This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Moments of Pure Magic/Things That Broke Your Brain

Comments

• As a form of complete irony, the most magical moment of my life was when I realized that I didn't have to believe in god if I didn't want to.
    This.

Also, probably the weirdest thing that I've ever experienced was having a dream that spanned two consecutive nights. Normally I'm pretty good about continuing dreams if I fall asleep right after waking up, but this dream was apparently so good in my mind that it deserved two whole nights to tell it. To this day, it is also still the dream I remember best (and this was 8-9 years ago).

And for the thing that broke my brain the most, marathoning Evangelion series and movies in one day/night when I watched the whole thing for the first time. End of Eva literally made me unable to think for a few days.
  • And for the thing that broke my brain the most, marathoning Evangelion series and movies in one day/night when I watched the whole thing for the first time. End of Eva literally made me unable to think for a few days.
    Well, I got you beat on that. Marathoning Lain.
  • When I finished watching 2001: A Space Odyssey, Akira, and Eraserhead for the first time.
  • edited January 2010
    And for the thing that broke my brain the most, marathoning Evangelion series and movies in one day/night when I watched the whole thing for the first time. End of Eva literally made me unable to think for a few days.
    Well, I got you beat on that. Marathoning Lain.
    Heh, I did that, and have made several others do so. Best legal way to fuck your brain up.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • Another one involving sleep is when I had six false awakenings in a row (and when I experienced sleep paralysis, but I think I told you people about that already). When I realised what was happening I turned the last three into lucid dreams by looking at my alarm clock, looking away, and then looking back to find that the numbers had changed. It was a great feeling to jump out of bed, kick down the front door and fly over the forest for a few miles before actually waking up (which was a bit of a let down).
  • It was a great feeling to jump out of bed, kick down the front door and fly over the forest for a few miles before actually waking up (which was a bit of alet down).
    Flying in lucid dreams is amazing. I have a bunch of things I want to do in my lucid dreams, but every time I actually become lucid, it's just like "Fuck that, I'm flying!"
  • I saw Next to Normal on Monday night. Brain remains broken.
  • I have never had a flying dream.
  • I've one had one real lucid dream, and the first thing I did was phase through my back door and start flying.
  • In several of the lucid dreams I've had, the moment I became lucid I started floating and couldn't stop it.
  • edited January 2010
    Most of my dreams have been lucid. It's fun because you can completely ignore all rules of physical reality, rewind and try situations again; It's like being a demi-god.

But the dreams that weren't lucid were almost always horrible. One recurring form of horribleness is the sound of babies crying. It's gotten to the point where even in the real word the sound of a baby crying makes be shiver, cringe, and can even invoke a NEED to get away from the sound as soon as possible. Such is the power of association. I'm going to experiment with listening to the sounds of babies crying in order the desensitize me. Though whatever far reaching future effects that may have I cannot fathom, so maybe its best for me not to debug my own brain.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited January 2010
    Seeing a member of the forums materialize in my Facebook friend requests...I haven't even given out my first name on here. Damn.

EDIT: Qualifies as a brain breaker for me, more than anything.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Another time when my brain exploted was when someone told me where eggs come from. I stop eating them for at least 6 months :S
  • I remember my father telling me that some stars were so big, that if you put them where the sun is now, they would swallow the Earth. At the time I didn't understand what stars were, to me they were just points of light in the sky, and I presumed they weren't that far away. If something was so big, how could it not already be swallowing the Earth.

And then after thinking about this for a few days... WHOOSH! It clicked that the universe was HUGE! And the stars were REALLY FAR AWAY!

Mind = blown.
  • Moment of pure magic? Dancing with Natalie under the Christmas tree in Bryant Park. :)

Next time my brain breaks I'll be sure to think of this and remember to post something more relevant.
  • Next time my brain breaks I'll be sure to think of this and remember to post something more relevant.
    Funnily enough, no one but Gomidog has posted anything like what I actually meant when I started the thread (and in retrospect, I was probably talking about something that's far too rare and specific), but the thread probably turned out better for it.
  • On topic.. Who, us?
  • When I was in 5th grade I would ask to go to the restroom just so I could zone out for a few minutes. I would just sit on the toilet and stare at the ground. One time my eyes crossed slightly without my realizing it and the tiny tiles that created a grid appeared to raise up from the ground. I went to touch it, but the floor seemed to return to its position. I tried to recreate the experience, but I couldn't do it. I thought I was ill or crazy . I didn't understand what happened until the next year when Magic Eye art became popular and it struck me that my eyes must have crossed. To this day, I cross my eyes a bit when I am in a restroom with small, consistent tiles just to make the floor pop up for a moment.
  • I just got this email, and it reminded me of last summer when I went to Nordkapp, and had a similar "whoa" moment when I told myself I was looking over the top of the world:
    I just wanted to tell you that I enjoyed your photos at http://www.lukeburrage.com/photography.html. In particular 'Looking north at midnight. Nordkapp, Norway..'. My first reaction was, 'no, it can't be - you've got it wrong'. But after thinking about it for a short while I twigged - you are looking North to the sun right over the top of the world. A beautiful and thought-provoking illustration, and a great photo too, thanks. I should have twigged sooner as, years ago, I visited the North Cape as a child aged about 11, though it was cloudy at the time....
  • edited February 2010

This is an 8 speed automatic transmission, it's fucking witchcraft as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: And to Rym who thinks automatics are superior in every way, my manual transmission only measures about 1ft in length and weighs over 100 lbs less than the automatic I'm replacing.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • And to Rym who thinks automatics are superior in every way, my manual transmission only measures about 1ft in length and weighs over 100 lbs less than the automatic I'm replacing.
    He's a smart man. We should teach him about cars someday.
  • This is an 8 speed automatic transmission, it's fucking witchcraft as far as I'm concerned.
    My brain just collapsed. Good god, what a waste of metal, what extra weight! Oh, and the gears...It looks like a clockmaker's fantasy.
    And to Rym who thinks automatics are superior in every way, my manual transmission only measures about 1ft in length and weighs over 100 lbs less than the automatic I'm replacing.
    He's a smart man. We should teach him about cars someday.
    Also, this.

This is an 8 speed automatic transmission, it's fucking witchcraft as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: And to Rym who thinks automatics are superior in every way, my manual transmission only measures about 1ft in length and weighs over 100 lbs less than the automatic I'm replacing.
    What the fuck are the power bands on those gears?! You must have to shift furiously.
  • You must have to shift furiously.
    automatic transmission
  • This is an 8 speed automatic transmission, it's fucking witchcraft as far as I'm concerned.

If I can put a functional piece of equipment on my car that looks like a goddamn warp drive, then it is clearly superior to everything else.
  • If I can put a functional piece of equipment on my car that looks like a goddamn warp drive, then it is clearly superior to everything else.
  • You must have to shift furiously.
    automatic transmission
    Sorry, I completely overlooked the "automatic".
  • He's a smart man. We should teach him about cars someday.
    I'm not so sure, it's just not his sort of geekery. He's all about driving, he's told me he wants a Miata some day and I can respect that.
  • I'm not so sure, it's just not his sort of geekery. He's all about driving, he's told me he wants a Miata some day and I can respect that.
    I'm not saying we should make him tear down an engine, or machine his own brake disks on a lathe, here, but still, could be fun.
  • Well he knows a good bit, he just is silly about transmissions. :P