This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rome

edited January 2010 in Everything Else
So in two weeks I am rolling out to Rome for a week of cultural experiences, almost every night has been booked for Opera or Drama stuffs, so I ask the Ivory Tower of the internet: What to do in Rome that is not the normal tourist stuff. (BTW I can speak basic Italian, asking for directions, food and basic conversation skills)

Comments

• All I have to say is "You lucky bugger."
    I hope I get to go someday. My Aunt went and she thought it was a wonderful city.
  • edited January 2010
    I am rolling out to Rome
    This Man Robot approves
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Go here.

If you can, take the bus to Tivoli for a day and see the fountains, and Hadrian's Villa.

Oh, and if you visit the Vatican, make sure you go to the top of St. Peter's. The view is really worth the climb.
  • All I have to say is "You lucky bugger."
    I hope I get to go someday.
    Seconded. I can't give any specific advice, but from what my friends tell me, you're going to have some fun. Make sure you go eat a whole lot of good food, I have a friend from around those parts, and he tells me that it can't be beat. And the city itself is apparently beautiful. Enjoy yourself, fortunate one... *envy*
  • Get ice cream, and be a tourist. A relaxed tourist. Don't go running about stressing trying to see everything.
    All I have to say is "You lucky bugger."
    I hope I get to go someday. My Aunt went and she thought it was a wonderful city.
    Buy a plane ticket and go. You have a job, so you have the funds.
  • I've only been to Rome once, and the only Italian I ever spoke was, "Uno gusto di limone gelato per favore," and that got me through the entire trip. Otherwise, Coliseum is pretty nice. The Vatican was amazing, if you can stand the wait or afford to take a guided tour. Even if you can afford the tour, waiting is worth the freedom it gives you. If you aren't just staying in Rome, I highly recommend La Spezia. There is also a very nice little town near it, whose name escapes me. I'll probably edit this post with it's name in the near future. Otherwise, just walk around and go where ever your interest takes you. The flea market is also worth a look.
  • I mainly did the usual tourist stuff, wondering around the streets sticking my head in just about every church or museum I walked by (It's pretty much always worthwhile), and of course the Vatican and the Colosseum are a must.

One place I came across by chance that may be of interest is the Mostra di Leonardo, a museum focused on Leonardo da Vinci where they've actually made a lot of the designs in his manuscripts out of wood.It was a bit pricey for what it was, but I guess in Rome you have to grade on a curve.

A nice introduction to the city is the free walking tour. They do a few throughout the day all starting from the Spanish Steps. The do ask for tips at the end, but a few Euro is still a pretty good price for what you get.

A warning, don't buy stuff from the street vendors near the big landmarks. For a burger and a bottle of coke you won't get much change from 10 Euros.
  • If you can, go to Lucca. It's basically full of awesome shit, but relatively few tourists go there.
  • edited January 2010
    A warning, don't buy stuff from the street vendors near the big landmarks. For a burger and a bottle of coke you won't get much change from 10 Euros.
    I know it sounds incredibly racist, but don't trust the Gypsies in Rome.

Also, if you wander up to the "typewriter" above the forum, there's a really cool free museum with a bunch of Roman stuff.

EDIT: Huh. I just read the wikipedia entry on that, and the history is actually pretty interesting. I didn't know it had a name that wasn't derogatory.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Buy a plane ticket and go. You have a job, so you have the funds.
    I don't have the vacation, you crazy European with all your holidays!
  • Buy a plane ticket and go. You have a job, so you have the funds.
    I don't have the vacation, you crazy European with all your holidays!
    Combined with easy to cross borders and schools that discount trips to much!

• I know it sounds incredibly racist, but don't trust the Gypsies in Rome.
    No, seriously, fucking don't. They are not the charming and only slightly dodgey romany people of old.
  • I don't have the vacation, you crazy European with all your holidays!
    So you do have the funds? Well then quit your job, buy a plane ticket and go. You are capable, but unwilling.
    schools that discount trips
    Lolwut? I wish. School trips always cost a lot, and there's only a few options, most being trash.
  • Lolwut? I wish. School trips always cost a lot, and there's only a few options, most being trash.
    But usually less than going on your own, considering what you get for it.
  • But usually less than going on your own, considering what you get for it.
    Not really. The only time where a school trip was cheaper than going yourself was if you were in that one class that still took either of the ancient languages. Which were partially subsidized by all the other folks going. Even then, they still cost a lot and you only really get the trip there, the lodging, food and the trip back.
    So you do have the funds? Well then quit your job, buy a plane ticket and go. You are capable, but unwilling.
    If she quits her job she will no longer have income. Think your statements through.
    If she quits her job she will no longer have income. Think your statements through.
    Plus, from what I hear, she loves her job and loves her co-workers. I've never had a full-time job, so I don't really know, but I get the impression that it is hard to find a job that you both enjoy and have co-workers that are cool, interesting, and/or easy-to-get-along.
  • I get the impression that it is hard to find a job that you both enjoy and have co-workers that are cool, interesting, and/or easy-to-get-along.
    YES. VERY MUCH THIS.
    Plus, from what I hear, she loves her job and loves her co-workers. I've never had a full-time job, so I don't really know, but I get the impression that it is hard to find a job that you both enjoy and have co-workers that are cool, interesting, and/or easy-to-get-along.
    People in Europe are cooler and more laid back
  • If she quits her job she will no longer have income. Think your statements through.
    I thought it through, I don't see the problem. Any decent employer would allow their employees ample time for self-discovery and unwinding. Oh wait, Americans, no wait just the subsection that lives in the USA, can't inconvenience the employer. That would be bad. If you want to go to Rome. Go to Rome and stop being a workaholic.
  • Perhaps I will, eventually.
    However, in this case the release of the next game is directly tied to my being here, so I think I will do it at a more opportune moment.
    I agree that Americans (and Japanese people) work too much.

Also, there is awesome happening at work right now. Big, secret things. That is all.
  • GeoGeo
    edited January 2010
    I thought it through, I don't see the problem. Any decent employer would allow their employees ample time for self-discovery and unwinding. Oh wait, Americans, no wait just the subsection that lives in the USA, can't inconvenience the employer. That would be bad. If you want to go to Rome. Go to Rome and stop being a workaholic.
    But what if her job doesn't give her enough vacation days to justify a trip, as awesome as it might be?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • But what if her job doesn't give her enough vacation days to justify a trip, as awesome as it might be?
    Then it cannot be an awesome job.
  • But what if her job doesn't give her enough vacation days to justify a trip, as awesome as it might be?
    So the work involved doesn't matter, but the perks do?
    So the work involved doesn't matter, but the perks do?
    We do have free healthcare here if that is what you are talking about.....
  • I now have B52's "Roam" stuck in my head.
  • So the work involved doesn't matter, but the perks do?
    I never said the work doesn't matter, only that the 'perks' (normal vacation time is not a perk, it's a requirement) also matter.
  • Game Studio Job > Rome Vacation

Not that they have to be mutually exclusive, but we shall see.
  • <3 my 4 weeks of vacation plus 5 and a half personal holidays and week of sick time. (if I would just get promoted to a salaried position (probably this year) I'll get another week!) (one week is a week I keep bringing over from the year before though :-p)