This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Sherlock Holmes (Slash?)

edited December 2009 in Movies
So I saw this today, on Christmas. I wanted to see the Princess and the Frog, but was overruled by relations. I may have been for the better, because I found it, while not a deep movie, a rather enjoyable romp with lots of pugilism in the face. Do you think Guy Richie likes bare knuckle boxing scenes? I think he likes bare knuckled boxing scenes. He also likes snark and mysteries and criminals. Like I said, don't go to the movie expecting Shakespeare, but if you want a pulp fest of a Victorian action movie, with EXCELLENT casting, I would say you ought to partake. I think that Robert Downey Jr. does a good take on Holmes, in that he plays him just fucked up enough, a rather neurotic misanthrope who is a bit closer (I think) to the spirit of the original Holmes.

Also, nobody would get this but the forum, but dude, I kept thinking of Rym and Scott, or at least the way their characters are portrayed on the Geeknights forum. Holmes is messy, cranky, and impolite in public, but as a team with the gentlemanly Watson he works very well. However, when Watson plans to move in with his fiance/girlfriend character, Holmes is super booed out and gets all jealous. Despite chicks rearranging their living plans, you know that they will keep on together, doing what they do best. Moreover, the whole thing is incredibly slashable. No, seriously.

Which reminds me, did any of you ever read Micheal Chabon's (Kavalier and Clay author) collection of essays, Maps and Legends? He has this essay about Sherlock Holmes and fan-fiction. I really recommend you read it. (It my change your impression of what constitutes fan-fiction, if all you have ever thought of the word referred to YAOIYAOIYAOI. The essay is more about inspiration and writing about your interests.)

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Never mind. I didn't see the other thread. My bad. I have copied my post over.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • There's a thread for this.

But from what everyone's saying, I really should see this thing.
  • Moreover, the whole thing is incredibly slashable. No, seriously.
    There are some things too sacred for slash. Sherlock Holmes is one of them.
  • There are some things too sacred for slash. Sherlock Holmes is one of them.
    Arguably the first fan-fiction ever was written about Sherlock Holmes. (^_^)
    And you have no idea how many Queer Theory interpretations of the Holmes-Watson dynamic there are. Dissertations have been written about the subject, baby!
  • There are some things too sacred for slash. Sherlock Holmes is one of them.
    Arguably the first fan-fiction ever was written about Sherlock Holmes. (^_^)
    And you have no idea how many Queer Theory interpretations of the Holmes-Watson dynamic there are. Dissertations have been written about the subject, baby!
    And I thought Spock/Kirk was the first one...hmmm...OH GAWD!!! Dammit Emily!!! Now those images'll be stuck in my head!
  • edited December 2009
    OH GAWD!!! Dammit Emily!!! Now those images'll be stuck in my head!
    Oh, judging on their appearances in the new movie, those images wouldn't be so bad. Uhuuhuu!

I thought Jude Law Watson was kinda dreamy. Jus' Sayin'. Dunno, must have a thing for sword-canes and waistcoats.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • OH GAWD!!! Dammit Emily!!! Now those images'll be stuck in my head!
    Oh, judging on their image in the new movie, those images wouldn't be so bad. Uhuuhuu!

I thought Jude Law Watson was kinda dreamy. Jus' Sayin'. Dunno, must have a thing for sword-canes and waistcoats.
    I still dunno how I feel about Jude Law as Watson. I was kind ehh on him after I saw Gattica, but I'll be fair and see the movie anyway because it's Guy Ritchie and I'm a Holmes fan.
  • I dunno, I though Gattica was a decent movie. It was sad!

Also: Relevant Beaton Comic!

• GeoGeo
    edited December 2009
    Spoilers: Furnaces and incineration were really sad, I'll grant you that. :Spoilers

Relevant joke time

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson went on a camping trip.

After a good meal and a bottle of wine, they lay down for the night and went to sleep.

Some hours later, Holmes awoke and nudged his faithful friend. "Watson, look up and tell me what you see."

Watson replied, "I see millions and millions of stars."

"What does that tell you?"

Watson pondered for a minute. "Astronomically, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Astrologically, I observe that Saturn is in Leo. Horologically, I deduce that the time is approximately a quarter past three. Theologically, I can see that God is all powerful and that we are small and insignificant. Meteorologically, I suspect that we will have a beautiful day tomorrow. Why, what does it tell YOU?"

Holmes was silent for a minute, then spoke. "Watson, you idiot. Some jerk has stolen our tent."
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Holmes is super booed out
  • Also: Relevant Beaton Comic!
    My personal yet unrelated favorite:

• 腐女子. :P
  • ???. :P
    Haha! The comic above is also full of win.
    But of course~!
    But of course~!
    :( I can read hira's and kata's, but kanji will forever elude me.

*After google translate* "Women Rot"? Wha?
  • edited December 2009
    ???. :P
    But of course~!
    :( I can read hira's and kata's, but kanji will forever elude me.

*After google translate* "Women Rot"? Wha?
    Get yourself some Rikaichan.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • "Women Rot"? Wha?
    I lol'd hard.
  • ???
    Women Rot is not so far off of a translation. Fujoshi literally means "Rotten Girl," and it refers to yaoi fangirls. There's a scene in Lucky Star where Otome Road (a street in Ikebukuro with a lot of doujinshi shops) and Fujoshi is explained by Patty to Yutaka. Yutaka is all worried and confused.

Patty: It's written with the characters for "Rotten" and "Woman."
    Yutaka: A...Are they rotten?
    Hiyori: In a manner of speaking.