This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20100119 - Street Fighting Secrets

12346»

Comments

• I can't believe I'm still reading this thread.
  • No, it's invisible. You create a counter ki in your body by focusing your spirit on the arms. If, while blocking a hadoken in this manner, you were hit from behind by another hadoken, it would probably kill you.
    If only this were true. I've been hit with hadoukens from behind while blocking the wrong direction about a zillion times. It does just as much damage as any other unblocked hadouken.
  • If only this were true. I've been hit with hadoukens from behind while blocking the wrong direction about a zillion times. It does just as much damage as any other unblocked hadouken.
    That's because you're playing a trained fighter with extra ki. It's like a Y-Wing putting shields to forward, but still having enough shield left to put some in the rear.

Scott Rubin dies from a rear hadoken. Ryu doesn't.
  • Scott Rubin dies from a rear hadoken. Ryu doesn't.
  • Scott Rubin dies from a rear hadoken. Ryu doesn't.
  • How dare you make fun of the great Frank Dux. Watch out now, he might find you and do the Dim Mak to you. ^_~
  • Watch out now, he might find you and do the Dim Mak to you. ^_~
    FIVE POINT PALM EXPLODING HEART TECHNIQUE
  • Chong Li > Dux. Dux just had moves with way too high priority.
  • Arghh, the buttons on my joystick are starting to seize up. Jab and weak kick are sticking at least once a fight. The worst part it's hard to tell mid fight if I just missed a button input or if the button seized. I only noticed after I went into training mode. Upon further investigation I found that my stick is a "good" mass production stick but it fails over time. I got this second hand so I likley picked it up on the tail end of its 2-3 year life span. Oh well, I got it cheap. Now that I know I'm going to keep using a stick I will find a good custom stick maker in the area and get one made.

So Fetus, if you want to beat me in a fight now is the time. I'm playing with a handicap at the moment ;).
  • So Fetus, if you want to beat me in a fight now is the time. I'm playing with a handicap at the moment ;).
    Aaaaaah, where's the honor in that? :) (I'd take you up, but I'm much too busy for vidjagames right now.)
    I found that my stick is a "good" mass production stick but it fails over time.
    What stick is it? Could you replace the buttons?
  • JayJay
    edited February 2010
    I found that my stick is a "good" mass production stick but it fails over time.
    What stick is it? Could you replace the buttons?
    Hori Ex2 Fight stick. It is the cheapest stick they sell (along with the Wii and PS3 equivalent). Very good for the price point, but you get what you pay for. The buttons are soldered onto the board instead of using quick connect cables. Also, the gate for the joystick and the buttons are a non standard size. You can replace the buttons but it's a pain in the ass. I found a guy that will make stick's that can switch between 360 and PS3 with a switch. I'm going to get a price quote this week. I imagine it's pricey to have the switch as he would have to cannibalize a 360 and PS3 controller but for my second stick I want something good.
    Post edited by Jay on
  • I imagine it's pricey to have the switch as he would have to cannibalize a 360 and PS3 controller but for my second stick I want something good.
    Custom sticks are always pretty pricey to begin with, but I think dual-PCB sticks are pretty common. It can't add THAT much to the price in the grand scheme of things.
  • JayJay
    edited March 2010
    I've been playing once a week recently with a few higher level players I found in my area. Surprisingly, I was able to catch up to their level of play (well slightly below their level of play but close). If I can keep on improving I may start entering tournaments soon. I don't plan on being able to get in top 8 for anything very large but I'm starting to think I can hang with the good players at small-mid size tournaments.

It would be really interesting to see how good I could get if I went on a schedule of playing a several hours every day with good players to see if I could get to a pro level or if I'd plateau below it, but unfortunately I have a job now so such geek dreams will not be fulfilled. I wish this game came out when I was in University. I would much rather be all pro at Street Fighter then at Brawl.

On a sad note I am now drastically better then any of my immediate friends. Even the one guy that I played with that was also decent at the game refuses to play me. It's lonely at the top...

Also, SSF4, I really like the characters they added. I love the way Dudley and Hakan look and move. I'll probably pick up the game for 360 so I can actually play people online. Instead of having to search for 10 minutes to find a game that has a decent ping on PC.
    Post edited by Jay on
  • Yeah, should I get Super SFIV for 360 or PC.

I have an HTPC connected to the TV now as well as the 360. The stick I have works with both.

Tough decision.
  • JayJay
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, should I get Super SFIV for 360 or PC.

I have an HTPC connected to the TV now as well as the 360. The stick I have works with both.

Tough decision.
    If your buying it new get it for 360. For PC I believe there is a 3-6 month delay before it will be released, and it will be even longer before you see the epic Steam price drops. Also, there are many more players on 360, as such your more likely to find matches with players of similar skill level. If you plan to play online 360 is the much better choice.
    Post edited by Jay on
  • Just found out my Mad Catz TE stick for PS3 doesn't work with any backwards compatible PS2 games. I was looking forward to playing Street Fighter III 3rd Strike and Street Fighter Alpha Anthology with it. But alas, that dream is now dead :-(
    I'm seriously considering selling it and buying a 360 stick and SSFIV game since I've heard this stick works with backwards compatible Xbox games. Does anyone know if it does?
  • I'm seriously considering selling it and buying a 360 stick and SSFIV game since I've heard this stick works with backwards compatible Xbox games. Does anyone know if it does?
    I don't see why it wouldn't. It even works with the PC, which is the reason I bought it.