This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Trijicon fuck up

2»

Comments

• edited January 2010
    it's important enough to take action agains
    I think this would have been handled much better behind closed doors. Speaking as a gov't contractor, when the gov't asks you to do something, they're just being polite. What they mean is you better have a damn good reason if you don't do it. Getting the media involved only puts Trijicon on the defensive because of people like you getting all excited about the impacts to foreign policy. In their mind they're just trying to give the soldiers the blessing of god so that they'll hopefully go home to their families alive. So a minor contract issue has been turned into a PR nightmare, because there's no way to reconcile the two extremes in this matter.
    Speaking also as a DoD contractor, I find it fairly disgusting that Trijicon feels the need to willing disobey a miltary order. They should have know this was a ticking time bomb with the media but instead they decided to be all cutesy about it with a little wink.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I find it fairly disgusting that Trijicon feels the need to willing disobey a miltary order willingly.
    I believe them when they say they're not doing anything illegal, or more correctly I believe that that's what they believed. Whether or not this is illegal is not for me to decide. But making a media issue about this is not how I would have liked it handled.
  • Self-regulation only works when there is a viable threat of public outcry.
  • Mountains and mole-hills I say. I think the vast majority of people here are conflating active and aggressive with something that is very passive and minor. This is a, what 1cm tall, word that is a coded reference to what appears to be non-inflammatory religious text, with the intent of good will, placed in a manner that only someone looking for it would really notice it. That's pretty minor shit to me, and pretty much undeserving of serious discussion.
    Now whether this counts as some sort of breach of contract or is deceitful practice, is another matter and really of more importance than any other. If the government was fully unaware of this, the company was actively trying to hide it, and the references were something more than "you're great" maybe we'd have an issue.
  • edited January 2010
    This is a, what 3mm tall,
    FTFY
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Hm, I'm a little torn about this. One the one hand, Trijicon is only doing this for items supplied to the military. They don't appear to be pushing any particular agenda, and I can't find anything that says they're proselytizing to troops, but I still generally dislike that.

On the other hand, I can't see this particularly hurting foreign relations. For one, nobody noticed until now, and it's been this way for 30 goddamn years. This tells me that they're not exactly pushing anything with this. It also means that the soldiers probably aren't emphasizing the religious end of things to Islamic zealots, probably because they're too busy fighting. I also don't really see how this could look any worse to Islamic zealots than it already looks; they already treat this as a religious war, so at most, this would just be additional confirmation in their minds. You can't reason with the irrational.

All in all, I don't think this will amount to much of anything. I don't see Trijicon pushing much of an agenda at all, and the fact that people haven't really made noise about it until now just reinforces that. I'm also sure that Islamic extremists are more concerned with being shot in the face than they are with anything else.

One thing that I find interesting: if we're off in a foreign country, shooting people in the face and wrecking their homes, why are we terribly concerned about offending them in the process? Does that seem a little backwards to anyone else?
  • One thing that I find interesting: if we're off in a foreign country, shooting people in the face and wrecking their homes, why are we terribly concerned aboutoffendingthem in the process? Does that seem a little backwards to anyone else?
    DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING
  • edited January 2010
    One thing that I find interesting: if we're off in a foreign country, shooting people in the face and wrecking their homes, why are we terribly concerned aboutoffendingthem in the process? Does that seem a little backwards to anyone else?
    Well, that we may be, but there's no sense in being impolite about it.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited January 2010
    As an American consumer, I could care less about what you stamp on my weapons provided they work. Give me a weapon stamped with Satanic symbols, or little Shivas and Upanishad codes, or little codes to books of Atheist lit. I could care less provided the thing does what its intended to do in a battle, which is kill the other guy before he kills me.

Now, as a Catholic? Stamping references to the New Testament on weapons of war is a bit fucked up, given the pacifist nature of that text. However, I could see someone stamping an Old Testament reference on a weapon; those books are all about righteous vengeance. Ezekiel 38:22, for example: "I will execute judgment upon him with plague and bloodshed; I will pour down torrents of rain, hailstones and burning sulfur on him and on his troops and on the many nations with him."

Of course, we'd be better off with a nice, completely secular military, right down to the materiel. However, sometimes life sucks.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Acceptable: Ezekiel 25:17:
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
  • Ezekiel 38:22, for example: "I will execute judgment upon him with plague and bloodshed; I will pour down torrents of rain, hailstones and burning sulfur on him and on his troops and on the many nations with him."
    Gotta admit, it'd be pretty badass to have this stamped on a gun. I might have this engraved in the AR I'm building.

On a serious note, I think they were going for a, "may god watch over you and bring you home safely" thing rather than a "rain hell fire on the non-believers" thing.
  • The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
    Tarantino attributes that to the bible, but it actually comes from an old Sonny Chiba flick. Bodyguard Kiba, as I recall.

Still, Sonny Chiba deserves to have something related to him engraved on all instruments of kickassery.
  • edited January 2010
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • *clap clap*
  • Victory
    I can't believe ABC called them Jesus rifles, classy.
  • I can't believe ABC called them Jesus rifles, classy.
    Yeah, that was a little tactless for a major news network.

Also, this victory is canceled out ten-thousandfold by Citizens United v. FEC. The US government has basically reached out to corporations and said, "Bribe us! It's legal now!"
  • I can't believe ABC called them Jesus rifles, classy.
    Yeah, that was a little tactless for a major news network.
    They are just using a quote by a spokesperson from the Military Religious Freedom Foundation.
  • They are just using a quote by a spokesperson from the Military Religious Freedom Foundation.
    Well, that make more sense.
  • They are just using a quote by a spokesperson from the Military Religious Freedom Foundation.
    Well, that make more sense.
    Yeah...because reading the article totally wouldn't have told you that. :/
  • Yeah...because reading the article totally wouldn't have told you that. :/
    Relax, I missed the second page. Plus, I read the first page in a rush anyway, because I caught all the info through Boingboing.