con, though I came upon AFS with a Google search. The trick now is convincing my mother that they aren't going to take our couple thousand dollars and use it to make me a sex slave in a country she's never heard of.
    Well, my Aunt and I can vouch for them at least. I spent my first year in Japan courtesy of AFS, and both my Aunt and Uncle were exchange students to Germany a few decades ago with Youth for Understanding. My family has been involved in both organizations and I can vouch for their credentials.

The Rotary Club is also a decent bet. They give scholarships sometimes too.
  • *COUGH*BITTORRENT*COUGH*
    Yes, Bittorrent? I know how to use it and do use it semi-frequently, but I'm not sure what the relevance is.
    If you're going to have any trouble with your mother, I can talk her through how the YFU does things.
    Well, my Aunt and I can vouch for them at least. I spent my first year in Japan courtesy of AFS, and both my Aunt and Uncle were exchange students to Germany a few decades ago with Youth for Understanding. My family has been involved in both organizations and I can vouch for their credentials.

The Rotary Club is also a decent bet. They give scholarships sometimes too.
    Thanks so much for the confirmation that these programs are legit, I'm going to ask my mother to do some research and consider them more.

I did some research on Rotary Club, and we do have a local chapter that participates and a friend of a friend DID go to Japan via Rotary, but some research uncovered that you don't get to definitively decide which country you will go to with Rotary. I don't mind WHERE in Japan I go, but if I sign up for Japan and end up somewhere else in South East Asia, it kind of defeats the purpose.