This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Playlist help (AKA "the Post Calming Music Thread.")

edited December 2009 in Everything Else
So, I'm making a playlist containing songs which are calm, mostly acoustic, but I noticed that I lack this type of music, would you help me find other songs that would fit in this category? I want songs with vocals, mostly. altough I have a playlist for calm instrumental pieces.

Songs already on the playlist.

Static sea: Aoineko
Must Be Dreaming: Frou Frou
Sore Feet Song: Ally Kerr
Fade into you: Mazzy Star
Psychobabble: Frou Frou
Silent man: Dream Theater
Sigur Ros: Untitled (vaka)
Sigur Ros: Hoppípolla

Any suggestions?

I don't want to have too many songs by one artist, top two per artist.

Comments

• edited December 2009

Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited December 2009
    Ah, nice song, but I forgot to specify the vocal part, it'll fit into my instrumental playlist though. =3

I'm a playlist whore.

EDIT: Added two Sigur Ros songs already.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • Eh.. this is now the "Post calming music." thread.
  • edited December 2009
    Arists you may want to look into (nothing ground breaking, but fit the mood you describe):
    Iron and Wine (anything really)
    Simon and Garfunkel (a lot of their music)
    James Taylor (a lot of his music)
    Pete Seeger (a lot of his music)
    Folk singers from the 60's and 70's in general

Specific Songs:
    The Stranglers "Golden Brown"

The Shins "Those to Come"

Steve Vai "Rescue Me or Bury Me"

Donovan "Hurdy Gurdy Man" or "Atlantis"

"Elm" from the Cowboy Bebop Soundtrack

Nick Drake "Pink Moon"
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited December 2009
    Andy McKee - Rylynn

Yoko Kanno - Space Lion

and the song it comes from: Goodnight Julia.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Calming/Unsettling: Nine Inch Nails: Ghosts I-IV

Try listening to it on a drive in the back-country on a cold winters day near sun-rise or sun-set.
  • Anything from T-cophony

• or just about anything else that qualifies as smooth jazz
    also:

• Mazzy Star, Nick Drake, Sigur Ror, this is a good thread. Grouper, ambient, psychedelic folk. Popol Vuh, they did the soundtrack to Aguirre The Wrath of God, ambient krautrock. Ducktails, lo-fi psychedelic ambient surf music.
  • edited December 2009
    Van Morrison - Crazy Love
    America - Lonely People
    Wilco - Impossible Germany
    Joseph Arthur - Honey and the Moon
    Smashing Pumpkins - Landslide
    The Kinks - Nothing In the World Can Stop
    Velvet Underground - Pale Blue Eyes
    Cat Stevens - The Wind
    Jack Johnson - Better Together
    G Love and Special Sauce - Gimme Some Lovin'
    Faces - Ooh La La
    Seu Jorge - Life On Mars
    Iron and Wine - Such Great Heights
    Simon & Garfunkel - The Boxer
    Pete Yorn - Just Another
    Magnet - Dancing In the Moonlight
    Barenaked Ladies - Am I the Only One?
    The Band - The Weight
    Seven Mary Three - Lucky
    Al Green - For the Good Times

Playlists are one of my favorite things. I think perhaps my ideal job would be choosing songs for movie soundtracks.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • No singing, just a very chill beat and some talking. I like to turn it on and just listen in the dark and zone out completely with the beat.
  • edited December 2009
    smooth jazz
    Coltrane and Davis are as far from "smooth jazz" as it gets. They were huge in bebop and, later on, avant-garde and experimental jazz. "Smooth jazz" is a very specific style of jazz that is noted for containing huge amounts of suck.

EDIT: Tom Waits and Nick Cave are as "relaxing" as my music gets. I recommend Small Change from Waits, as it has a very strong lounge atmosphere, and also contains some amazing songs. For Nick Cave, look for his work with the Bad Seeds. Specifically, look at The Boatman's Call and No More Shall We Part. The music is still emotionally intense, but it's sombre and downbeat.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • @ Pete: Vai and Dream Theatre have already been listed. Even some of your preferred musicians make some mellow music.
  • @ Pete: Vai and Dream Theatre have already been listed. Even some of your preferred musicians make some mellow music.
    I wouldn't really call Dream Theater or Vai "calming" by and large. Their music tends to be very stimulating (at least to me), so I wouldn't recommend them if you need something calm. Something like "Tom Traubert's Blues" by Tom Waits is a very relaxed, mellow, downbeat sort of song, and that's what I figured would best fit the request for calm music.
    I wouldn't really call Dream Theater or Vai "calming" by and large. Their music tends to be very stimulating (at least to me), so I wouldn't recommend them if you need something calm. Something like "Tom Traubert's Blues" by Tom Waits is a very relaxed, mellow, downbeat sort of song, and that's what I figured would best fit the request for calm music.
    I am not saying all of their music, I am saying some of it. You just refuse to see the calm at the center of the storm. ^_~
  • I am not saying all of their music, I am saying some of it. You just refuse to see the calm at the center of the storm. ^_~
    I see plenty of calm, it's just less interesting. :P

I figured it'd be better to recommend 3 full albums whose contents are 85% calm music rather than recommend the handful of truly "calming" DT songs. To be honest, I find Swallow the Sun's catalog to be more generally calming than DT's catalog.
  • edited December 2009

Wait For Sleep, one of my favorite tracks off Image and Words

Note: first time I seen Petrucci sing in a DT song, also note that Myung is playing the electric guitar.

• edited December 2009
    Woo, 3 whole songs! :P

EDIT: No love for "Goodnight Kiss" or "Hollow Years?" How about "Trial of Tears?" Those all have pretty substantial mellow segments.

EDIT SOME MORE:

But seriously, Tom Waits and Nick Cave are amazing.

That last one isn't quite as mellow as the rest, but it's one of my favorite fucking songs of all time.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited December 2009
    Well, "Goodnight Kiss" is a segment of a song. "Hollow Years" was a complete oversight, "Trail of tears" has a whole section which knocks me of the calm mood, which reminds me "Ministry of Lost Souls," which also has that quality to it.

I could have put "Repentance" though...
  • Been kind of obsessed with this song lately.

• I'm a fan of Four Tet. (Sorry, no [real] vocals here)
    Iron Man cover:

Angel Echoes:

My Angel Rocks Back and Forth:
  • edited March 2010
    I'm a bit of an Imogen Heap fanboy... I note that you listed Frou Frou, Ceilmort. Well, same person.

Hide and Seek

Half Life

2-1

The Moment I Said It
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on