This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Martial Arts Thread

Comments

• I found the martial arts club at school. They are mostly Kung-Fu and Tae Kwon Do practitioners. To take advantage of that I'm internalizing simultaneous striking/blocking movements and efficient kick defense. I still need to meet a grappler who will train with me.
  • Walker said:

I still need to meet a grappler who will train with me.

Ain't that the truth, that's my biggest weakness and no one around is really able to help out.

• There HAS to be some sort of BJJ place nearby, they are everywhere!
  • You're probably right. I keep forgetting that I have access public transportation now. I hope it isn't a challenge to find somebody who doesn't expect me to pay to learn from them.
  • edited February 2014
    New MMA-style sport coming out of Australia. The elevator pitch is that it's two combatants in an arena wearing smart armor, and beating the shit out of each other with various weapons. Should be interesting to see if it gets up or not.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • That looks fucking dumb.
  • I don't think that's stopped many other sports.
  • Still rocking the three club combat:

Way less dumb than those dumb suits those dumb stick hitting guys wear.
  • edited March 2014

Yeah, the whole dressing up in a padded costume and hitting people with sticks is kinda dumb. I didn't say much before because I thought it was funny that it was Andrew saying so, considering.

Still, I just said it was interesting to see if it would get off the ground, because it's a new sport, with an interesting concept, not that I was a huge fan.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • It won't get off the ground. Sports need to be easily accessible to train and participate to catch on in any way. So far they have, maybe, two or three suits and no arena. Nobody has yet been able to try it.

And that's important. If nobody can try it, they can't tell if it will be fun or not. And people only take part in sports if they are fun. Even if this is fun, there's no way to find out.

From a spectator point of view, it doesn't even look that interesting or fun to watch. But that's beside the point if there can be, literally, only two people in the whole world playing at the same time.
  • Ronda Rousey is a fucking god
    https://streamable.com/8lj3
  • Holy fuck.
  • I'm pretty sure she either needs to move up a weight class or just start fighting the dudes because I don't think there is anyone in her division that can even scratch her right now.
  • What needs to happen is that Dana White needs to convince an Olympic judo gold medalist to come and beat her at her own game.
  • Ronda Rousey oops.
  • Ronda Rousey oops.
  • edited November 2015
    Yeah, there was an image macro I saw the day of the fight:
    imageIn retrospect, I feel really sorry for anyone who tried it. They probably choked.
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • Maybe she'll learn to add some variety to her game, and to be more patient and less arrogant.

Though it was a pretty meteoric streak, to be honest. That woman is a beast.
  • Churba said:

Yeah, the whole dressing up in a padded costume and hitting people with sticks is kinda dumb.
    It's totally fucking dumb and totally fucking awesome too.

• Churba said:

Yeah, the whole dressing up in a padded costume and hitting people with sticks is kinda dumb.
    It's totally fucking dumb and totally fucking awesome too.
    I'm sure it could be, but after this long, and looking at how MMA is still a tiny, tiny sport after this long, I'm not sure it would ever get anywhere, even if they did get enough funding to actually open a leauge.

• Well, I don't do this, but I do dress up in armor and beat people with sticks for fun. So I can vouch that the principle of getting geared up and beating the shit out of your friends with clubs is wicked wicked fun.

Painful, but fun.
  • MMA is cannibalizing boxing and wrestling fandoms, but isn't expanding the set of either of them.
  • Well, I don't do this, but I do dress up in armor and beat people with sticks for fun. So I can vouch that the principle of getting geared up and beating the shit out of your friends with clubs is wicked wicked fun.

Painful, but fun.

It is the best of fun!

But yeah Rousey seems to have gone about it all the wrong way. Holmes was clearly in charge the whole fight.
  • Rym said:

MMA is cannibalizing boxing and wrestling fandoms, but isn't expanding the set of either of them.

Boxing is a dead sport as far as the mainstream. Only Floyd Mayweather actually matters and he's old. He's also smart enough to never take fights he's actually going to lose. He waited until Pacquiao was old and beaten up before taking that fight. MMA is maybe taking some fans of boxing away but there hasn't been a major boxing star that young people have really cared about since Tyson. Big time boxing also only cares about big time money. You or I wouldn't likely spend $100 on a PPV to watch one boxing match when you can get so many cool things for that much. It will have its niche but it's dead to the mainstream.

MMA definitely took pro wrestling fans during the first UFC boom starting in 2005. Part of it was that the first season or two of UFC's Ultimate Fighter reality show ran right after WWE's Monday Night Raw show on Spike. People who tuned in for Raw and didn't change the channel got to see what this "Mixed Martial Arts" thing was, and a number of them enjoyed what they saw. I've heard a lot of older pro wrestling fans say that when UFC was cooking, it gave them a lot of the same experiences that pro wrestling used to give them. You had stars with dynamic personalities, many of whom were entertaining talkers, and almost every match ended with a decisive finish. Winning your weight class championship was important, the goal of every fighter. No one said "Championships come and championships go." The biggest attraction to wrestling fans, however, was when Brock Lesnar had his run in UFC. Here was a former pro wrestler with legitimate amateur credentials and one of a kind raw athletic talent coming in and smashing his way through what was admittedly a weak heavyweight division. His run was unfortunately ended by a combination of younger, more all around skilled fighters like Cain Velasquez coming in and having a near fatal case of diverticulitis which meant he just couldn't fight like he used to. He's since come back to WWE and been an amazing performer, but I don't think MMA fans followed him back the way wrestling fans followed him in.
    UFC's biggest growing audience lately was female fans who only watched Ronda fight. Now we need to see if they'll watch the other female fighters as they start to get more main events, or if they were only interested in Ronda. Even if Ronda comes back, it won't be long. She has bad knees and she's getting too many movie offers to continue to put the wear and tear on her body, and her star can only diminish if she loses more off this fight, like what happened with Tyson.
  • Maybe she'll learn to add some variety to her game, and to be more patient and less arrogant.

Her explanation for being "impatient" is that she thinks her career will have to end after she spends so much time in the ring, so if she can win a fight in 30 seconds then she can keep fighting that much longer.
  • She tried to out box a professional boxer, there is being impatient and being unprepared.
  • edited November 2015
    Ikatono said:

Maybe she'll learn to add some variety to her game, and to be more patient and less arrogant.

Her explanation for being "impatient" is that she thinks her career will have to end after she spends so much time in the ring, so if she can win a fight in 30 seconds then she can keep fighting that much longer.
    Yeah, I read the ama she did. "Fight time" and all that. Which is great in principle, but this really seemed to be a case of pure cocky recklessness.

Patience is paramount in a fight. She's got aggression nailed, that's for sure, but this most recent fight shows what confident patience can do.

EDIT: At the same time, patience can be wicked fucking lame from an audience perspective. I remember one of the single-digit UFC's - maybe 4? - when Royce Gracie had a guy on the ground in an armbar for 35 fucking minutes or something like that. Two dudes laying there occasionally moving for half an hour.

Ken Shamrock and Dan Severn had a match that was a half-hour of them posturing at each other and not actually fighting.

So patience is also sometimes boring as shit.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • This is relevant and a bit funny.
  • Amp said:

She tried to out box a professional boxer, there is being impatient and being unprepared.

Holly Holm and her team have spent the last two years figuring out Ronda's pattern and Ronda's team didn't bother to come up with a plan B. It doesn't help that Holly is a counter fighter by nature.