This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What would you name your child?

GeoGeo
edited December 2009 in Suggestions
If you are currently planning to or hope to someday have a little bundle of joy of your own, what would his or her name be?

Personally, his or her first name(s) would usually come from a name that I particularly liked or thought sounded nice (usually these names are either somewhat to really uncommon).Their middle name(s) would probably derive from either someone I admired, or a past or present member in my family.

Girl names: Lea, Mae, Ana, Anya, Kathryn, Sofia, Emily (if anyone asks I have always liked the name Emily in general), Maria, Caitlin, Sonya/Sonia, and Rosie (short for Rosemarie).

Boy names: Aidan, Hunter, Alexander, Connor, Stephen, Anthony, Roman, Roy, Heath, Adam, James, Beau, and Ambrose.

Comments

• I could never ever settle on anything myself right now. But one of my good friends is very intent on naming her first daughter Sophie after Howl's Moving Castle.
  • GeoGeo
    edited December 2009
    I could never ever settle on anything myself right now. But one of my good friends is very intent on naming her first daughter Sophie afterHowl's Moving Castle.
    I think that's a really good namesake, not to mention a good name in and of itself.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Generally, whenever I have these discussions, I just end up discussing ridiculous potential names for my kids. Guy's names I've recently tossed around either half-seriously or entirely so include Spider (for Jerusalem and Robinson), Wes (for Anderson), Sanguinus (for the Emperor!), King Diamond, Hunter (for S. Thompson), Fernando, and Ambrose (for the coolest kid I've ever known).

Girl's names I am often more serious with, but my favorite is Sonsoles, meaning "they are suns" in Spanish. I generally favor Spanish girl's names; Sophia, Isabella, and Maria are also ones I really like.
  • Generally, whenever I have these discussions, I just end up discussing ridiculous potential names for my kids. Guy's names I've recently tossed around either half-seriously or entirely so include Spider (for Jerusalem and Robinson), Wes (for Anderson), Sanguinus (for the Emperor!), King Diamond, Hunter (for S. Thompson), Fernando, and Ambrose (for the coolest kid I've ever known).
    Alright I'm adding Ambrose to my list, I think that's a pretty good name.
  • Max. Max Power.

Or Miles Mayhem.
  • My first son will be named Thor.

Everything else is up for grabs.
  • Jeremey, James and Richard.
  • For a girl: River Maeve
    For a boy: Liam Harris
    Both are still open to change.
  • edited December 2009
    I have a couple of names if is a boy: Kuro, Atom, Leo, Osamu, Zeus, Apollo, Epyphanius, Hector, or Martin.
    If I ever have a girl, this are her options :P : Haydee, Heidi, Laura, Rose, Donna, Martha or Rosalvine.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • I never thought about girl's names, but I DO have a list of boy's names: Eli, Cyrus, Santiago, Felipe, Raekwon, Chad, Geronimo, Joell, Fidel, Uhro, Julio

Yeah... Most of them are names of people that I respect, the names of dead relatives, or names I just really liked.
  • If I ever have a son his name will probably be Thomas (german annunciation) or maybe Andreas (german equivalent of Andrew) or Theodor. Girls names I am not sure about yet.

Today I also came across another Calender where the name days are included. Don't think that is something popular in the U.S. and I think it's mostly due to the fact that catholicism is very widespread here. Anyways there are a lot of names on them which are really antiquated and who I never met a person with that name. Such as:
    f: Priska, Walpurga, Diethilde, Gisela, Ilga, Ruth, Rosalia, Melitta, Marlies, Hildegund, Kordula, Cäcilia, Adelheid
    m: Leander, Frowin, Stanislaus, Gervin, Wolfhelm, Pankratius, Meinrad, Ekkehard, Werenfried, Sefried, Gotthelf, Hedwig, Kunibert, Alberich, Ambrosius, Giselher

Needless to say, probably no kids of mine will ever have those names
  • edited December 2009
    Whenever this subject comes up with me and Jed he always says he wants to name our son Bahamut Sir Alkirk Jones the third. I always say hell to the no to thatV name.

For a daughter: Zepporah, Layla, Persephone, Zoe, Artemis.
    For a Son: I really don't know, but I would like it to start with a S or a V.
    Rose, Donna, Martha
    Doctor Who fan?
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Today I also came across another Calender where the name days are included. Don't think that is something popular in the U.S. and I think it's mostly due to the fact that catholicism is very widespread here. Anyways there are a lot of names on them which are really antiquated and who I never met a person with that name. Such as:
    f: Priska, Walpurga, Diethilde, Gisela, Ilga, Ruth, Rosalia, Melitta, Marlies, Hildegund, Kordula, Cäcilia, Adelheid
    m: Leander, Frowin, Stanislaus, Gervin, Wolfhelm, Pankratius, Meinrad, Ekkehard, Werenfried, Sefried, Gotthelf, Hedwig, Kunibert, Alberich, Ambrosius, Giselher
    My grandfather was named Bonifacio. Luckily my mom stopped my dad from naming me after him.
  • Artemis.
    Mythological Moon names FTW.
  • GeoGeo
    edited December 2009
    Artemis.
    Mythological Moon names FTW.
    Luna and Diana
    For a girl: River Maeve
    For a boy: Liam Harris
    Both are still open to change.
    Are those supposed singular names or are they both first and middle names?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Our children are going to hate us.
    Good. Maybe little Thor will learn to channel his rage. He'll need to be able to do that come Ragnarok.
    Good. Maybe little Thor will learn to channel his rage. He'll need to be able to do that come Ragnarok.
    We can set him up with some of my blacksmith friends so he can learn how to use that hammer. Good for getting out aggression AND making cool/useful things!
  • Are those supposed singular names or are they both first and middle names?
    First and middle.
  • Well, my kids first name would have to be something pronounceable in japanese and their middle name would be "no". If you say my last name, in japanese it means "wind", so ideally their would be "something of the wind", which is pretty damn cool.
  • edited December 2009
    Well, my kids first name would have to be something pronounceable in japanese and their middle name would be "no". If you say my last name, in japanese it means "wind", so ideally their would be "something of the wind", which is pretty damn cool.
    How about Nausicaä for a girl? Yojimbo for a boy?
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Well, my kids first name would have to be something pronounceable in japanese and their middle name would be "no". If you say my last name, in japanese it means "wind", so ideally their would be "something of the wind", which is pretty damn cool.
    Isn't "Khaze" also "sneeze"?
  • In Japanese? Kaze means both "wind" and "cold" (as in the disease), although they are written with different characters.
    Kushami is sneeze.
  • edited December 2009
    In Japanese? Kaze means both "wind" and "cold" (as in the disease).
    Yeah, thus the bane of my existence during Japanese 101. Particularly when I came to class with a cold.

"Khaze-san wa kaze desu."

Still, a single pun is but a small price to pay for a cool name.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • "Delta X. (my last name)".
  • I honestly forgot what names I once wanted for children since I've pretty much come to the decision that I really don't want to have children.
    Will you give him a toy Mjöllnir?
  • Rose, Donna, Martha
    Doctor Who fan?
    Oh YES!
  • If I ever have a child (boy or girl) I would name him/her after this fine young lad: