This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Sherlock Holmes: The Movie.

edited December 2009 in Movies
So, I just came back from a pre-screening of the movie, and I have to say that it has exceeded my expectations. I was at first worried that They were going to tack on fighting to a diluted version of the Sherlock Holmes character. But no, they picture the fight scenes in such a way that it magnified his thinking man persona, taking you through his thoughts before he executed his actions, while in slow motion, then showing you the scene at normal speed, this has been one of the best uses of slow motion IMHO. The plot has been done before, but the piecing together of the puzzle is great. I specially liked how Robert Downey Jr. Pranced around the stage, in a combination of pure madness and boundless wits. And last but not least, I loved the attire...I want those trench coats.

Overall, I would see this movie at least once more when it comes out on DVD.

Comments

• It's a Guy Richie movie with Robert Downey Jr. How could it possibly go wrong?
  • Robert Downey Jr is always good in what he plays in. Even if the movie is bad. Plus I've always enjoyed watching anything film related to Sherlock Holmes. From Data in StarTrek to Simon in the Chipmunks.
  • As an aside, it's abduction, not deduction Mr. Holmes.
  • Is it really that good? I have a hard time picturing Robert Downey Jr. as Sherlock Holmes.
  • From Data in StarTrek to Simon in the Chipmunks.
    Is that really your range for Holmes portrayals, or are you making a joke?

Jeremy Brett was the best Holmes.
  • I've been looking forward to this movie for a while. Although most people I told basically wrote it off because of Robert Downey Jr.
  • I've been looking forward to this movie for a while. Although most people I told basically wrote it off because of Robert Downey Jr.
    Why would they commit such a heinous atrocity as that? He's a great freaking actor!
  • edited December 2009
    It's a Guy Richie movie with Robert Downey Jr. How could it possibly go wrong?
    It's a Guy Ritchie movie, that is how.
    I am cautiously optimistic about this movie based one reviews I have heard. I certainly don't expect it to be anything like the books, but that is fine.
    Is it really that good? I have a hard time picturing Robert Downey Jr. as Sherlock Holmes.
    Don't go in expecting to see Sherlock Holmes as represented in the books, because this movie is not meant to be anything like the books from what I have read and seen.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Don't go in expecting to see Sherlock Holmes as represented in the books, because this movie is not meant to be anything like the books from what I have read and seen.
    It's far more action focused than the books, but it's quite faithful to them at the core of it.
  • It's a Guy Ritchie movie, that is how.
    Hey, Guy Richie movies are awesome!
  • edited December 2009
    It's a Guy Ritchie movie, that is how.
    Hey, Guy Richie movies are awesome!
    Seen any of his more recent films?
  • Seen any of his more recent films?
    Rockn'Rolla was a very enjoyable movie to watch.
  • Guy Ritchie films aren't always good, but they ARE always fun. (Except Swept Away of course)
  • I'm resigned to a film that isn't Sherlock Holmes, exactly, but will be an entertaining 128 minutes.
  • edited December 2009
    This is a picky fan boy reason, but I don't really like Robert Downey Jr. as Sherlock Holmes. Granted, he should be able to act like an addict pretty well, but I contend that he just isn't strange looking enough. My favorite incarnation of Sherlock Holmes is Jeremy Brett. He really nailed how Sherlock Holmes is supposed to act and look like. Just my opinion. Here's a picture if you don't know what he looks like.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • edited December 2009
    So I saw this today, on Christmas. I wanted to see the Princess and the Frog, but was overruled by relations. It may have been for the better, because I found it, while not a deep movie, a rather enjoyable romp with lots of pugilism in the face. Do you think Guy Richie likes bare knuckle boxing scenes? I think he likes bare knuckled boxing scenes. He also likes snark and mysteries and criminals. Like I said, don't go to the movie expecting Shakespeare, but if you want a pulp fest of a Victorian action movie, with EXCELLENT casting, I would say you ought to partake. I think that Robert Downey Jr. does a good take on Holmes, in that he plays him just fucked up enough, a rather neurotic misanthrope who is a bit closer (I think) to the spirit of the original Holmes.

Also, nobody would get this but the forum, but dude, I kept thinking of Rym and Scott, or at least the way their characters are portrayed on the Geeknights forum. Holmes is messy, cranky, and impolite in public, but as a team with the gentlemanly Watson he works very well. However, when Watson plans to move in with his fiance/girlfriend character, Holmes is super booed out and gets all jealous. Despite chicks rearranging their living plans, you know that they will keep on together, doing what they do best. Moreover, the whole thing is incredibly slashable. No, seriously.

Which reminds me, did any of you ever read Micheal Chabon's (Kavalier and Clay author) collection of essays, Maps and Legends? He has this essay about Sherlock Holmes and fan-fiction. I really recommend you read it. (It may change your impression of what constitutes fan-fiction, if all you have ever thought of the word referred to YAOIYAOIYAOI. The essay is more about inspiration and writing about your interests.)
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Also, nobody would get this but the forum, but dude, I kept thinking of Rym and Scott, or at least the way their characters are portrayed on the Geeknights forum. Holmes is messy, cranky, and impolite in public, but as a team with the gentlemanly Watson he works very well. However, when Watson plans to move in with his fiance/girlfriend character, Holmes is super booed out and gets all jealous. Despite chicks rearranging their living plans, you know that they will keep on together, doing what they do best. Moreover, the whole thing is incredibly slashable. No, seriously.
    I wonder if someone on this forum has written Rym/Scott fan-fiction. According to Rule 34 of the Internet, it must exist!!!
  • And it does! Numerous fan works are buried within the 26 pages of Why Rym and Scott are Gay epic thread.
  • This movie had everything I wanted and expected and still gave me more. This is one of my favorite Robert Downey Jr. performances. I was at first wondering if Jude Law was a good fit for Watson, but he proved me wrong. This is just one of those good, funny, action films with a Victorian backdrop. This is my thing completely!

Also, slash with that movie. I surprisingly didn't think that right away. Now that it's in my head...KYAH~!
  • edited December 2009
    My favorite film reviewer:
    Mark Kermode's Review of Sherlock Holmes (Scroll down the page to see the video, it is directly after the Avatar review).
  • edited December 2009
    This Mark Kermode is an alright guy.

I think their opinion of Antichrist is going to be my litmus test for film reviewers.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • I saw the movie earlier today, and I was a little surprised at how good it was. It never felt ridiculous or unrealistic (well maybe once or twice,) but the important plot and story things never felt not real. Which it seems like it could have easily done.
  • Just saw this movie, I thought it was awesome. Brilliant acting, fantastic music, wonderful writing. One of the best movies I've seen all year, definitely. I had no trouble following it, but the mysteries were nice.
  • edited December 2009
    I liked it quite a lot. I would say that it achieved what it set out to do, and very well at that.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I loved this movie. I was expecting it to be overly showy and crappy. Well, it was showy, but certainly not crappy. I had lots of fun watching.
    I haven't really read the books. How well do the characters match up?

This version, at least, has such an air of "heterosexual life partners." It was a fun dynamic, and I can see why Emily thought they were slashable.

As a side note, doesn't this belong in the movies forum?
  • I loved this movie. I was expecting it to be overly showy and crappy. Well, it was showy, but certainly not crappy. I had lots of fun watching.
    I haven't really read the books. How well do the characters match up?

This version, at least, has such an air of "heterosexual life partners." It was a fun dynamic, and I can see why Emily thought they were slashable.

As a side note, doesn't this belong in the movies forum?
    They are in fact very true to the characters, from Sherlock Holmes to Irene Adler. What impressed me the most was how Richie included reference to specific characteristics detailed in the books, which I thought was totally cool. I'm glad Holmes is starting to break free of the false image Basil Rathbone set for him.
  • Sorry bout' that, I changed the category.
  • Saw it the other day, it was basically a comicbook superhero movie, except the hero only has the power of super analysis.
  • Sorry to say, I was disappointed in the movie. It was marginal, about a 5 out of 10.

Things I didn't like:
    Most of the dialogue was weak or uninteresting.
    The audience has no idea what Holmes is thinking about most of the time, and you have no way of being led along with him as he figures things out until the last 15 minutes of the movie. Reminded me a bit of Angels & Demons where the guy solves everything, but with essentially magic knowledge that know one else, even in the story, is privy to.
    Some of the cuts, particularly the action cuts, were so fast and shaky I lost track of who was doing what.
    Bad edits. How the hell did Mary go from sewer ---> spiral staircase----> giant bridge?

Things I liked:
    The score was enjoyable.
    Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law did a good job considering mediocre material.
    The "world" was set up well.
    Initial fighty scenes were fun, but why didn't they use that fighting the big baddy at the end?

Basically, the movie had way more potential and didn't live up to any of the hype for me. Color me bummed out.