This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20100119 - Street Fighting Secrets

Comments

• Uh...Jay? Try not to assume that everyone knows the terminology of the game, since not everyone will know that "BnB Combo" means "Bread and Butter Combo". I bet a lot of people don't even know what a "crumple" is.
  • JayJay
    edited January 2010
    Uh...Jay? Try not to assume that everyone knows the terminology of the game, since not everyone will know that "BnB Combo" means "Bread and Butter Combo". I bet a lot of people don't even know what a "crumple" is.
    The amazing power of Google can help with such things. Or friendly people like you ;). I never explained what c.lk or s.mk is either. *shrugs* At some point you have to look stuff up yourself or you probably don't care enough to need the knowledge. Though I guess BnB is obscure enough to warrant explanation. I still stand by my flagrant use of the rest of my shorthand :P.
    Post edited by Jay on
  • Got about a 19% win rate
    Better than me! Also, I"m pretty sure that PC players can fight against 360 players online.
    Well the majority of my wins are mostly from idiot players who kept on challenging me and losing (I remember one just challenged me at least five times before I just quit the game), my "legit" (as in players actually giving me a challenge) win rate would've been about 5%.

I have to say, after listening to this episode, I have gotten a bit better at playing the game, even after months of inactivity. Such as learning how to cancel, something I had difficulty with because it's was not easily explained to me in the past. Now I'm trying to use the Negative Edge (or using the "button release").

===========

Now who are your mains? I'm currently trying to be competent with Rose. My thumbs are just too twitchy that I'll be launching off random moves left and right.
    1. The amazing power of Google can help with such things. Or friendly people like you ;). I never explained what c.lk or s.mk is either. *shrugs* At some point you have to look stuff up yourself or you probably don't care enough to need the knowledge.

Well...it would have helped if you...put a key or something that defined what the terminology was though...
  • JayJay
    edited January 2010
    Now who are your mains? I'm currently trying to be competent with Rose. My thumbs are just too twitchy that I'll be launching off random moves left and right.
    Make your life easy. Avoid Rose, Vega (claw), Dan, Gouken, El Fuerte, Sakura. These characters are very underpowered compared to the rest of the cast. It requires allot of practice and allot of match up knowledge to be successful with them against even mediocre players.

My Mains are Honda and Blanka. I am presently learning Rufus as it's nice to be good with a tier one character.
    Post edited by Jay on
  • Now who are your mains? I'm currently trying to be competent with Rose. My thumbs are just too twitchy that I'll be launching off random moves left and right.
    Make your life easy. Avoid Rose, Vega (claw), Dan, Gouken, El Fuerte, Sakura. These characters are very underpowered compared to the rest of the cast. It requires allot of practice and allot of match up knowledge to be successful with them against even mediocre players.
    Therein lies the challenge...I actually find the challenge of practicing and/or attempting to master a seemingly broken character very interesting and exciting.
  • JayJay
    edited January 2010
    Therein lies the challenge...I actually find the challenge of practicing and/or attempting to master a seemingly broken character very interesting and exciting.
    Broken character usually is a term meaning they're overpowered ;). They "broke" the game.

Hehe I understand this. My best character is Honda and he is way down on most Tier lists. I didn't say it wasn't rewarding. Just its an uphill battle. Also, I add Gen to that list. Gen is by far the hardest character to use in the game. Though he can do some crazy shit if you learn him. He has the most entertaining pro videos. Just youtube Asiantom Street Fighter 4.
    Post edited by Jay on
  • Though, I've had Funfetus added for months and never played him. Need to get around to that.
    Yeah, I think I forgot that was you. I haven't played much the last few months, but this episode got me playing a bit again. I'll challenge you if I see you.
  • The best part of playing Rose is using her "SOUL FUCK!" projectile.

My main used to be Vega (claw), mostly because I love the challenge. I still use him from time to time, but I've been liking Guile a lot more recently.
  • I look at the abyss and I bought this:
    Modding will occur as soon as I get the parts and the stick.
    In the mean time I am starting to hate on people that disconnect during a fight because I was about to beat their asses :S
  • In the mean time I am starting to hate on people that disconnect during a fight because I was about to beat their asses :S
    Ugh. What's the point of even playing a game if you're going to do that kind of shit?

On the other hand, one time my internet lagged out and disconnected me, and I got hatemail from the guy I was playing. :P
  • I've never had someone disconnect on purpose. Also, it displays people's disconnect rates, and I've never seen anyone with a high one.
  • In the mean time I am starting to hate on people that disconnect during a fight because I was about to beat their asses :S
    Ugh. What's the point of even playing a game if you're going to do that kind of shit?
    Because people care more about their "internet penis" than having fun :S
  • Does a disconnect count as a loss? If so, it doesn't really matter.
  • Does a disconnect count as a loss? If so, it doesn't really matter.
    What it gets me is that I want to play, and then suddenly they go away :(
  • edited January 2010
    So I played a bunch tonight. I did a lot better than usual. I actually won a few times. Really good players still destroy me, of course. I don't even get a hit in. It's a miracle if they don't perfect me. Three things I noticed.

I practiced the focus->dash through fireball in training. I was perfect at it. But when it came to play against people, I couldn't do it at all. The problem? Even if there is no lag at all, it seems like the timing is slightly off on the Internet games. The focus attacks, specifically are off. I have to work on it.

People don't use microphones. The game is setup to where you can talk to the other player before and during the fight. I have been chatting it up, and I KNOW people can hear me. The thing is, nobody talks back. The two people who used their mics at all set them up wrong, and I was just hearing the output from their speakers through the mic. Very annoying! Makes it impossible to play with that noise. I occasionally hear people cough, so I know they have mics! Chat it up! I guess it could be worse. Everyone could be shitcocking.

Lastly, I need a anti-air for when I stand up. I've gotten pretty good at hitting people with roundhouse kick or fierce punch when they try to jump in on me. I can even sometimes hit them with ultra after hitting them with anti-air. One matter that emerged was that people will have a jump kick time to hit me as soon as I stand up from being knocked down. I need some sort of move to avoid this. I tried a few things, and they just don't work. Even worse is when they cross-up into some combo. It's ok if I lose, but when I lose to a repeating pattern that I can't figure out how to defend, that is most upsetting.

Heck, I can't even stop people who just repeat jumping roundhouse, crouching roundhouse, jumping roundhouse, crouching roundhouse.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Everyone could be shitcocking.
    But it's a fighting game, the only time trash-talking is permissible, even if it is shitcocking.
  • edited January 2010
    People don't use microphones.
    Most people don't play with mics in order to minimize any sort of potential lag.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • People don't use microphones.
    Most people don't play with mics in order to minimize any sort of potential lag.
    It has no effect.
  • People don't use microphones.
    It has no effect.
    I think it falls in the same category as the people who think that anything bellow 70FPS hinders their pwning abilities on Counter Strike.
  • I think it falls in the same category as the people who think that anything bellow 70FPS hinders their pwning abilities on Counter Strike.
    The thing is that to play Street fighter online you need almost no bandwidth. What data do you have to send? Hadouken is not a lot of data. What matters is ping. Low ping = low lag. I bet if you connected two computers directly to each other with 56k models the game would run super fast. The voice requires bandwidth to be higher quality, but it isn't going to interfere with the ping. Perhaps it could interfere slightly, but only if the game was stupid and prioritized the voice data over the game data. In my experience, the game is programmed well, and this is not a problem.
  • The thing is that to play Street fighter online you need almost no bandwidth. What data do you have to send? Hadouken is not a lot of data. What matters is ping. Low ping = low lag. I bet if you connected two computers directly to each other with 56k models the game would run super fast. The voice requires bandwidth to be higher quality, but it isn't going to interfere with the ping. Perhaps it could interfere slightly, but only if the game was stupid and prioritized the voice data over the game data. In my experience, the game is programmed well, and this is not a problem.
    Oh, I totally agree on that point, same happens in L4D even though the games does send a lot of data out, the voice chat doesn't affect the ping at all. I'm just saying that it's probably a thing of perception, they think it affects game play, so in their mind it does.
  • Well Scott, I just did a bit of research, and according to this site:

* One of more mobile characters in the game. Can move across the screen very fast.
    * Amazing set of normals. Use standing roundhouse and standing forward as much as you can!
    * Low damage output holds him back from being "Sagat-tier".
    * Has trouble dealing with jump-ins as he has no reliable anti-air.
    * Can only combo into ultra through a LVL2 Focus and j.mpx2.
    * Extremely strong wake-up game. Has many options to punish his opponent.
    * EX-Scissors go through projectiles, making it dangerous for fireball characters to play their "game".
    * Has a teleport which adds to his mobility.
    * Without meter he has a hard time dealing with wakeup games.
    So...ouch.
  • It has no effect.
    That's the excuse most people use.
  • JayJay
    edited January 2010
    Lastly, I need a anti-air for when I stand up. I've gotten pretty good at hitting people with roundhouse kick or fierce punch when they try to jump in on me. I can even sometimes hit them with ultra after hitting them with anti-air. One matter that emerged was that people will have a jump kick time to hit me as soon as I stand up from being knocked down. I need some sort of move to avoid this. I tried a few things, and they just don't work. Even worse is when they cross-up into some combo. It's ok if I lose, but when I lose to a repeating pattern that I can't figure out how to defend, that is most upsetting.

Heck, I can't even stop people who just repeat jumping roundhouse, crouching roundhouse, jumping roundhouse, crouching roundhouse.
    Teleport, block, ex-headstomp, backdash, focus backdash. I believe these are generally Bison's wake up options. For being crossed up I would suggest mixing up ex head stomps and teleporting. Constantly being crossed up is annoying. I know when I'm learning characters and I am not used to their wake up options a Ryu/Ken doing cross up combo's is a very hard deal with. Also, Bison's teleport is very punishable so you may want to get used to just judging how to block and using the teleport sparingly. That being said, very few people are actually good enough to properly punish his teleport. As such you could just not care that it's not safe and abuse it in wake up game.
    Post edited by Jay on
  • I spent some time today learning Balrog, and I found a trick that's applicable to all charge characters. (By "found", I mean found it on the internet, not discovered it.)

Basically, instead of [charge back, forward, punch], you [charge back, forward, back, punch] -- you have to do it really quickly. This way, you're already charging your next attack before your first one even comes out. It gives you a few extra frames head start on your next charge, which can be a big advantage, as you can see from this guy's crazy Guile combos.
  • edited February 2010
    I started practicing that charging trick today. It's very very helpful. It's much more useful for Guile than for Bison, but still very good.

In other news, I'm better than before, I think maybe? I played online a bunch today, and I actually won sometimes. Some of the opponents were pretty bad, but my BP is increasing slowly but steadily.

Lastly, I learned what I think might be Bison's highest damage combo, although I don't think it's technically a combo. Here's how it goes.

First you have to have the ultra ready, and two bars on the super meter. Surprisingly enough, you will have that much meter just about every round if you don't just get killed immediately.

Jump in with an attack and throw in a few normal hits while charging back. Just do a typical Bison combo ending with scissor kick of any size. However, now you must do the focus attack cancel. If you have two bars of super, then you can cancel the second half of the scissor kick into a focus attack. This is where the combo might technically end, because the other player may or may not be able to poke you during the focus charge. If it's Ken with a fiery shoryuken, you might be in trouble. However, the other player is rarely able to react quickly enough, and most of the time they can't react. At worst they will hit your focus sheild and then you'll let the focus loose. You just need the focus to be level 2 for it to work. This will crumple the opponent. I hope you were charging back during the focus attack because as soon as their knees hit the ground you let loose the ultra, and they can't do jack shit about it.

I did this in the training room several times. The entire sequence took about 80% of the other guys health away. I haven't been able to pull it off in a fight yet, but I'm practicing. My strategy is to do an EX head stomp against someone in the corner to put them on the floor. Then jump in with the combo as they get up, and let the whole thing loose. If I can practice this, I might have a semi-repeatable way to defeat many opponents. If I take 80% of someone's health in one go, then that will significantly increase my chances of winning the round, if it doesn't actually win the round immediately. Also, it will get me more ultra victories, which I think demoralize the opponent a lot more.

I've also gotten a little better at standing up and teleporting away from danger. I still need to practice teleport a LOT more, though.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I need to practice that charge trick with my Honda and Blanka. It might be very useful. I will report back soon.
  • I need to practice that charge trick with my Honda and Blanka. It might be very useful. I will report back soon.
    It's really good with blanka because a lot of his ball attacks allow you to bounce far away after you hit. Since you can charge the entire time you are bouncing away, that trick allows you to basically turn Blanka into a pinball bouncing around non-stop.
  • Welcome to competitive Street Fighter play, Scott. How does it feel?