This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Pragmatic Rationalist Party

Comments

• I don't think "pragmatic" should be part of the party name since everyone considers their stupid views or beliefs to be fundamentally pragmatic regardless of whether they understand the meaning of the word.

I'd suggest using "science" or "scientific" somewhere in the title to replace "pragmatic" since that embodies largely how this side defines what is "rational".

Speaking of which I don't think you should use rational either because there's room for interpretation there too. Homeopathy is entirely rational to those whose thought processes are skewed enough to believe in it to begin with.

I realize my suggestions aren't helping since I'm not suggesting a better idea, only naysaying. Sorry.

Scientific and Critical Thinking Party?
  • Delayed only by PAX.
  • Delayed only by PAX.
    Prime. ;^)
  • Delayed only by PAX.
    Last year's PAX, to boot. Talk about shit-talking.
  • As long as PAX exists, Rym will not be doing this. That's what he's saying. :)
  • Prime. ;^)
    Which one? 2024?
  • As long as PAX exists, Rym will not be doing this. That's what he's saying. :)
    Maybe if he just straight up said he wasn't going to work on this any more in the foreseeable future, we wouldn't have a reason to call him out on it ~_^
  • Maybe if he just straight up said he wasn't going to work on this any more in the foreseeable future, we wouldn't have a reason to call him out on it ~_^
    Rym won't finish this, ever, because he loves getting attention. Every time we call him out on something, we just stroke the ego.

Being an incredibly self-absorbed and arrogant jackass myself, I understand how these things work. :P

To be honest, it's sort of awesome way up here, looking down at all you people.
  • To be honest, it's sort of awesome way up here, looking down at all you people.
    Err..
  • The pirate party is getting pretty good results in germany. They're current at about 12% which would give them seats in the german Bundestag in the upcoming election.
  • The whole system is rigged against a third party rising up in this country. Recent history shows that we get party change when a motivated interest group co-opts one of the existing parties. For example, the christian right and the Republican party and the civil rights movement and the Democratic party.
  • The whole system is rigged against a third party rising up in this country. Recent history shows that we get party change when a motivated interest group co-opts one of the existing parties. For example, the christian right and the Republican party and the civil rights movement and the Democratic party.
    The same strategy is used in Sanctuary, and I am convinced that now it is the winning strategy. Don't make your own party. Make a movement and co-opt an existing party.
    The same strategy is used in Sanctuary, and I am convinced that now it is the winning strategy. Don't make your own party. Make a movement and co-opt an existing party.
    I think the time is right for a group to co-opt the Democratic party since (excluding healthcare) they pretty much have run out of things they are motivated about changing. A lot of the party, especially the current politicians, seem to only play defense, not wanting to lose what the party has accomplished in the past.
  • The Rising Wind?
  • The Rising Wind?
    Isn't the main problem that the people who could make it happen have more interesting (or necessary) things to do? One could argue that we have the political system we have because most people find it "good enough."
  • The Rising Wind?
    Isn't the main problem that the people who could make it happen have more interesting (or necessary) things to do? One could argue that we have the political system we have because most people find it "good enough."
    Imagine starting a game of Monpoly. You get $100 instead of $1100. The other guy has every property on the board full of hotels, and all the trains, and $1,000,000 right from the start. Are you going to even try to win, or do you just quit before rolling the dice?

• Don't make your own party. Make a movement and co-opt an existing party.
    Or the wiser choice, move to Europe where we actually have democracy.
    But no money or jobs Greece and Spain. Or lack of freedom, UK! Or big time corruption Italy! Tell me which country in Europe doesn't have any major problems and I will move there.

But no money or jobs Greece and Spain. Or lack of freedom, UK! Or big time corruption Italy! Tell me which country in Europe doesn't have any major problems and I will move there.
    You forgot to mention the cold winters in northern Europe.

You forgot to mention the cold winters in northern Europe.
    Thanks for the catch!
  • What lack of freedom Scott?
  • What lack of freedom Scott?
    Netherlands censored Internet. Germany, no freedom of speech. UK police state. France, three strikes law.

In the US we get things like SOPA proposed, and we fight them off. In Europe every country seems to have at least one of these crazy things actually gone through into law.
  • UK is as much of a police state as us. It started with the Crime Control and Street Safety Act back in the '60s. Now we've got shit like the Patriot Act and the clause in the NDAA that lets them indefinitely detain us. If you can, move to England. Actually, if you can move to either Sweden or Finland, but those are harder to get into and have harsh winters.
  • The UK is a police state? In fact no, Im not going down this route.
  • The UK is a police state, but [most of] the police running said state do not have guns.
  • I wouldn't call it a police state. It has some bonkers laws and wants to make some more ones that are being stopped.
  • What do you mean? They [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] not to mention [REDACTED] [REDACTED] [REDACTED]!
  • Haha yeah we have bullshit and dumb stuff but people get die less so thats a plus in my book.
  • edited April 2012
    What lack of freedom Scott?
    Netherlands censored Internet. Germany, no freedom of speech. UK police state. France, three strikes law.
    The Netherlands has not censored the internet, we have no state-ISP, and no laws regarding the censoring of anything on the internet. The case you're talking about is still underway and not going to be a freaking law. Germany iunno, actual example sometime soon? The UK and France aren't worse than the US, not to mention access to the internet's a human right according to the UN.
    In the US we get things like SOPA proposed, and we fight them off. In Europe every country seems to have at least one of these crazy things actually gone through into law.
    Oh? Really? Patriot act? NDAA? How is PROTECT IP, SOPA's slightly smaller brother, doing? Don't know if that also was completely wiped off the table.

And in terms of fighting off shit, SOPA's EU cousin, ACTA, is also being fought, and there has already been some victory. So yeah, such a BIG difference between the US and EU in that regard. You're going to have equal amounts of freedom regardless of which of the two you're in.

Hell, in the case of the EU you even have choice, and the possibility to move to a country that still has a triple A credit rating! Think of the improvement that would bring to your life!
    Post edited by Not nine on