This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Abhorsen series by Garth Nix

edited January 2010 in Everything Else
Anyone read this series by Garth Nix? The first book is called Sabriel which I listened to in audio book form. It's read by Tim Curry. I thought he did a great job in the reading. The book is about a walled off kingdom. The walled kingdom is the only country to have magic. The magic specifically covered is necromancy. I thought the first book was great. The main protagonist is full of awesome and she just plain kicks ass. The 2nd one titled Lirael in comparison to the first is really slow to start. And the two protagonist in the 2nd book are full of angst, mopey, and antisocial. It's a bit off putting but not enough to want to know what happens next.

Comments

• edited January 2010
    I read the first book a few years ago, and I remember enjoying it. I can't actually remember much of it (I think I'm getting plot details mixed up with Inkheart in my head), but I do remember that the way it dealt with necromancy was interesting. It's one of the few times I've seen it portrayed as something that isn't totally evil.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited January 2010
    I remember getting Sabriel from my elementary school library. I liked the cover a lot more than the book.

I read his book Aenir around the same time. I think I liked that one better, but probably because it was a kid's book and easier for me to get into.
    Post edited by whatever on