This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What would you name your child?

Comments

• Not my kid, but I got my brothers middle name to be "Vashon" as and elongated version of Vash.
  • Would like a word from you from the grave!!!
    Dude, too soon.
    Dude, we were in 6th grade. It was a long time ago.
  • Since I stopped writing my novel for this month, I do have to say that I really liked the name I chose for my main character. That name being Daragh. Don't know if it'd be a good first name, but definitely a great middle name.
  • RymRym
    edited November 2010
    Dude, we were in 6th grade. It was a long time ago.
    I'll admit I didn't know who that was back when his death suddenly became a big deal. Today, when reminded of him, I still didn't know who he was.

Google informed me that he was some actor who died of a drug overdose. He was only in a few movies. I can't for the life of my figure out why his name is even remembered or known. John Candy is largely forgotten already, but he was much more renowned.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Google informed me that he was some actor who died of a drug overdose. He was only in a few movies. I can't for the life of my figure out why his name is even remembered or known.
    The movies he was in pretty much defined the late 80's and early 90's. Stand by me, Explorers to name a few of my favs :-p

John Candy isn't forgotten ^_^
  • Google informed me that he was some actor who died of a drug overdose. He was only in a few movies. I can't for the life of my figure out why his name is even remembered or known.
    The movies he was in pretty much defined the late 80's and early 90's. Stand by me, Explorers to name a few of my favs :-p

John Candy isn't forgotten ^_^
    John Candy will NEVER be forgotten.
  • I also didn't know/care about him when he died.
    That's not surprising considering you don't know most famous people.
    That's not surprising considering you don't know most famous people.
    You want to know the reason I remember this? In 6th grade I had a hippy-ish Social Studies teacher, Mr. Mooney. He would cut out articles from the newspaper and stick them to the bulletin boards all the way around the room. And when something big happened he would discuss it with the class. He spent a good 15 minutes talking about River Phoenix, and that is the only reason I know.
  • Okay if River is out then Yuriko for a girl.
    I see you have a thing for psycho assassin girls.
  • edited November 2010
    Would like a word from you from the grave!!!
    Dude, too soon.
    Oh yeah?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Apollo and Starbuck, yo.
    Reuben Flagg
    Gotta wait on construction of the Chicago Plexmall to finish.
  • Pipi Longstocking
    I see you have a thing for psycho assassin girls.
    Psycho girls are the best in bed.
  • Psycho girls are the best in bed.
    You'd think so, but this is not always the case.
  • Dude, we were in 6th grade. It was a long time ago.
    I'll admit I didn't know who that was back when his death suddenly became a big deal. Today, when reminded of him, I still didn't know who he was.

Google informed me that he was some actor who died of a drug overdose. He was only in a few movies. I can't for the life of my figure out why his name is even remembered or known. John Candy is largely forgotten already, but he was much more renowned.
    I was in the 4th grade at the time and had no idea who this guy was/did not care. I think people continue to remember him today b/c of his age at death. The younger the dead person, the more iconic their memory. I only really became aware of who he was from some VH1 "I love X year" nostalgia-fest.
  • I rememer John Candy because of Camp Candy. I didn't watch it, but I remember it existing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Candy
  • I rememer John Candy because of Camp Candy. I didn't watch it, but I remember it existing.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Candy
    You never saw Planes, Trains, and Automobiles? Nor Uncle Buck?
  • I rememer John Candy because of Camp Candy. I didn't watch it, but I remember it existing.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Candy
    You never sawPlanes, Trains, and Automobiles? NorUncle Buck?
    Nope.
  • I rememer John Candy because of Camp Candy.
    Not Barf from SPACE BALLS.
  • I rememer John Candy because of Camp Candy.
    Not Barf from SPACE BALLS.
    Oh yeah, I didn't remember that was him because of the costume.
  • Tiberius Danger
    Arturias Rex
    Athena/Octavia Nike

Yep my children will hate me, but have totally awesome names.
  • RymRym
    edited November 2010
    Planes, Trains, and Automobiles?
    Funny as a kid, but I doubt it holds up.
    NorUncle Buck?
    I saw this again relatively recently for some reason. It holds up about as well as Mr. Mom: not well. They're almost period comedies at this point, from a bygone era with bygone sensibilities.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Funny as a kid, but I doubt it holds up.
    I thought this was still pretty good and I've seen it pretty recently.
  • I also never saw Planes, Tranes, and Automobiles but saw Uncle Buck at a very young age and was forever a Candy fan. I am slightly fascinated with the aging of entertainment, what survives, what doesn't. I might have to view some John Candy in the near future and develop a stance first-hand on how the man's work has held up.
  • Planes, Trains, and Automobiles?
    Funny as a kid, but I doubt it holds up.

NorUncle Buck?
    I saw this again relatively recently for some reason. It holds up about as well asMr. Mom: not well. They're almost period comedies at this point, from a bygone era with bygone sensibilities.I'm not saying they hold up, but they're famous enough that most people know John Candy. Also, SCTV is the business, and Candy was in that.
  • Movie with John Candy that will always hold up: Cool Runnings.
  • Movie with John Candy that will always hold up:Cool Runnings.
    Oh shit, I forgot he was in that as well.
  • Oh, new name: Ultraman.