This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Cool Things About Your Family

GeoGeo
edited January 2010 in Everything Else
If you know something cool or have an interesting story about any member(s) of your family and are willing to tell it here, please tell us.

I'm not going to tell mine just yet, I'd like to wait a bit.

Comments

• Hahahahaha... Mine cannot be expressed verbally. You pretty much have to experience it. Just ask Pete.
  • edited January 2010
    Hahahahaha... Mine cannot be expressed verbally. You pretty much have to experience it. Just ask Pete.
    Nuri's mom is a dragon.

No, really.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • My family comes together one weekend each year to camp together and have an awesome time.

When was the last time you saw your mother's cousin walk around in shorts with a flag print on it?
  • GeoGeo
    edited January 2010
    I may as well share something cool about my father that I still think is absolutely awesome, but sort of hard to tell other people. My father, I swear to god I'm not making this up, actually made it on Jeopardy back in 1997. I don't have any video proof of this (the VHS was loaned to a co-worker who promptly lost it!!), but I have found something that is more than enough proof. This link is from what I can only dub a "Jeopardphile's" website that has a backlog of every Jeopardy episode ever made including stats and more.

EDIT: If anyone has any questions about Jeopardy that a lot of people might not be privy to, such as Alex Trebek's true personality off-stage, just ask if you wish.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Alex Trebek's true personality off-stage, just ask if you wish.
    I actually am interested in this.
  • Alex Trebek's true personality off-stage, just ask if you wish.
    I actually am interested in this.
    Well I think it should be said is that Alex Trebek is an umitigated asswipe. I'm not kidding, my father described him as curt, impolite, and totally rude. An even greater example of this is that just before my father or the contestants would go out, the stagehands would say "Remember, Alex is always right". Another example of this is when someone in the audience shouted that an answer to a specific question was wrong, Alex stopped the cameras and had this loud argument with the guy. Apparently, it turned out the audience member was in fact correct about the answer he shouted. So kids, don't ever feel a smidgen of pity for him when Sean Connery burns him.
  • edited January 2010
    My mom is a lesbian. That in and of itself is cool. The more impressive part is that she managed to work up the courage to come out after over twenty years of marriage and despite the fact she was afraid my grandma would be upset and cut off contact with her (my grandparents are quite religious). Of course, her coming out initially caused major upheaval with my dad for a while, and I'm sure he's still somewhat sore about it. In good time, though, they settled things like civilized people and really have stayed friends after splitting up. My younger brother was upset at first due to the initial fighting, but he's been totally okay with her decision otherwise. And thankfully, my grandma and grandpa were also completely supportive of her. Big relief, and very cool of them.

My mom is currently living with a partner, and they're very happy. My dad lives nearby, and the three of them all seem very friendly with one another. Talking with my dad in private, I can tell he's not just putting it on, either. I spent this Christmas and New Years with all of them and my brother, and we all had a blast.

TL;DR: My family is cool because they don't let drama drive them apart, no matter how big. <3
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • On my mom's side, my deceased Grandfather's brother was a pilot in World War II, I believe, and I'm pretty sure he was captured and taken prisoner, and then was freed at the end of the war. Unless I'm remembering this incorrectly, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.
  • edited January 2010
    Of course, her coming out initially caused major upheaval with my dad for a while, and I'm sure he's still somewhat sore about it. In good time, though, they settled things like civilized people and really have stayed friends after splitting up.
    Not going to lie, learning that a woman that you've committed 20+ years of your life to doesn't feel attracted to you would be one of the most world-turning-upsidedown experiences you could have. Very glad that your dad came to terms with it, because that can't be an easy thing to do. Mad props to him.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • My family's pretty normal, except we don't do any family stuff as my dad can't be around the rest of us for long without turning really hostile. My mum tries her hardest to keep the family from completely disintegrating but she's mostly given up on trying to get us to be around each other and I don't blame her. Helen is pretty awesome, always been a reliable sister and stands the most chance of really doing something with her life.

I feel, in some way, obligated to mention that my dad's dad was much worse than my dad so I'm hoping I won't be as bad when I reach that age.
  • On my dad's side I'm related (however distantly) to Patricia Heaton. One of my uncles was humped by a guy in a panda suit on Jay Leno. Another uncle was a professional chef, the best storyteller I have ever met, and remembers every joke he has ever been told. Yet another uncle is pretty active in the gay rights movement, and lives with his partner in Ohio. My granddad on that side fought in World War II, and my grandma is one of the cleverest, funniest, most sarcastic ladies I have ever met, even through the haze of Alzheimer's. My dad grew up among all these people (along with three sisters and another brother) in the same place that A Christmas Story was filmed. My mom's side is much smaller, but my other grandfather also fought in World War II, and my great grandfather shook hands with John F. Kennedy, played in a chart-topping jazz band, was married for sixty five years, and rode in a cab with the Prime minister of Germany without even knowing it until he left the car.
  • The coolest thing I can think of is that my dad is a Civil War reenactor. It's a hobby, but it's a pretty cool hobby.
  • edited January 2010
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • This guy was my uncle whom I only met twice. My Grandfather's Brother on my dad's side.
  • Most things about my family are cool.

1. My mom gave birth to me, one of the best things ever.

2. When they found out I was gay, the general reaction was "Why were you so afraid to tell us? It's cool." and 0 drama on their part after that.

3. Just about everything else. I love my family. There's a reason why I spend so much time with them.
  • My parents have always been a huge source of inspiration for me. Both of them came from broken homes. Abusive parents, abusive step-parents, siblings running away from home in high school, multiple divorces, just a bunch of bad stuff. Yet they both came out of that life and went to college. Having no help whatsoever, they both had to work to get money for tuition, often having one person work while the other went to school once they had gotten together. It took them ten years in total for both to get their degrees, and now both of them are very successful at what they do and make a good living off of it. I certainly can't complain since I got great education and never had to worry about my livelihood. It's easy to see just how far my parents have come when I meet with the rest of the family and realize that my family is the only one with both parents in the professional world and I'm the only direct cousin with a degree (though that will change in a couple years).

As a side note to that, my dad is also a co-founder in a new company that could become the next big thing in text communications, so that's pretty awesome.

Historically, there is one cool aspect to my family that we know about. On my dad's side of the family, way back during the Revolutionary War, my family actually owned the farm at Valley Forge where George Washington had his headquarters during that terrible winter. That's a pretty unique thing to have.
  • edited January 2010
    My father flew this for several years and was later an instructor.

One of my grandfathers (who sadly died when I was very young) was a submarine captain during the early parts of the Cold War. I'm also a descendant of the person who invented the Ukelele.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited January 2010
    My Great Uncle was a professional water skier and had his own show in Hawaii and Texas. He taught me how to water ski and I'm ok but not even near competition level.

He won:

1964 US Team Championships
    1965 World Championship in Queensland, AUS
    1975 Sr. Division slalom, jump and overall Champ
    Had 4 national titles in slalom
    1976 Set Slalom record
    1978 National titles in slalom, jump and overall
    5 Years in Mens IV and won twice in slalom
    1986 at 47yrs became the first to run a full pass at -38 in the south central region.

A few members of my family put together some video of his various shows also.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • Me and my brother are 8th generation Texans, and my ancestors donated a large portion of the land that the main campus of Texas A&M sits on.
    Beyond that not much interesting here, parents do science/teach, my farfar was Knighted in Denmark, my grandfather (mothers side) was Native American, not much recently really.
  • edited January 2010
    Hmmm. There's interesting bits. Nothing really cool, but historically interesting.

Well, as most we came to America just like most blacks, but in the 1800's most likely post civil war there was a town in Tennessee. It was Gadsonville and my ancestors lived there. The details are fuzzy, but the gist was that someone wanted the land and was willing to pay. One brother wanted to money and the other thought they should stay. Over the dispute the brother that wanted to sell killed the other. It resulted in killers half of the family staying there and the victim half later settling down in Washington D.C. My family has been in this city for generations, and am the latest in that line to live here.

A lot of the men served in the military and fought in the old wars.
    A lot of the women in my family take up medicine as a profession. That's cool and useful.

My Grandfather was the best black bowler in the city and the first to bowl a 300 game. Thus all the children bowled. My Mother was a league bowler too, but had to quit due to injury. I suck at bowling. Lineage means nothing here. :P

My mother used to be a model. Nothing big time, but it ended when she starting hanging with the bad crowd. She was locally popular for a time and was the prettiest in her high school and the family. She was a very wild outspoken women for better and worse. I like to think the better parts of her rubbbed off on me.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • My Great-Great Grandfather on my father's side fought in the Civil War and was imprisoned in Andersonville Prison, the most horrific POW camp in the Civil War, and survived to live a long, healthy life.
  • I mostly know about my (Mostly Fermanagh and Cork)Irish Family, but the few quick facts I remember about my family -
    • They founded, built, owned and operated the Red Range butter factory, as well as owning masses of land all along Red Range, which at one point was a massive dairy farm in NSW, exporting butter to Britain, and being supplied by roughly 100 local dairy farms at the time
    • They were the ones who first imported and raised what is now one of Australia's most popular beef cattle.
    • I'm related to most of the Cirsons in the UK, And every single Cirson in australia.
    • They owned a champion racehorse called Gayboy. Don't start.
    • At one point, they owned most of the Southside of Brisbane, though long ago - by the time of my great grandfather, it was only most of the Mt Gravatt area
    • My mother used to be a champion hockey player, and a champion swimmer. She nearly went to the olympics for both events before a knee injury and surgery ended her career.
    • My grandfather was imprisoned in an Japanese POW camp, and worked on the Burma railway during the time
    • My father has been inducted into indigenous society(as have I), and received his paints from the Mt Isa Mob. He also discovered some ancient rock-paintings.
    Also, not my family, but one of my girlfriend's korean great-grandfathers once stabbed a tiger to death, while drunk, on his way home from a bar.
  • Churba's list
    You know, the typical Australian stuff.
  • My dad went to Otakon with me on a few occasions and enjoyed himself greatly.
  • edited February 2010
    My mom also went to Otakon with me, twice. In fact, she went to meet Rym and the crew with me when I was supposed to be staying in their hotel room. (We had never met them at that point.)

My mom is super funny sometimes. We were talking about the snowstorm and asked how much snow we got and if we still had power. I told her we got a little over a foot, and that we are fine, but further upstate Monroe got killed. To which she replied, "Oh, no! Is that someone's dog?" (Monroe is a place in New York.)
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • Yeah...Monroe County is dying...Rochester is packed with snow. Freaking ridiculous...
  • edited February 2010
    My stepfather was once goalkeeper of the Austrian national Handball team.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • My stepfather was once goalkeeper of the Austrian nationalHandballteam.
    Um, That seems to be a picture of that Hockey dude, Suomi.
  • Yeah...Monroe County is dying...Rochester is packed with snow. Freaking ridiculous...
    Welcome to the snow belt.
  • My stepfather was once goalkeeper of the Austrian nationalHandballteam.
    Um, That seems to be a picture of that Hockey dude, Suomi.
    Oops, apparently the clipboard did not take it :/
    Fixed it now.