This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Team-based FPS games of the future

edited December 2009 in Video Games
A5tRNs2X5Q4

I've been getting more and more into FPS gaming lately (specifically team level on Xbox Live) and I got to thinking, are there any team-based FPS games that offer a spot for a commander? I'm not talking about someone who shouts orders but a player who is able to see what every member of the team sees and direct the team.

Remember the second Alien movie where the Marines went into the colony and each of them had a camera on their helmet? There was a control room on the ship where all those feeds were displayed and the commander had the ability to track each member of the team and direct them. That is what I am looking for.

In the past we have seen squad level games (Squad Leader, Fallout: Tactics, etc...) where you played the part of a commander controlling troops but I can't think of any modern games where one player takes the role of commander and the rest play as troops. Does such a game exist? Is such a game on the horizon? Would such a game even sell well?

Comments

• Yeah, you're basically describing Natural Selection.
  • edited December 2009
    The BF2 mod known as Project Reality is a great example of what you're describing.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Yeah, you're basically describing Natural Selection.
    There are some Half Life 2 mods out there with that mechanic as well.
  • Natural Selection 1/2 and I'm keeping and eye on Dust 514 as well. Seems good in theory but it's by the guys who made Eve Online.
  • but it's by the guys who made Eve Online.
    Who? Microsoft?
  • i dunno if you guys know about it (you might, don't flame me bro) about this game coming out for the ps3 called MAG (Massive Action Game). im not trying to advertise or anything, but it's supposedly able to support 256 ppl in a single game (or something around that number), there's supposed to be like ranks and things like that where you get higher up and can control ppl under you and stuff along those lines. i dunno, i kinda wanna try it out.
  • Planetside was amazing in it's heyday (it's terrible now) and was heavily reliant on teamwork. It didn't have fight size limits for a long time, "zones" were massive, and large organized groups were always more successful than the mass of zerg-type players running around.
    Project Reality for BF2 is a great mod for realism.
    NS is always a fun one, and sounds close to what you want.
    Insurgency for HL2 is a pretty good mod as well.
  • I have some friends who are always bugging me about getting into Battlefield 2.
  • I have some friends who are always bugging me about getting into Battlefield 2.
    I used to play it, but it used to be a case of either I'd be kicked because I wasn't US or UK based(Australian internet is slower) or, it was like playing with a bunch of amoral primary school childeren, with guns and explosives.
    I used to play it, but it used to be a case of either I'd be kicked because I wasn't US or UK based(Australian internet is slower) or, it was like playing with a bunch of amoral primary school childeren, with guns and explosives.
    Battlefield 2 for what system? I played some X-Box Live Battlefield game and it was pretty decent.
  • edited January 2010
    Battlefield 2 for what system?
    Battlefield 2 was PC only, my young friend, from back in the day where you could still do such a thing.
    Also, pretty much the first game to make the leap from the WWII flood of the time, into modern times, though they did take a brief stop in Vietnam first.

P.s - Yes, I'm aware there was a Battlefield 2: modern combat for the Xbox, but apart from the name and setting, they are essentially entirely different games.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Battlefield 2 for what system?
    Battlefield 2 was PC only, my young friend, from back in the day where you could still do such a thing.
    Also, pretty much the first game to make the leap from the WWII flood of the time, into modern times, though they did take a brief stop in Vietnam first.

P.s - Yes, I'm aware there was a Battlefield 2: modern combat for the Xbox, but apart from the name and setting, they are essentially entirely different games.
    Oh okay, yes, I'm sorry. Being that of a younger age and of less money I am stuck forever (or until I feel like working) with the oh so terrible consoles. PS gaming is definitely "where it's at" but I, alas, as I have previously stated, have no money. Oh well. Have you tried it out, though, and is it a decent game?
  • Oh okay, yes, I'm sorry. Being that of a younger age and of less money I am stuck forever (or until I feel like working) with the oh so terrible consoles. PS gaming is definitely "where it's at" but I, alas, as I have previously stated, have no money. Oh well. Have you tried it out, though, and is it a decent game?
    Chill, dude, it's cool. the PS was more for everyone else, because if I didn't say it, someone would probably call me on it. It is a pretty decent game, though, if you can get on a good server, I'd definitely rate it - despite my problems with some of the people, I put in a fair few hours on it. When I get home, and get my desktop repaired, I might start playing again. I used to love playing as the commander, too.