This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Pragmatic Rationalist Party

Comments

• How much is your heart set on the name? "Pragmatic Rationalist Party" is kind of a mouthful, especially when people don't know what one or more of those terms mean.
  • You could always abbreviate it to PR Party.
  • You could always abbreviate it to PR Party.
    That just seems a little too sleezy and Kevin07 to me, for more than one reason.
  • edited February 2010
    You could always abbreviate it to PR Party.
    That just seems a little too sleezy and Kevin07 to me, for more than one reason.
    That's why it was a joke.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • That's why it was a joke.
    I figured, but it still made my skin crawl a little.
  • edited March 2010
    Seems like someone beat you to the punch (sorta). The Coffee Party is now born.
    The Coffee Party Movement gives voice to Americans who want to see cooperation in government. We recognize that the federal government is not the enemy of the people, but the expression of our collective will, and that we must participate in the democratic process in order to address the challenges that we face as Americans. As voters and grassroots volunteers, we will support leaders who work toward positive solutions, and hold accountable those who obstruct them.
    I'm personally hopeful as I think the most important focus we need in politics these days are procedure reform platforms rather than specific stands on various issues.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Goal: World Peace
    How to get there:

option 1: kill everyone. While this would eventually lead to world peace I don't think anyone would say that the ends justifies the means.
    option 2: Get rid of all weapons of war. Not very likely because all it takes is one government to keep a secret supply of weapons and then they rule the world.
    option 3: Forced inter-marriage. Worked somewhat in the past with European royalty but even they still fought wars with each other. It is also very draconian.
    option 4: Arm everyone. Like option 2 above but in reverse. Not likely to work because it may lead to a partial version of option 1 if one group decides to go 'preemptive' on another.

Goal: Fix the American Education System
    How to get there:

option 1: Fire bad teachers. Tenure? How do you grade a teacher?
    option 2: Vouchers. Helps the kids but teacher's unions hate the idea. Why is the one in DC being abolished when it costs so little?
    option 3: Set national standards. Who sets them? What about dumb kids who can't keep up?

etc....

Setting goals is easy, deciding on the best path to get there? Not so much.
  • Seems like someone beat you to the punch (sorta).The Coffee Partyis now born.
    Hmmm...I love coffee...I love politics...

This is settled.
  • I enjoy both coffee and tea, but I don't enjoy crazy fundamentalism.
  • I enjoy both coffee and tea, but I don't enjoy crazy fundamentalism.
    Well, the Coffee Party doesn't seem to be crazy fundamentalism. More like grassroots centrists.
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah, and as such I'd be in favour of the Coffee Party, strongly against the Tea Party, but generally in favour of tea parties.
    However, I must also pragmatically oppose the dumping of perfectly good beverages, except when absolutely necessary.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Don't be so quick to call the Coffee Party 'grassroots'.
  • Realistically, there is no such thing as a purely grassroots movement.
  • Don't be so quick to call the Coffee Party'grassroots'.
    First hit being from Newsbusters sets off mad alarms.
    Realistically, there is no such thing as a purely grassroots movement.
    This.
  • edited March 2010
    Just because you do not like the source does not mean the facts it prints are wrong. Their opinions may be wrong but the facts are not.

The Enquirer got it right about John Edwards...
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • I know, I know.
  • Bumping this cuz I still have Pragmatic Rationalist listed as my political view on Facebook.
  • Delayed only by PAX.
  • Delayed only by PAX.
    ecommerce.
  • Delayed only by PAX everything else.
    FTFY.
  • 3. What suggestions do you have for the final name of the party? The working title is "The Pragmatic Rationalist Party."
    The party that actually gets it done, intelligently and scientifically
  • "Pragmatic Rationalist" says the important stuff, but it's too much of a mouthful and too impenetrable to, well, most of the electorate.

The key to broad appeal in a political party is to create an identity on to which people can project their own concerns and agendas. What's the real difference between "democratic" and "republican"? Not a damn thing to do with the issues the parties so named actually fight over, that's what.

Is the goal to create a small, passionate, dedicated, and entirely powerless fringe party which will only steal votes away from other generally liberal concerns? That's the only fate that I can picture for the "Pragmatic Rationalist Party" or any similarly-named group. Of course, in simple fact, no political party is ever going to threaten the Democratic/Republican duarchy until and unless there's some kind of massive sociopolitical upheaval... and I suppose you could do worse than to have a cadre in place to seize that moment if it arrives.

Still, I think looking for a more general, inspiring name that nevertheless appeals to a... certain type of person might be more fruitful. Perhaps the Better World Party? The Facts First Party? I don't know. Maybe we need to focus group this.
  • "The party to restore sanity" I'd join the Jon Stewart party.
  • "The party to restore sanity" I'd join the Jon Stewart party.
    John Stewart for president 2012!
  • I'm launching the party with an initial simple platform shortly after the election. The site's been up for some time, but I'm constantly re-writing the platform in an attempt to minimize personal issues from general issues.
  • I can find no pragmatic rationalist site on the net.
    I haven't linked to it anywhere.
    If a site is not linked to from anywhere, does it exist?
  • If a site is not linked to from anywhere, does it exist?
    Not according to Google! :P
    If a site is not linked to from anywhere, does it exist?
    Yes.